Thread: Breville 800ES and shop bought ground coffee

Breville 800ES and shop bought ground coffee

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I was recently given a Breville 800ES in new condition (family moving overseas) after years of using Baby Gaggia then a Breville CafeRoma.

These more basic machines could make passable coffee using shop bought espresso ground coffee

The new 800ES seems to pump the water through too fast, resulting in a weak brew with little crema; I guess the grind is not fine enough?

I bought some espresso machine ground coffee from my local coffee shop; it's much better, though the crema is still not what I got from the cafe Roma

Any ideas?

If they didn't come with the machine, order the 'Single Wall Filter Set BSWF100' for the Breville 800ES from your local Breville repair/spare parts shop. Use the 2 cup single wall filter with around 16-18 grams of finely ground fresh roasted coffee tamped down with the correct size (51mm) tamper to around 30lbs pressure (use bathroom scales to check).
    The aim is to extract around 60mls in 30 seconds for the 16-18grams through the 2 cup single wall filter. Once you have achieved this extraction rate, play around with the 'brew temperature' by temperature surfing. This should be able to be done by delaying the time you brew from when the brew light indicates it is up to temperature. It will slowly cool until the thermostat kicks back in and reheats giving the spread of a few degrees to play with. Mine is a different machine but when using the same grind, I find if the temperature is too hot the taste is bitter and if too cold the taste for me is sourish. I'm still experimenting and learning but I hope this may be of some help. On this forum the minimum recommended grinders to achieve a consistent fine grind seem to be the Sunbeam EM0480 or the Breville Smart Grinder BCG800. I bought the Sunbeam for $136 a short while back but in some respects with I had paid the extra for the Breville. The Sunbeam seems to retain fine grinds inside the machine and even after tapping on the bench there are still more than desired left inside. This can't help the taste of the brew. Wasting beans to push out old grinds between brews seems such a waste!

I think the problem sound the opersite to the above post

I would imagine that your old machinces had dual wall baskets so they genarated the effect of a crema but not a true crema which can only be achived with freshly ground fresh beans

It sounds by the speed of the pour the 800 es you are using has the single walled baskets in place and to achive a good pour you will need fresh coffee.

To make supermarket coffee look like it is extracted properly you would need the dual wall filter, though better to get a grinder as above

My Suggestion? You're not gonna get Crema from stale beans, Unless you've ground them in the last 10 minutes, Don't bother about even attempting to get anything more then stale coffee from it

Buy a decent Grinder, and purchase whole beans from your local Roaster/cafe, Your tastebuds will thank you for it.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.a.j.pickering View Post
    It sounds by the speed of the pour the 800 es you are using has the single walled baskets in place
    My understanding is that the Breville 800ES only came with dual wall pressurised baskets which is why they offered the 'BSWF100' single wall filters for the 800ES

as an option on the Breville website.

Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    My understanding is that the Breville 800ES only came with dual wall pressurised baskets which is why they offered the 'BSWF100' single wall filters for the 800ES

as an option on the Breville website.
    Being the owner of one of these machines, you are correct, this came only with the dual wall ("crema enhancing") double and single shot baskets. I bought the Breville single wall baskets as well as a double shot basket from Greg Pullman and a fitted tamper. I prefer the basket from Greg as it gives me a better shot when paired with fresh beans ground on demand with the BCG800 (Smartgrinder).

Preground supermarket coffee, even with the double wall basket will give you dodgy results.

Get a decent grinder, some fresh beans, let the machine warm up for 20-30 minutes and play away. It can take a while to dial in.

Thanks for all the responses.

I have the dual wall and single wall baskets; the results are best with the dual wall ones.

I was hoping to not need a grinder (bench real estate is tight) but might have to reconsider

Quote Originally Posted by chrisboll View Post
    Thanks for all the responses.

I have the dual wall and single wall baskets; the results are best with the dual wall ones.

I was hoping to not need a grinder (bench real estate is tight) but might have to reconsider
    It really depends on how interested you are in making good coffee at home. Pre-ground w. pressurised baskets wont really yield a standard of coffee passable to most here, but it might suit your needs and level of depth down the coffeesnob rabbit hole.

I had a 800ES. With a grinder adjusted appropriately coupled with the single wall (non-pressurised) basket, and freshly roasted coffee, it can produce quite passable crema laden shots within the recommended timeframe of 25 -30 secs.

The usual base-model grinders recommended are the the Breville Smart-grinder (it's neat and small) or maybe the Sunbeam EM0480. There are of course plenty of others...

Quote Originally Posted by chrisboll View Post
    Maybe consider a hand grinder?

Been thinking maybe a Porlex or a Hario Slim?