Thread: Sunbeam & Breville help..

Sunbeam & Breville help..

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So after preparing to buy a new coffee machine from some advice I got here, I was given a never used Sunbeam EM3600! To get decent results from it I bought a Breville smart grinder yesterday, and am preparing to make the great leap into coffeesnob land. So, can the knowledgeable folks here give me some ideas as to where to begin my journey. I'm thinking some unpressurised baskets would be a good start, but no idea what I need or where to get them in Melbourne. Also some quality recently roasted beans from a good coffee dealer will help.

Any advice welcome!

welcome to CS, IvanG

Get your beans from Andy, here on Beanbay, click on the link to roasted beans at the top of the page.
    Get what you might need in a three week period and stick to one bean to start with, something like the Peru, Colombian or Elephant Hills,
    once you're up to speed with your gear, you could broaden your choice.
    As for technique, there is plenty here and on the web in general, go looking with the the CS search function or go Google, using your machine model number as search parameter and a phrase like "how to make espresso".
    Find the thread here on CS for your gear and search for Scottie Callaghan, he has some instructional video attached to a site sponsor's website.
    (might be Espresso Company Australia?).

Use your initiative, ask questions, enjoy the journey!

here's the link to ECA:

http://www.espressocompany.com.au/how-to.htm
    Last edited by chokkidog; 28th December 2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: add link

good advice, but don't forget the single wall basket, you will not be able to get real creama without it.

one of our sponsors here has them Things Coffee | Pullman Tamper, Coffee Tamper, VST Filter Basket, VST Refractometer, Hottop, Coffee Roaster, KN-8828B-2

also a good grinder is a must.

Ok basket ordered, and I've watched a couple of expert videos, so let's see where we get. Thanks again for the responses!

you might also want to look at this

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...shots-now.html

Ok so I'm going (as Scottie Callaghan suggests) for 18-22g ground coffee in the portafilter basket. The problem is that 20g of ground coffee from the smart grinder makes it overflow. Is that because of the filter diameter size? Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by IvanG View Post
    Ok so I'm going (as Scottie Callaghan suggests) for 18-22g ground coffee in the portafilter basket. The problem is that 20g of ground coffee from the smart grinder makes it overflow. Is that because of the filter diameter size? Any thoughts?
    The EM3600 has a 51mm filter basker whereas the 18-22g probably refers to a 58mm basket.

You could try a couple of taps on the bench or rubber mat when the grinds are in a peak and reached near the top of the basket. This will compact them slightly and then you can top off the grinds before sweeping to level off before tamping. I can get 22gms in a 53mm basket using this technique with the right grind and tamp.

Experiment to get the best result but don't get stuck on getting 22gms in your basket. Taste will always be more important than numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    The EM3600 has a 51mm filter basker whereas the 18-22g probably refers to a 58mm basket.

You could try a couple of taps on the bench or rubber mat when the grinds are in a peak and reached near the top of the basket. This will compact them slightly and then you can top off the grinds before sweeping to level off before tamping. I can get 22gms in a 53mm basket using this technique with the right grind and tamp.

Experiment to get the best result but don't get stuck on getting 22gms in your basket. Taste will always be more important than numbers.
    Yeah I've been doing the tap trick. I've also reduced the amount of grind and it seems to be working ok. Problem is I know I'm going to want a coffee machine with a bigger basket!