Thread: New coffeesnob, what to buy?

New coffeesnob, what to buy?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I have recently started to drink cappucinnos most days, previously i would drink one instant coffee before work and that was it for the day. After having a couple of cappucinos i am becoming addicted! So rather than spend $4 every morning on a large cap i figured i should just buy my own machine, but have no idea what to get. To give some info, i will most likely have one or two a day, with two sugars. It doesnt need to be the greatest cap ever but id like something close to what id get at a cafe (i even dont mind a maccas cappuccino!)

My main issue with a manual machine is the time it takes to make one, i get up at 5:45am and therefre dont want to take 20 mins to make a coffee (which i was told thats how long a gaggia classic takes to warm up). After going to the good guys today the salesman assured me that the cheaper sunbeams and brevilles ($200-$400) will only take a few mins to warm up. I guess what im looking for is something between $300 and $600 absolutely max but preferably around the 4/500 mark, incl. grinder if possible. It only needs to make one at a time and as i said it will only be cappucinnos (so good froth is a plus) but also hopefully not take 15/20 mins to warm up.

What would you suggest? I have looked around at brevilles/sunbeas and the gaggia classic but cant work out what would suit me best.

Re: New coffeesnob, what to buy?

Hi and welcome to the forum :) My leaning would be towards a 2nd hand setup (the usual suspects, Lelit/Silvia..) rather than a new machine, which would get you appliance level gear in that budget. Whereas a good 2nd hand will get you into much nicer territory.. Ill have a 1y.o Lelit with built in grinder for sale at around the upper limit of your budget soon. Available in probably a week. Other than that, check the FS section regularly :)

thanks for your reply. My only issues with second hand setups are things like warranty and knowing that what I have should work properly. I also think maybe a sunbeam or breville will be more suited to a newbie like me who has no idea whatsoever. Also the warm up time of the gaggia (20 mins I was told) puts me off a bit but the times I have been told for the gaggia versus entry level machines could be wrong.

Fair enough. Re heating up, its been mentioned elsewhere that a Lelit (for example) can be adequately heated in 10 min (opinions will differ). I cant argue about the warranty thing, thats your decision. They are pretty short anyway (theres a long thread on this under way). I went for new first up, but my budget was a few hundred higher. Ive just bought a near-new unit from sponsor. Id feel comfortable expecting CS members to have looked after their gear and not pass on a dud, but again thats your call. I just purchased a grinder 2nd hand from a CS member myself :)

Hi Gazzalp,

Time is a tricky one... all boiler machines will take longer to warm up because youre effectively boiling a small kettle (eg. Gaggia classic, Silvia, Lelit, and even the big expensive Italian machines).

Thermoblock machines are "quicker" to tell you theyre ready, but they will still benefit from leaving on for 20 minutes before you make a coffee.

Question for you: Can you turn on the machine as soon as you wake and then get ready and make a coffee after the shave / shower / etc? Alternatively you can use a timer to warm up 20 minutes before you do (but make sure you get a machine with an water-level auto cut-off just in case)

Also, the time you save with a super-auto making the coffee for you, youll loose in cleaning it. Even though youre satifsfied with anything-not-instant, I think youd soon be disappointed with super-auto coffee as you can usually do much better on a much-cheaper manual machine.

Now for my recommendation - Ive never seen the Gaggia or Silvia in the flesh, but I have played with Brevilles 820 & 860, and Sunbeam 6910. On the one or two of each type that I have used, the Sunbeams have better steam (esp the dual-thermoblock sunbeam). The Breville 8xx range seems to have the same internals spread over a few hundred dollars difference, so I dont see the point of the 860 price over the 800. The 860 has a grinder built in (not the greatest, but not bad), and has nice features like tamper holder, bean lid seal, etc, but I still lean toward the Sunbeam 6910.

Grinder-wise, you could get the very good Sunbeam EM0480 included with the 6910 for well under $600 if you shop around. A much better grinder is the Breville smart grinder, if you can get the salesman to chuck that in instead. Stay away from the Breville BCG450.

