Thread: Sunbeam, espresso vita problem getting pour correct

Sunbeam, espresso vita problem getting pour correct

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have just purchased a sunbeam espresso Vita (em6200) and am having a difficult time getting the dial on the espresso gauge into the "optimum pour" area. I am always getting a under extracted pour sometimes by a very large amount. I am using a sunbeam Grindfresh coffee grinder to grind my coffee beans, I have tried the grind settings from 4 to 25 with little or no difference, I have tried tamping down really hard, tamping down soft, I have purchased a better tamper than the plastic one that is supplied but still cannot get the needle into the optimum pour area of the gauge. I am following instructions and filling the basket to within 3mm of the lip but each time the coffee comes out very quickly and thin, not honey- like as I have seen with friends coffee machines.
    I am wondering if I am still doing something wrong or if there is something faulty with the machine itself.

Any help would be appreciated.

If it is coming out too quickly you need to apply more impedance to the puck.

Finer grind and More tamp.

How fresh are the beans?

Quote Originally Posted by C-man View Post
    If it is coming out too quickly you need to apply more impedance to the puck.

Finer grind and More tamp.

How fresh are the beans?
    The beans are only about a week old, I am going to get a friend who makes nice coffee to grind some beans on their grinder for me and try that out.
    Something i forgot to mention when it pours the whole process only takes about 3 or 4 seconds, i have been told that this should take much longer .

Hi,
    Was searching for Sunbeam problems and found the snobs.

I have EXACTLY the same issues as isusdfr. Same machine, sunbeam grinder, fresh beans and no matter how fine the grind and how dampened down the puck is the guage is never in the 'correct' range. Puck is always runny/sloppy as well after the coffee is poured.

Rang Sunbeam and they advised finer grind (already powder) and sent me a washer to adjust the grinder - different model so that was of no value.

Need some left field suggestions please.

Hiya, my daughter has just bought me the same Espresso Machine and I am having the exact same problem. Could you keep me informed on any break throughs you have?

The pucks on these machines will be sloppy; they don't have a 3-way.

As always, the suggestions are:
    - fresh coffee (within 3 weeks of roasting)
    - freshly ground (within 3 minutes of grinding)
    - adequately tamped (not using the plastic spoon that sunbeam gives you)
    - not using a double wall basket
    - potentially updosing
    - getting training

I had the same issue with the Espresso Vita and thought I'd post my solution in case it's helpful to anyone else. I was using my 3 year old DeLonghi KG100 grinder on the finest setting, but it turned out not to be fine enough. To test if it was my grinder I got some beans ground for me at the roasters, and that was all it took. Maybe my grinder was just too old - although I've seen other comments that this grinder isn't great for espresso anyway.

I have two 6910's and can tell you one thing - forget the gauge until the coffee takes circa 30 secs to go through and then see what the gauge indicates. One of mine is correct at 3 o'clock, the other at 2 o'clock... the grinding, tamping dosing stuff above will sort out the time of the pull.

Bought this machine myself a month ago was having the same problems always in the grey mid line. Phoned Sunbeam but they were useless told me I may need a bigger grind. Since then I bought a Breville smart grinder fresh roast beans and daily changed the adjustment . It says 11/25 are expresso settings I started at 11 and found there was way too much coffee so I adjusted the quantity down and raised the grind number by 2 daily reducing the fineness until I hit Gold. All grinders are different but on this model the finest setting and 2 bars out of the 5 on the less or more= Perfection. Optimum pour tasting great.