Thread: Newbie with Gaggia Classic looking for advice

Newbie with Gaggia Classic looking for advice

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I am pretty new to this home diy coffee experience but have had the pleasure to make good coffee at work before.

I have gone out and got myself a cheap $150 Gaggia classic as I noticed that some in this forum had suggested it as a good start point. I couldnt stretch to a silvia with my xmas money so decided it would do the trick.

Anyway the machine I got seems to have been cleaned quite well but may need some tlc to bring it back to a good machine.

I made my first coffee today with some pre-ground grinders brand coffee from Woolies. The pre-ground didn't taste that good but I at least got to play with the machine and check it worked ok. The machine created a bit of crema and did a good job of frothing the milk as far as I could tell ( I'm still new to this but have made quite a few coffees on work machines such as a Silvia and a Bezzera so I know a little).

I found a few things that might be worth replacing perhaps?

Firstly when I knocked out the coffee from the portafilter (I think that is what is is called?) the basket dropped into the bin with the coffee. I am thinking that this probably indicates that the portafilter needs a new spring to hold the basket in place? Would this be the case.

Secondly, when giving the portafilter a clean I noticed that water didnt drain through the basket quickly at all. Would this indicate that the basket is perhaps a bit clogged and could do with a descale perhaps?

I don't mind buying a few new parts such as the basket and portafilter spring to get the machine operating a bit better? Am I being a bit over the top or are these things normal.

By the way as far as I can tell the machine is probably a good 10 years old and was used in a business before going to one of the employees so the parts in it are probably pretty well used.

Thanks for any help. I will check the forum for some info to other general questions I have. Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin740 View Post
    Secondly, when giving the portafilter a clean I noticed that water didnt drain through the basket quickly at all. Would this indicate that the basket is perhaps a bit clogged and could do with a descale perhaps?
    Just to clarify, is the filter basket pressurized or normal? Does it have plenty of holes on the underside or only one?

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/Attachments/P1010668.jpg - the bottom filter baskets are non-pressurized.

If the baskets were pressurized, then yes, the water would drain through quite slowly.
    If they are normal then you might just need to give them a good clean. I've never had scale build up on the filter baskets but you do tend to get fine enough coffee grinds stuck in the holes.

Re: Newbie with Gaggia Classic looking for advice

The basket is non-pressurised as it has a lot of holes. I'll give it a good clean and then soak in coffee clean. Thanks for the help and also photos to explain the difference between pressure and non pressurised baskets.

I am thinking of replacing the group head seal as I assume these perish in the heat over time.