Thread: Gaggia Baby D - Too fast espresso pour

Angry Gaggia Baby D - Too fast espresso pour

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, i'm new to the world of espresso pouring, but I have been enjoying coffee for a long time.
    I recently plugged in my Gaggia Baby D and looked up some guides/manuals on the internet. While all this information is pretty straightforward, I still have a big problem with pouring a good espresso.
    The main problem is that the shot pours too fast. I've been trying all kinds of advice, but I believe the problem is with the tamping or the amount of ground coffee in portafilter.

Some additional information is that the result with the excessive pouring leads to a thin and close to no crema espresso, which probably is pretty obvious.

This is my first post here, I hope it's the right sub-forum.
    Any tips?

Tips? How about, "what grinder are you using?"

if you're not using a good grinder, You're going to end up with a crappy pour, Even if you get the beans ground by your local roaster a day after they're "freshly roasted".

If you are using a good grinder, I'd suggest grinding finer.

if your grinder is at it's finest setting, and you're still not getting a good 25-30 second pour, then I'd suggest that your grinder is not good enough.

If you don't have a "roasted on date" listed on your beans, or if that date is older then a month, you will still have difficulties getting a crema, and an inconsistant pour.

Hope this helps

Thank you for your answer!

1. I'm using a Gaggia MDF, from what i've been reading it's a good entry-level grinder for making espressos.

2. Beans are as fresh as you can get them...

I've been wondering on what the correct amount of ground coffee is for a dose, but I should be using the right amount. I guess i'll try to grind the beans finer, hope it helps!

What does the used puck look/feel like ?
    Firm ? Sloppy? Wet?
    What pour times/volumes are you getting now anyway ?

Search the forum for 5cent test and rice test. They can be used to help determine dosing.

The used puck is pretty firm now, I think i'm getting the hang of it. The self-grinded beans really did the trick when it comes to the pouring/pulling. I won't give up before the timing is close to perfect thou, the espresso has a good colour, but it's usually over-extracted by a few seconds.

I will check it out, thank you!

It sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Keep reading the threads on dosing, grind, tamp and of course beans. Don't sweat the precise timing and stop when the shot starts to blonde. Over extracted shots will be bitter in comparison to ones stopped earlier. Diff bean types/blends and ages give different timings so it become a juggling or shuffling act with little tweaks as you go.

In a little while your fellow CSers will even have you thinking about roasting your own.
    You might be on a slippery slope.......

At the moment i'm not very good at judging the quality of the crema, or even the espresso as a whole.
    There are so many guides about taste, colour etc., but I taste every shot. My shots usually have a very even layer of blonde crema.

Haha! I think the idea of roasting my own sounds interesting, but I still got a lot to learn, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by erikje View Post
    There are so many guides about taste, colour etc., but I taste every shot. My shots usually have a very even layer of blonde crema.
    Yes there certainly are varied ideas on how things should be in the cup.
    Every once and a while, someone will fall back to the ulimate test and ask...
    "How does it taste in the cup?"
    (After all, the experience is your's to enjoy, not ours to tell you about !)

Do you mean a light brown crema - often described as hazelnut ?
    To me, a shot that's blonding, is one that is going thin and watery.

Haha, true enough, but I still want to be able to make a good shot that other baristas will acknowledge, or at least one that will taste acceptable...

Hm, the shot isn't watery or thin at all, but the crema is still very light coloured. I will try one more time, maybe I didn't pay attention to the colour. I was too excited about getting the correct amount in the cup, haha!