Thread: Budget Upgraditis = new filter basket, tamper and burr grinder

Budget Upgraditis = new filter basket, tamper and burr grinder

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I bought a Breville Ikon about 6 years ago and it came with the Breville BarAroma Grinder. With the pressurised baskets I never needed to greatly worry about the grinder. A couple years ago the grinder died and I never replaced it (could not afford to). Ive simply been purchasing freshly ground coffee once a fortnight from local roasters.

Lately Ive been feeling the need to improve my set up, and while I still cannot afford to upgrade the machine (and with regular cleaning it still works marvelously) I have spent a little on getting the Krups basket, a better tamper and a shot measure.

Upon receipt of everything on Friday I came home excited and ready to try out my new nits and pieces.

First attempt = 10 sec double shot pour, under-extracted.
    Second attempt = 22 sec double shot, much nicer but not quite right.

I adjusted my dose and tamp to experiment and achieved a satisfactory result but not exactly what I was hoping for.

Not being able to afford a new or even second hand fantastic grinder I went searching for something that might work for the time being.

Full of scepticism I purchased the Sunbeam em0360. It is a Mix Master with the Conical Burr Grinder attachment. I got it for $40 from some non-sponsor and was fully prepared to come home and realise I had just purchase a new Mix Master and that the Grinder would not be able to grind fine enough to make a decent espresso.

I got home with it today and started playing with it. As my main concern was that it would not grind fine enough I started on the finest grind. The coffee came out exceptionally fine. I dosed and tamped the coffee into the Krups basket and crossed my fingers.

1st attempt - no shot - the grind was too fine..... what the?

After recovering from my shock I dialed the grind back 5 notches.

2nd attempt - 12 sec shot

Tried the 2nd notch.

3rd attempt - no shot again.

Back to the 3rd notch.

4th attempt - 3ml in the glass after 30 sec.

4th notch on the grinder.

5th attempt - 23 sec double shot... woo hoo!

So, how did it taste? Sweet, strong and everything I like in a shot of coffee.

Now, I am not saying this is a great grinder, its not. It is not possible to adjust it greatly, but it does have some good points. It does not take up much bench space. It is easy to clean. It is cheaper than other Burr Grinders on the market.

Will I be looking to upgrade the grinder? As soon as I can. As soon as I can afford to buy a better grinder I will.

I can now make an infinitely more satisfying coffee on a budget. Step by step Ill get better, and certainly upgrade down the track (or steal my sisters Silvia she isnt using at the moment :) ).

Re: Budget Upgraditis = new filter basket, tamper and burr grinder

I reckon youre well on the way!

Re: Budget Upgraditis = new filter basket, tamper and burr grinder

Quote Originally Posted by 5F444D5656551B142C0 link=1340539634/0#0 date=1340539634
    Now, I am not saying this is a great grinder, its not. It is not possible to adjust it greatly, but it does have some good points. It does not take up much bench space. It is easy to clean. It is cheaper than other Burr Grinders on the market.
    Dont lose sight of the fact that the acid test is whether youre happy with the taste of the finished product or not. This means many different things to many different people!
    :) :) :)

Yeah, it's a good little grinder given it only costs $30 at a major chain store . Bought it thinking even if it sucked at grinding coffee, I could use it as a mixer as it comes with a mixer attachment.