Thread: Breville 800es Steam Wand Leaking

Breville 800es Steam Wand Leaking

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hiya!

My second hand Breville 800es has steam and water coming out of the top of the steam wand.

I imagine it's due a bit of maintenance, and I've had a bit of a Google but I can't work out if it's the whole wand assembly I need to replace or just the plastic washer bit at the top of it. Any pointers from anyone a bit more in the know re the inner workings of these machines?? I almost want it to blow up so I can upgrade but maybe not this close to Christmas, I had a laugh.

TIA guys

First check if the nut at the top of the steam wand is loose. Needs to be snug but not over tightened.

If its not loose then undo it and remove the steam wand. There should be a plastic half cup under the ball at the top of the wand and there will be another inside the fitting the nut screws onto. A bent piece of wire with a small hook used with care should help to fish it out. These nylon half cups may need replacing. If the ball at the top of the steam wand is scratched or lost its chrome in patches it may also need replacing.

800ES seals.jpg800ES seals2.jpg

Phew! Took me a few days to get back on (my baby is teething and it's a bit of a disaster all round, I had a laugh). Thanks for this - that's a huge help. I will follow your instructions and take a look. I will update this thread too with some pics and what I did in case it's of use to future people searching for the same issue.

Must say if my machine breaks down in any way in the next few days I'm going straight down the shops to melt my credit card. There's no way I'm doing without my coffee for even 24 hours with no sleep and a screaming child to deal with!

Just a quick update... I got my spanner out and discovered that the nut was horribly loose. I tightened it up and she's all good to go again - my sincere thanks for your extremely kind help CafeLotta. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my query!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsty View Post
    Just a quick update... I got my spanner out and discovered that the nut was horribly loose. I tightened it up and she's all good to go again - my sincere thanks for your extremely kind help CafeLotta. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my query!
    Happy to hear you fixed the problem. Just be sure not to overtighten the nut otherwise the plastic cups will wear quickly.

I tighten these just past the point where I can undo it by hand and the steam wand feels like it has just a little resistance when you move it.

Breville 800ES

Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    Happy to hear you fixed the problem. Just be sure not to overtighten the nut otherwise the plastic cups will wear quickly.

I tighten these just past the point where I can undo it by hand and the steam wand feels like it has just a little resistance when you move it.
    I have the same same machine with a slightly different problem....

Steam has stopped coming out from the steam wand....

Any ideas people??????

Would like to fix it...

Thanks

Try this if you haven't already - Solutions: Die-Cast Espresso Machine 800ESXL No Steam Generated - YouTube

Does hot water flow freely on the hot water setting? Have you tried descaling with something like Caffeto or cino cleano?

800es and 800esxl

hi,
    is breville 800es and same espresso machine as breville 800esxl.....wondering if the steam arm from 800esxl will fit 800es???....thanks

I have the same espresso machine (Breville 800ES). My steam wand is leaking at the top where the the steel nut is. It leaks down the steam wand. The steel nut appears to be tight, so I'm unsure what's causing the leakage. It will still steam/froth, but I have to keep something over my hand so that the hot water leaking above doesn't burn me. The wand is also really loose, in my opinion. It's gotten looser over the years. I've had this machine for going on 9 years, so if there's a way to fix it, that would be preferable. I don't know what replacement parts to order for it. Thank you.