Thread: Why does my Gaggia boiler look like this, and is it safe to keep using?

Why does my Gaggia boiler look like this, and is it safe to keep using?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys

I have a Gaggia Coffee Deluxe of unknown age which I bought from a CS member a couple of years ago. When I bought it I took the whole thing apart incl. disassembling the boiler, and found quite a bit of corrosion inside the boiler which I cleaned up with wire brushes and a little bit of very fine sandpapering.

My machine has worked beautifully since then, but stopped in its tracks a month or two ago. Water would pump through the steam pipe but wouldn't come out of the brew head at all. Today I opened the boiler again and found lots of metal flakes as well as misc. debris and some weird white stuff that looked almost like mould (but was a bit sludgy). After getting rid of all that and giving the inside of the boiler a bit of a scrub with a toothbrush, it looked like what you can see in the attached photo.

What I'm wondering is...

(a) Will all Gaggia Classic/Coffee Deluxe boilers look like this eventually?
    (b) Is it safe to keep using the machine? Corroded aluminium in your coffee doesn't sound healthy.
    (c) Is there any way to stop this occurring?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

hi
    ..certainly no expert, but it looks like fairly advanced electrolysis to me.....
    regards
    Ross

What sort of toothpaste were you using on the toothbrush?

I am also having a problem with a recent purchase of a Gaggia Coffee Deluxe. I am not confident enough to pull it apart,but i have descaled it twice yesterday and a bit of milky stuff is coming out. Also when it comes out a little clearer after much flushing, tiny bits of white partlcles are at the bottom of the water catcher. I am wondering if my boiler looks like yours mrfurion.

Sorry to say, but I suspect your boiler does look like mine on the inside. The symptom you described is what led me to take mine apart when I first got my machine.

I'm starting to wonder whether Classics/Coffee Deluxes are actually a bad buy second hand... no way of telling whether the previous owner has left it in storage with a full tank, virtually guaranteeing that the boiler corrodes. In my case, after cleaning out the boiler and putting it back together it only worked for a day before seizing up again - presumably because more flakes of aluminium came off and blocked the pump outlet.

Do Gaggia make these boilers out of anything but aluminium? Also does anyone know if Rancillio Silvia's have the same problem?

Why does my Gaggia boiler look like this, and is it safe to keep using?

There not that expensive to replace http://dibartoli.com.au/gaggia-boiler-kit/

Quote Originally Posted by dr.a.j.pickering View Post
    There not that expensive to replace Gaggia Boiler Kit - Di Bartoli
    That's true, and I've just collected a second hand Classic to replace my terminally ill Coffee Deluxe (not certain that even with a new boiler it would work, as it has seized up even after I took the entire thing apart and cleaned it... maybe a pump problem). If the Classic has a corroded boiler I'll replace it, though it makes my $90 bargain purchase into a still-bargain-but-not-as-good $165 machine.

Teetotaler - I believe you can only get aluminium boilers for the Classic/Coffee Deluxe. The Silvia has a brass boiler which isn't subject to the same problem (but does need to be descaled from time to time). I'll be upgrading to a Silvia if I have problems with my replacement Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by teetotaler View Post
    Do Gaggia make these boilers out of anything but aluminium? Also does anyone know if Rancillio Silvia's have the same problem?
    Silvias have a brass boiler, any metal will corrode if mistreated though.

That said the boiler pictured above seems to be suffering from dissimilar metal corrosion, essentially the aluminium is acting as a sacrificial anode for the copper tubing (they strap chunks of aluminium to the legs of oil rigs specifically for this reason, they corrode in preferrence to the steel of the legs) for this to occur though suggests that the water it's been fed is probably pretty hard, this doesn't happen (or at least not at any perceptible rate) in a Silvia because brass is mostly copper (though hard water will of course still result in scale formation).