Thread: If you were given a coffee machine which would you prefer?

If you were given a coffee machine which would you prefer?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I am new to this coffee business and have been nominated to purchase a coffee machine as a farewell gift for a lady at work. She does like her coffee strong with some milk but no frothy or too milky ie latte, cappuccino . I have looked at the Breville 800ES or 820 and the Sunbeam EM5600 . If you were given one of these machines which would you prefer ?

Your help is appreciated.

Cheers

Re: If you were given a coffee machine which would you prefer?

Out of those three... The 820. But the RRP for all three are above your budget. Im assuming youre looking at new only? Budget in a single walled double filter basket as well ~$30. I havent used any of these machines, but I did own the Sunbeam EM3600. They look very similar. Except for the better quality group handle - which will help temperature stability. What about the EM4820?

To answer your question, with that budget, and those options. The 800 with some single walled filter baskets.

Does that help at all?

Quote Originally Posted by 5F7566667D2D2E1C0 link=1340021666/0#0 date=1340021666
    ...She does like her coffee strong with some milk but no frothy or too milky ie latte, cappuccino .
    .. As with any gift..it doesnt matter what you or I or any other person would prefer,...its what she would prefer that matters.
    you need to find out if she is actually prepared to "work" an espresso machine...IE grind, tamp, brew, clean etc etc...or is she more likely to prefer a simpler* Nespresso type gift ?
    Whatever you settle on...make sure it can be exchanged ! ;)

Thanks David8, Yes your answer does help. Yes, we are looking at new. I havent looked at the EM4820... will look into it.

blend52, you are so right with regards tot he tamp, brew, clean etc...A Nespresso would be easier to manage however she has mentioned to me that the coffee isnt strong enough for her! I will try to get something out of her. Thanks for your response.

Ok I have a really dumb question here as I am not a coffee connoisseur. What is the difference between a single walled basket filter and an unpressurised filter basket? Is the unpressurised filter basket the filter holder with a component (spring) removed? I presume the single walled basket filter is the round mental component with holes obviously to filter the coffee which sits inside the filter holder.

how embarrassing ..... your help would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by 684251514A1A192B0 link=1340021666/6#6 date=1340201771
    What is the difference between a single walled basket filter and an unpressurised filter basket?
    There is no difference. They are one and the same. Its just two ways of saying the same thing.

Java "Isnt English fun?!" phile

aaha! Thought that was the case. Thank you.