Thread: Thinking of purchasing a Breville BES840 Infuser Package or a Saeco Via Venezia?

Thinking of purchasing a Breville BES840 Infuser Package or a Saeco Via Venezia?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here so 100% a newbie! I am looking at buying a new machine as my old Sunbeam Cafe Espresso machine of 5 years finally died. I have heard the Saeco Via Venezia is good and seems to have pretty good reviews, I looked at it last night at store and looked ok..I can get it for around $380.I happened to then look at the new Breville BES840 Infuser which happens to have a promotion on at the moment and you receive a free burr grinder with it for $499. The Breville looks like a nice machine and I noticed it has a few different types of baskets included also. What do you reckon???

Re: Thinking of purchasing a Breville BES840 Infuser Package or a Saeco Via Venezia?

Posted this in your other thread - but Ill copy it here too...

What grinder are they offering? a BCG800 or a BCG450. If the former, that sweetens the deal - if the latter, dont bother.
    Do you already have a grinder? Are you looking for a new one?
    Whats your budget? looks like its between $380 and $500. Have you checked the for sale section? There are second hand silvias in excellent condition comIng up in there often for around that price range. I would highly recommend. Not only will a 2nd hand silvia produce better coffee, it will last longer and be worth more money when youre done with it.
    A VV, BES840 or 2nd hand Silvia will cost you (say) about $400 now. If the VV or BES are still working in 3 years time, the VV will be worth about $100, the BES840, id guess about $50. The Silvia will still be working and probably worth between $200-$300 (depending on how good condition you keep it).
    Net result - VV costs you $300, BES840 $350, Silvia $100-$200.

After going from a new appliance coffee machine to a 7 year old premium machine that cost about the same, Id never buy an appliance again.

Re: Thinking of purchasing a Breville BES840 Infuser Package or a Saeco Via Venezia?

Greeneyes81, what new machine did you get?* Ive got a Saeco Via Venezia, and am thinking of upgrading to a BES840.* There are few reviews available of the bes840, and any insights would be helpful.*

If youve not yet decided, understand Ive been quite happy with my Saeco, my reason for upgrading are to get a system with more steam, better temp control, and a 3 way valve.

Hey mate,
    Bought this machine, had it for about a week. Loving it ATM, but still have a lot to learn. Plan on posting up a review when im happy enough with my progress, however im not there yet. But if you have any questions let me know, and Ill be glad to answer as best I can.

Oh and btw, my inlaws own your current machine, which Ive used a fair bit before I got mine, so can probably give a fair assessment.

What did you get in the end? Im also thinking of the BES840 - that or a 2nd hand Rancilio Silvia... Opinions? Cheers, guys...

Quote Originally Posted by 6C7775477A6A77797C61180 link=1337311943/3#3 date=1341502877
    Hey mate,
    Bought this machine, had it for about a week. Loving it ATM, but still have a lot to learn. Plan on posting up a review when im happy enough with my progress, however im not there yet. But if you have any questions let me know, and Ill be glad to answer as best I can.

Oh and btw, my inlaws own your current machine, which Ive used a fair bit before I got mine, so can probably give a fair assessment.
    Much appreciated!* From what I saw from the seattlecoffee gear video, the steam looks ok, but Im curious about the shot temp and hot water tap temp.* Is It above 90C (195f)?

Whats the result in the cup compared to the Saeco?*

Can the hot water tap dispense a full cup of water, and keep the temp high/stable?*

Lastly, how long has it been for sale? There has been so little on the net about this machine, Im a it nervous about getting one, but also helpful it follows in the bes900s path of being a big step up

Quote Originally Posted by 4E676D4451020 link=1337311943/5#5 date=1341600612
    Lastly, how long has it been for sale?
    It was officially announced late Feb this year, not sure when the first units went up for sale but it is a very young machine at this point.