Thread: Uneven flow from start to finish of shot

Uneven flow from start to finish of shot

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, I have a Sunbeam 4800 machine, em480 grinder and am using the single-wall double-shot Krups filter.

When extracting a shot the initial flow from the filter is very fast for about 1-2 seconds (like a gusher I used to get from the Sunbeam double-wall filters) then slows down considerably to a flow, which appears to match what you would expect from a properly ground/dosed/tamped shot.

I have tried several different grind settings, dosing amounts, tamp pressure and methods.

Has anyone experienced this, or does anyone have any advice I could try? Or is it simply a case of experimentation until success??

Thanks so much!

Re: Uneven flow from start to finish of shot

Hi,

Im not 100% sure this suggestion will do anything, but the puck does expand when it first gets wet, which could slow the flow a bit.

If you pre-infuse then you may overcome this - sometimes the thermoblock machines will do it for you by pulsing the pump for the first 5 or so seconds. You can tell by the characteristic bzzz-bzzz-bzzz sort of noise at the start of the pour. Im not sure if the 4800 does this for you. If not, you can wet the puck by manually extracting for 3-5 seconds (so that no water comes out), then wait a few seconds, then start your 25s extraction.

Also, how old are your beans (from date roasted)? If theyre getting past it, you may find you cant grind them properly for a good extraction from the start.

And remember not to get too carried away by various routines - adjust your technique to how it tastes, not to how it may look :) Hope that helps - take some photos or report back with results!

Adjust your total coffee making technique to get the best possible character in the brew, and forget the rest, which I think is what you asked in the last sentence of your question.

Thank you both for the suggestions.

I dont believe the 4800 pre-infuses the puck, so I am currently trying to do it manually.* I have switched to some fresh beans (I was practising with some older ones), and there is some improvement there too.*

Interestingly the older beans ground nicely out of the grinder into the filter.* The newer beans fly out the spout in all directions making a right mess!

Ill keep plugging away, in the end as long as I can be consistent I will be happy!

I also removed the Graeme from the filter handle, but havent found a way to fill the original screw hole.* The flow is sometimes a bit messy without the Graeme, but I guess thats the least of my worries.

Thanks again* :)

Quote Originally Posted by 4A4C4B50554D575B3E0 link=1338622376/3#3 date=1338959273
    Interestingly the older beans ground nicely out of the grinder into the filter. The newer beans fly out the spout in all directions making a right mess!
    you generally need to grind newer beans slightly coarser than stale ones, so they could be a touch fine which adds to their static-ness. Theyre probably also dryer, even though they have better oils when not stale, Ive noticed older beans absorb moisture and hence dont go flying as far!

Quote Originally Posted by 4A4C4B50554D575B3E0 link=1338622376/3#3 date=1338959273
    I also removed the Graeme from the filter handle, but havent found a way to fill the original screw hole. The flow is sometimes a bit messy without the Graeme, but I guess thats the least of my worries.
    Anything will do it - food safe silicone, rubber screw, metal screw, etc.

Hi trunksie,

Following on from Iandbs comments about beans absorbing moisture, I have a little trick with my Sunbeam grinder that seems to reduce the variation of beans aging in the hopper.*
    I modified a soft drink cap and put it on the spout after grinding.* Not sure what others think, but I find I dont have to adjust the grind so much between refills.