Thread: EM3800 woes. They never end.

EM3800 woes. They never end.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys!

I own a EM3800 and have done the old throw the pressurised baskets as far as they fly technique to improve my shots (thankyou Krups double!). Now this worked and had a nice seal on it for a few shots even with the sunbeam group head seal. After a few it got a bit loose and now I have to turn it all the way to the right and even then its not giving up much resistance.

I went about changing the seal and wouldnt ya know it, the shower screen seal screw (try saying that 10 times) is stripped and wont budge. Grr. So I have made do and tried to improve upon everything else to make sure Im not unnecessarily blaming my gear instead of me.

Dosing (using WDT technique) to about 15-17g per shot and tamping at around 10kgs is giving me very slow, dripping shots that reach 30mls in 30secs (should be 60?) Adjusted grind across the board and while the shot doesnt taste that bad I just feel like theres so much more that can be gotten from them.

Jetblack Espresso hooked me up with some week old espresso beans that smell divine so Im almost 100% certain its not that and the grinder gets a clean before every session. Is it the seal that is causing all this grief? I feel like underweight tamping is not helping but surely that would make it run faster. Should I barely tamp at all?

Sorry for the essay but hopefully someone can shed some light.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Just did a part of the process that seems much more important than I realised. Tap after dosing to settle those crazy grinds! Fitted much more in and got a longer poor but still not quite right. Time to change the grind settings I think.

Re: EM3800 woes. They never end.

Quote Originally Posted by 797566777D6779140 link=1339113634/0#0 date=1339113634
    Hi guys!

I own a EM3800 and have done the old throw the pressurised baskets as far as they fly technique to improve my shots (thankyou Krups double!). Now this worked and had a nice seal on it for a few shots even with the sunbeam group head seal. After a few it got a bit loose and now I have to turn it all the way to the right and even then its not giving up much resistance.

I went about changing the seal and wouldnt ya know it, the shower screen seal screw (try saying that 10 times) is stripped and wont budge. Grr. So I have made do and tried to improve upon everything else to make sure Im not unnecessarily blaming my gear instead of me.

Dosing (using WDT technique) to about 15-17g per shot and tamping at around 10kgs is giving me very slow, dripping shots that reach 30mls in 30secs (should be 60?) Adjusted grind across the board and while the shot doesnt taste that bad I just feel like theres so much more that can be gotten from them.

Jetblack Espresso hooked me up with some week old espresso beans that smell divine so Im almost 100% certain its not that and the grinder gets a clean before every session. Is it the seal that is causing all this grief? I feel like underweight tamping is not helping but surely that would make it run faster. Should I barely tamp at all?

Sorry for the essay but hopefully someone can shed some light.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Just did a part of the process that seems much more important than I realised. Tap after dosing to settle those crazy grinds! Fitted much more in and got a longer poor but still not quite right. Time to change the grind settings I think.
    I used that screw (mine snapped off at the head) as an excuse to ditch my Breville Cafe series and hit the big time.

I cant solve your woes though, sorry! :-/

30 sec pour is the target....not 60 secs !
    So your issue is the seal of the PF to the group.. ??
    I dont see how the fit of the PF is anything to do with dose, settle , or taping. ?..
    .. seems like you have a mechanical problem with either the PF, seal, or the collar.
    change the seal
    check the PF lugs
    check the group collar for wear /cracks etc

I meant 60mLs in 30 secs, my bad. I think I have it kind of fixed* . Turns out it was a me error not the seal. Just proper dosing and whatnot has changed it all immensely. Also, if Im using the WDT, should I be tapping the PF as well to let it all settle?

Quote Originally Posted by 727E6D7C766C721F0 link=1339113634/3#3 date=1339119809
    I meant 60mLs in 30 secs, my bad. I think I have it kind of fixed* . Turns out it was a me error not the seal. Just proper dosing and whatnot has changed it all immensely. Also, if Im using the WDT, should I be tapping the PF as well to let it all settle?
    I use the WDT. And tap the PF on the bench to settle. I try to avoid knocking the sides of the PF - lots of discussion about this causing channelling... But really, do what works for you... Try tapping. Try not tapping. Etc.

Yeah Ive avoided tapping the pf with my tamp just to avoid cracking my puck. Still getting a sloppy slopper on top so might have to underdose a bit? Theres an imprint happening on top of the shower. 5c test time but I think 4 shots today is getting to me :P

those sunbeams dont have an opv, so theyve got way too mush pressure, and each little issue with dosing/tamping/grind will be amplified hugely. and the pressure of a proper extraction means that, yeah, the flimsy little gh seal isnt up to the task. ill start the countdown to when you upgrade like the rest of us :). a gaggia classic or a 2nd hand silvia is the best ~$500 you can spend. makes the morning coffee so quick and so pleasant.

Damnit, shouldve jumped on a Gaggia Classic I saw for 90 dollars sooner. Doesnt it rock 15bar pressure too though?

Damn still getting 30mLs in about 35 seconds from a double...

Just tell yourself you are making double ristrettos ! ;D

..OR...
    Time to change the grind settings I think.

Bit courser you reckon blend?

Yep ! .... this is where you discover the capability/limitations of your grinder ;) ;)

Sneaky update: We have MUCH more success! Nicer pour and no bitterness thanks to increasing the dose a helluvalot. Tastes great even out of a stupid tea mug :P