Hope that helps - my experience is limited to thermoblocks so someone else can advise on the small boiler machines.

Thanks Iain, I had thought about warming up the machine while i go for a shower etc, its not a bad idea but in canberras winter (-4/5 degrees) my first thought it always to jump into a nice warm shower after waking up. Still might be worth it though.

The 6910 which you meantion is one i really liked, however i went to virtually every store that has coffee machines and the cheapest i found it for was $600, and that was on special with $100 off. I even saw it for $800 in one store. Im sure i could get it a little cheaper online but not cheap enough to also get a decent grinder all for under $100.

Im kind of leaning towards the Sunbeam em5600 which i saw for 290, which also leaves me money for a grinder.

another option for you is to install a timer on the wall for your coffee machine, a lot of the units in this price range have the ability to be switched on without too much difficulty under this situation

Secondhand Silvia would suit then, as youd just need to make sure to fill the boiler before you switch it off for the night

The other hand, you _could_ leave the unit on overnight (its what I do, doesnt seem to cause too much drain on the electricity, and its ready to go first thing in the morning)

Gazzalp, venture to bunnings and buy yourself an electronic timer. Wonderful invention, cost around 15-20. I have a Mon-Fri setting and then I have a Sat-Sun morning setting and a Sat-Sun lunchtime setting... Man you can set what ever floats ya boat seriously.

All my warms up occur during off peak power periods :)

Hmm I didnt think of the timer idea... something else to think about I guess. Theres too much choice I hate it!

Gazza,
    I know someone who may sell their 2nd hand EM6910 for $300ish (not used much been in storage for a while) - id be tempted, but I dont have that kinda cash
    would you be interested? if so, PM me and ill find out!

Quote Originally Posted by 5F594242595448380 link=1339820933/5#5 date=1339892240
    The 6910 which you meantion is one i really liked, however i went to virtually every store that has coffee machines and the cheapest i found it for was $600, and that was on special with $100 off. I even saw it for $800 in one store. Im sure i could get it a little cheaper online but not cheap enough to also get a decent grinder all for under $100.
    Im sure I heard it going for less at one of the big electrical retailers, but I guess if youve looked youved looked. They usually throw in the EM0480 included.

Im kind of leaning towards the Sunbeam em5600 which i saw for 290, which also leaves me money for a grinder.
    The 5600 is a single thermo-block, so not as good as you have to wait and possibly purge a bit of water between steaming and extracting, but it will still do the job.

Just make sure you get a good grinder - at least the EM0450/0480 or better would be the Breville smart grinder.

If you want, you can be patient and watch the for sale section - they pop up from time to time.

HTH

My 2 c for what its worth.

I make a latte most mornings to drink in the car on my way to work. In the evenings and weekends i drink espresso/ristrettos/lattes, whatever floats my boat.

I have a sunbeam EM5900 and a EM0450 grinder. I switch it on prior to having a shower so that it is warm when i come to use it (10+ mins). Without a warm up it takes a minute, maybe 2 for the machine to tell you its ready but the PF is still stone cold. You can run it without coffee to run hot water through which does warm it up but i find patience is rewarded. Handy to know in coffee emergencies though (which occurs all too frequently thanks to the distraction caused by a 1 yo).

Pre-heat my travel mug, pour a shot, steam milk (1-2 mins for enough for 1 cup), a quick clean of the steam wand and PF and I am out the door.

This combo is currently on sale via one of the department stores online for <$400. A fellow coffeesnob gave me the details via PM, posting a link is verboten so PM me for details if you are interested. A nice entry level setup and one i am still happy with 6 months down the track. I bought mine 2nd hand on ebay for less than 1/2 that. I wont be winning any latte art competitions but if you want to dip your toes in the water of coffeesnobbery it works.

I did plan to upgrade quickly but got distracted with roasting beans and spent my money in that area.

Thanks everyone for your help - i have decided to go with the sunbeam deal online, thanks DrSmurto for the info!

Im sure ill be back in a weeks time asking for tips etc...