Thread: New old man on the block with Sunbeam and Breville

New old man on the block with Sunbeam and Breville

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Many thanks for accepting an old pom/kiwi to your user ranks. I'm a new boy to the game but I do love my coffee!!!!
    Daughter in law gave me a Sunbeam Cafe Latte EM5600 some year or two ago for birthday and initially my success with it was not too good. But I am now becoming very enthusiastic about it's abilities with more practice. I have also bought a Breville Smart grinder BCG800 after rather giving up on a previous Breville grinder that didnt really grind the beans fine enough. I noticed from a number of posts on this website that I coud have pulled it to pieces and improved its abilities but I gave up on it. I find the new grinder very efficient and simple to use, just place the group handle and basket under the outlet and away she goes. I have read here that it does not grind fine enough for a single walled filter basket. Gratefull for any comment on this. Also is there any point in my trying out a single walled basket on my EM5600. By the way, our NZ "Consumer magazine" gave the EM5600 very high marks for its ability to produce excellent coffee and excellent milk frothing, in some cases better than units costing four times as much.
    I am a new boy so please allow for some enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Borris View Post
    Many thanks for accepting an old pom/kiwi to your user ranks. I'm a new boy to the game but I do love my coffee!!!!
    Daughter in law gave me a Sunbeam Cafe Latte EM5600 some year or two ago for birthday and initially my success with it was not too good. But I am now becoming very enthusiastic about it's abilities with more practice. I have also bought a Breville Smart grinder BCG800 after rather giving up on a previous Breville grinder that didnt really grind the beans fine enough. I noticed from a number of posts on this website that I coud have pulled it to pieces and improved its abilities but I gave up on it. I find the new grinder very efficient and simple to use, just place the group handle and basket under the outlet and away she goes. I have read here that it does not grind fine enough for a single walled filter basket. Gratefull for any comment on this. Also is there any point in my trying out a single walled basket on my EM5600. By the way, our NZ "Consumer magazine" gave the EM5600 very high marks for its ability to produce excellent coffee and excellent milk frothing, in some cases better than units costing four times as much.
    I am a new boy so please allow for some enthusiasm.
    I haven't actually used the BCG800. But from what I have heard around here, it is more than capable of grinding for espresso, that is, for single walled baskets. I would definitely suggest getting some single walled baskets. The grinder should be capable, you may need to shim it, by adding another washer under the burr to make it finer. But there is lots of info here about that as well.

The BCG800 grinds fine enough for the single walled double shot basket I use with my Breville 800ES. Lovely grinder to use, not too messy with the magnetic tray catching excess grinds, volume control is a great feature, nice piece of design.

The single walled basket will take some getting used to intially and will require dialling in to give you a nice shot. The dual wall basket creates pressure by exiting water through the single hole and therefore, is less sensitive to particle size although you can still choke a dual wall basket.

You'll probably go through quite a few fresh roasted beans determining the right setting (and tamping pressure) to give you a decent tasting shot in the right time and volume.

Thank you whowe and David8 for your helpful comments. I must admit that I recently wound the BCG800 up to the finest setting and found that [with double walled basket] it took for ever to get the right amount of coffee into cup, just slow drips and pump working very hard to get job done, well over a minute. That suggests to me that the grounds were far too fine for my present basket. The coffee was very good in spite of the time it took.
    "whowe" would you mind explaining in a little more detail what you mean by "dialling in" with a single walled basket. Do you mean for instance how fine the grind should be and how full the basket should be. Can you recommend a brand of basket that I should purchase as I assume I can't get one from Sunbeam.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Welcome Borris,
    Yes, 'dialling in' (though probably pronounce 'dialling en' in NZ) is basically what you describe...getting the combination of dose (how full the basket is) and grind (fine/coarse) such that it produces something that tastes good to you (or..... extracts 27.5213g of espresso coffee from 13.8532g of ground beans in 28.6243 seconds and leaves the puck looking like a.....I jest). To a lesser extent how hard you tamp plays a role. You'll find quite a few threads here on the dose/grind/tamp process.
    Cheers
    BOSW.

Thank you Barry for your comments of 14th July 2012 on tamping etc. I have now managed to obtain a pair of single walled baskets [filters] [part no. BSWF100] from the local agent here in Wellington which fit perfectly and I am very pleased with the results that I am getting from my machine. My aim is of course to produce a latte that compares with those that I drink at my favourite coffee shops. We have quite a number of good ones here in Wellington as well as a number of not such good ones from overseas. [no names mentioned]. I do appreciate that the tamp pessure is important as is the grind size. Thank you again for your help