Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By jbrewster
  • 1 Post By TC

Thread: Picked up a Gaggia Classic

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7

    Picked up a Gaggia Classic

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys

    Just discovered a Gaggia Classic can be purchased online from overseas for 189GBP including delivery to Australia (about $290). Can't wait to try it out, hopefully the coffee will be good considering its low price

    cheers
    Tim

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3
    Hey mate, congratulations on the good deal. I've been looking on ebay to get one but cant seem to find them under 330 + delivery. Any chance you could PM me the link to the site where you got it from?

    Cheers

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    3
    Great first machine- loving mine!

  4. #4
    Senior Member C-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Peregian beach
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgrinder View Post
    Hey guys

    Just discovered a Gaggia Classic can be purchased online from overseas for 189GBP including delivery to Australia (about $290). Can't wait to try it out, hopefully the coffee will be good considering its low price

    cheers
    Tim
    I would like to know where too..

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    33
    Commercial link removed as per site policy.

    That is where I got mine from....has gone as low as 163 GBP..Amazon are really good to deal with too and it came to me within about 4 days. I went into dick smiths to get a converter and it is working fine...never looked back!

  6. #6
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665
    Converter or travel adaptor?

    FWIW, I'd never use a machine with a travel adaptor. I would suggest that it would be a good idea (and safer) to find someone to fit an appropriate plug.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Dragunov21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Converter or travel adaptor?

    FWIW, I'd never use a machine with a travel adaptor. I would suggest that it would be a good idea (and safer) to find someone to fit an appropriate plug.
    I'm guessing travel adaptor, since a 1500W convertor would blast any savings out of the water.

    FWIW, there's no actual reason not to use an Aust-purchased travel adaptor besides aesthetics.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragunov21 View Post
    I'm guessing travel adaptor, since a 1500W convertor would blast any savings out of the water.

    FWIW, there's no actual reason not to use an Aust-purchased travel adaptor besides aesthetics.
    It has worked fine with mine...and I didn't particularly want to pay $700 for the machine when I could get it for like $280 i think it worked out to. worth it IMO

  9. #9
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1992 View Post
    It has worked fine with mine...and I didn't particularly want to pay $700 for the machine when I could get it for like $280 i think it worked out to. worth it IMO
    In which case, I know absolutely nothing...

  10. #10
    Senior Member Dragunov21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    In which case, I know absolutely nothing...
    To be fair, if you say "you shouldn't do this because I think it's a bad idea" without offering any support or reasoning, people have no reason to give credence. Passive-aggressive references to your industry experience don't change that.

    Why do you feel it is ill-advised to use a machine with a travel adaptor?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragunov21 View Post
    To be fair, if you say "you shouldn't do this because I think it's a bad idea" without offering any support or reasoning, people have no reason to give credence. Passive-aggressive references to your industry experience don't change that.

    Why do you feel it is ill-advised to use a machine with a travel adaptor?
    Because pulling 1500odd W through a travel adapter which was made from the cheapest possible materials is a bad idea, I have seen travel adapters overheat and fail badly, I suggest that pulling any more than about 100W through them is ill advised.

    Further to this, should you have a fire as a result of using one of those (which by the way, are not generally certified compliant with Australian Standards, I've certainly never seen a legitimate AS marking on a travel adapter purchased overseas, not even sure if I've seen one on a locally purchased unit) and your insurance company figures that out they are within their rights to refuse to pay you out because the device with was responsible was not compliant with Australian requirements and hence should not have been in use.

    Considering that you should be able to get the plug replaced for less than $50 I would suggest that that is a good investment...
    TC and Vinitasse like this.

  12. #12
    Coffee Newbie okitoki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Perth. WA
    Posts
    454
    I agree on that actually... I have seen adaptors sparked and smoked after using it long while... both "Aussie" and china made brands...

    if using appliances on long term basis, probably worth changing it...

  13. #13
    Senior Member Dragunov21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,281
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrewster View Post
    Because pulling 1500odd W through a travel adapter which was made from the cheapest possible materials is a bad idea, I have seen travel adapters overheat and fail badly, I suggest that pulling any more than about 100W through them is ill advised.

    Further to this, should you have a fire as a result of using one of those (which by the way, are not generally certified compliant with Australian Standards, I've certainly never seen a legitimate AS marking on a travel adapter purchased overseas, not even sure if I've seen one on a locally purchased unit) and your insurance company figures that out they are within their rights to refuse to pay you out because the device with was responsible was not compliant with Australian requirements and hence should not have been in use.

    Considering that you should be able to get the plug replaced for less than $50 I would suggest that that is a good investment...
    FWIW I'm talking about Korjo (for instance) adaptors designed for conversion from one system to another (not universal adaptors), not something that ships with an appliance you paid five bucks for (with free shipping) in the first place.

    I can't comment on compliance but I'd assume that they'd require compliance to be sold in Australia and, if so, they're no more of less dangerous (inherently) than a short extension cord.

    Personally I've never had an issue with a quality adaptor and provided the connections are solid (hence not using a universal) there is no reason it should be an issue.

  14. #14
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragunov21 View Post
    Why do you feel it is ill-advised to use a machine with a travel adaptor?
    Covered off more than adequately by jbrewster. Chances are if a purchaser is looking for bargain basement, a quality adaptor is not going to get a look in and I'd be surprised if it did in this instance.

    I'd advise fitment of the correct plug....but what would I know?
    Vinitasse likes this.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragunov21 View Post
    FWIW I'm talking about Korjo (for instance) adaptors designed for conversion from one system to another (not universal adaptors), not something that ships with an appliance you paid five bucks for (with free shipping) in the first place.

    I can't comment on compliance but I'd assume that they'd require compliance to be sold in Australia and, if so, they're no more of less dangerous (inherently) than a short extension cord.
    Given that a korjo adapter costs somewhere ~$17 (at least where I've seen them) you're a long way to what I put as my (rather OTT) guesstimate on the cost of getting the plug replaced...

    On compliance, ISTR there's some kind of limited exception around the sale of travel adapters because they are not intended for long-term use, considering that in order to make an Australian Standards compliant adapter we'd need to have Australian Standards for all the international power plugs/sockets...

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrewster View Post
    Because pulling 1500odd W through a travel adapter which was made from the cheapest possible materials is a bad idea, I have seen travel adapters overheat and fail badly, I suggest that pulling any more than about 100W through them is ill advised.

    Further to this, should you have a fire as a result of using one of those (which by the way, are not generally certified compliant with Australian Standards, I've certainly never seen a legitimate AS marking on a travel adapter purchased overseas, not even sure if I've seen one on a locally purchased unit) and your insurance company figures that out they are within their rights to refuse to pay you out because the device with was responsible was not compliant with Australian requirements and hence should not have been in use.

    Considering that you should be able to get the plug replaced for less than $50 I would suggest that that is a good investment...
    After nearly 8 months of using it I have encountered zero problems with the machine and the travel adapter.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15th March 2012, 09:20 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10th December 2011, 12:23 PM
  3. Gaggia Classic portafilter and GAGGIA PROTEO ROMANZA
    By cazby in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24th October 2011, 06:50 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23rd November 2009, 07:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •