Thread: Sunbeam EM3600: Uneven flow

Sunbeam EM3600: Uneven flow

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I am a newbie, just bought the Sunbeam EM3600 which seems to make great coffee for the price. I have one quibble: The flow comes out much more on the right side than the left. :o I made sure the machine was exactly level using wedges underneath a board that it sits on, however it still flows more to the right. (Comes out first on right side only, then after a second or two comes out of both). Is this a fault in the machine and should I take it back? or is there another hint someone can give?? Thanks for reading!! :)

Re: Sunbeam EM3600: Uneven flow

Are you grinding your own?

Hey Pixelwarrior, My brain cell tells me that the problem is in the group head, maybe a blockage on one side or a wonky casting. I think that you shouldnt have too great expectations from your machine and you could just put one cup under and split it if necessary after the pour. Otherwise if it is new take it back. Trouble is if you have a machine making good coffee stick with it is what I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by 6F4E58505E497D525E555F3B0 link=1336870751/2#2 date=1336901504
    Hey Pixelwarrior, My brain cell tells me that the problem is in the group head, maybe a blockage on one side or a wonky casting.* I think that you shouldnt have too great expectations from your machine and you could just put one cup under and split it if necessary after the pour. Otherwise if it is new take it back. Trouble is if you have a machine making good coffee stick with it is what I would say.
    Does the water come from the group head evenly? What about a empty pf+basket?

It could just be the black plastic thingy not being level... I think my old one was a little out. It didnt bother me much... Also, are you sure youre tamping level?

Pixelwarrior, Sorry I misled you with the group head scenario. What I meant to imply was that the water comes out of the group head in one flow, through the portafilter in one flow and then the flow is split by the handle. You need to see if you can see the flow coming out of the portfilter and what is happening to it as it hits the flow splitter. I dont know your machine other than the price precludes a whole lot of effort being put into its off the shelf performance. You may have some tweaking to do. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all your replies! Its possible I havent tamped quite evenly, and if all else fails I can do what TuckerFiend suggested and split after the pour. I will also have a closer look at how it pours, as you all suggested. Thanks heaps :)