Thread: EM6910 group head, is this BAD or normal?!

EM6910 group head, is this BAD or normal?!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys,

So I was extremely lucky to inherit an old EM6910 from a friend who hadnt used theirs in over a year...they actually thought it didnt work, but after spending a bit of time with it I managed to pour a few double shots...

Anyway, I thought it would be a good idea to give it a good clean, so I did some backflushes (without the cleaning tablets because I dont have any handy) and then finally did a descale.... now when I took apart the filter and screen and group seal they all looked as new....

but when I looked at the grouphead itself this is what I saw:
    (pic below)...

I have no idea what its SUPPOSED to look like, but Im guessing this is pretty bad? If it is bad...how do I go about cleaning it?

Thanks in advance

Re: EM6910 group head, is this BAD or normal?!

Not too bad compared with mine. I dont think it was particularly pretty even when new. Should be okay as it is.

On another note, I notice the seal appears to be black when the standard ones are blue - suggests its been changed.

+1 - looks pretty normal. Should* be fine after a back flush with SB tablets or espresso machine cleaner (if you want to save some $).

Quote Originally Posted by 4463685952736171636A6A060 link=1340548846/1#1 date=1340579949
    On another note, I notice the seal appears to be black when the standard ones are blue - suggests its been changed.
    I think theres actually no seal there - assume you removed it when cleaning?

Happy brewing :)

you guys are legends!!

Thanks heaps :)

Pete39- yup, spot on...the seal is blue and its been removed in this photo....

will purchase some cafetto tomorrow!
    (im thinking of trying it out with a blind fliter instead of the normal plastic disc + SB cleaning tablet method...if someone thinks this is a bad idea please let me know :) )

Quote Originally Posted by 2423383932333220383C570 link=1340548846/3#3 date=1340582220
    (im thinking of trying it out with a blind fliter instead of the normal plastic disc + SB cleaning tablet method...if someone thinks this is a bad idea please let me know )
    It is a bad idea (but dont feel bad, many others, including me, have thought the same thing). Stick to the rubber disk. Using the true blind filter will eventually cause permanent damage. The best thing is to run the proper cleaning cycle with cafetto or similar in the rubber disk.

Doh!

Better get my eyes checked.

Group head looks okay.

My one had a black teflon coating. It looks like its worn away on yours, but the good news is theres no scale build up on yours.