Thread: How to remove used coffee?

How to remove used coffee?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I use an entry level Sunbeam espresso machine and it creates very good coffee and the milk steamer is great as well.* Cant see any reason to go for anything more expensive.

One question I have is: is there some gadget or something that can help in removing the used coffee grinds from the little metal container after a coffee has been made?

At the moment I use a teaspoon to scoop it out and then have to run both the container and the handle under water. I dont mind the running under water bit but I was hoping there was a gadget to kind of scoop out the used coffee for me.* Is there anything around?* What is the best way to do this?

Re: How to remove used coffee?

If you are in melbourne this would be perfect
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1334473829/0#0
    and its free

Hi Craig,

Sounds like what you are looking for is a "knock box," basically a box with a sturdy bar across the top to hit the portafilter head on to knock out the coffee puck.

Im sure if you look at the sponsors web pages you will find one at a reasonable price, in a colour to suit your kitchen.

Good luck

Russell

Russell,

Its not so much knocking out the puck, I dont mind prising that out with my fingernails, but its getting the used coffee out thats a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D3A3C3C2A23232D4F0 link=1334475466/2#2 date=1334480269
    Hi Craig,

Sounds like what you are looking for is a "knock box,"* basically a box with a sturdy bar across the top to hit the portafilter* head on to knock out the coffee puck.

Im sure if you look at the sponsors web pages you will find one at a reasonable price, in a colour to suit your kitchen.

Good luck

Russell

i think youre confusing the filter basket with a coffee puck... The filter basket (the metal filter) stays in the handle.. you knock the whole thing onto a knock box and the coffee ground puck falls out

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2030/2237846707_89d10bf6a1.jpg

OK, the puck is the used coffee.* But I cant imagine the puck would just be knocked out as suggested.* It seems too mushy when I get to it.* Does that indicate I am doing something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by 6C5D4E4648652F0 link=1334475466/5#5 date=1334491392
    OK, the puck is the used coffee. But I cant imagine the puck would just be knocked out as suggested. It seems too mushy when I get to it. Does that indicate I am doing something wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by 6C5D4E4648652F0 link=1334475466/0#0 date=1334475466
    Cant see any reason to go for anything more expensive.
    yes and no, or maybe... there are various reasons for sloppy pucks, including technique and equipment, but the biggest one is using the double-wall basket. Its pressurised and so any excess water will sit in the basket instead of dripping through. My puck knocks out almost completely cleanly so that it only occasionally needs a wipe for the next shot.

dosing and grinding can also contribute.

If you leave the puck in there until youve finished steaming is it any dryer? Otherwise run it under the hot tap / kettle / espresso machine to clean it out without cooling it down too much.

HTH :)

Quote Originally Posted by 7C4D5E5658753F0 link=1334475466/5#5 date=1334491392
    OK, the puck is the used coffee.* But I cant imagine the puck would just be knocked out as suggested.* It seems too mushy when I get to it.* Does that indicate I am doing something wrong?
    Hi, I own a Sunbeam machine too and Ive found that after switching to a single wall filter basket (and getting the dose/tamp right), the puck is quite dry just a few seconds after the shot.

That said, the knock box mentioned above would probably still
    do you good, even with the slightly wet puck.

Good luck!