Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By Johnonetrillion

Thread: To much pressure...

Dubbo, New South Wales, Australia, Australia

To much pressure...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have a Gaggia Classic and when I bought it it had a dead Vibration pump in it, I have bought a new one but it seems to
    have too much pressure.
    I get 9 Bar at the basket (tested with a pressure gauge) but the espresso comes out way to fast and very thin.
    I use a Delonghi grinder on the finest setting and the beans are fresh.

The pump specs are:

AC.
    Ideal Fluid: Water.
    Self-priming at 0 bar.
    Inserted Diode.
    Electrical Connections 6,3 x 0,8.
    A joint making the pump independent
    from the hydraulic connection at the
    delivery is provided.
    Thermal cut-out pocket.
    230V
    50HZ
    2/1 MIN. CI.F 48W

Do I have to readjust the OPV because this motor seems to pump more fluid than the standard one?

Please help

Phil

Sounds to me like supermarket beans not ground fine enough.
    How do you know the beans are fresh?

Phil, the pressure you meaured is what you need.

Is it an Ulka vibe pump?

But assuming all is right with the pump and pressure, other factors will produce a gusher.

The dosing. Depending on your basket size, have you filled the basket?

Does your grinder grind fine enough?

Then, are you tamping withnsufficient pressure of around 14 kg?

If all is right you should aim for a max 60 ml extraction in about 25-30 seconds....

Yes it is an Ulka Vibe EP5 Pump.
    I am grinding at the Finest setting, I use a full basket and level off at the top then I use a stainless steel tamper and and push the hell out of it.
    It is all level and well polished on top.

Like what Yelta Said, how do you know the beans are fresh?

Cheers,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by coffeechris View Post
    Like what Yelta Said, how do you know the beans are fresh?

Cheers,

Chris
    Exactly Chris, try the obvious first, is the grind fine enough? I doubt it, who were the beans roasted by and are they fresh? I have no idea and Phil has chosen not to enlighten us.

might be the grinder. I had a delonghi of some sort and it was marginal for espresso.

The beans are from a supermarket foil packet (Oxfam Fair Trade Roasted but not ground). I have ground them on the finest setting.
    Would it be better buying ground coffee and if so what type... I have no idea.

TC
    Hi Phil? Do they have a roast date on them? Anything beyond about a month after roast will be stale...

If you see a use by date well into the future it's an indication that the a 1-3 year life is being assigned to the coffee.

Try to get some fresh coffee- or roast your own!

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    The beans are from a supermarket foil packet (Oxfam Fair Trade Roasted but not ground). I have ground them on the finest setting.
    I suspect that supermarket beans are a big part of your problem Phil, try ordering some Coffee Snobs beans from here http://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/ViewCategory.aspx/RoastedCoffee
    As far as ordering pre ground
    , I have no idea of the capability of your grinder, if you order roasted beans from Beanbay and still get gushers you may have to think about a new grinder.
    In the meantime do a little research on this site, there is a wealth of information on the topic we are discussing.

Thanks heaps... The coffee doesn't have a roast date on them at all, and best before is in like 10 Months.
    Last edited by phil; 23rd February 2013 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Spelling was a shocker

Thanks heaps... The coffee doesn't have a roast date on them at all, and best before is in like 10 Months.
    Hmmm, given that the general consensus would suggest that freshly roasted coffee has a shelf-life of 90 days at worst and maybe 21 days at best I would think that the best before date 10 months from now should provide a clue as to the relative quality of this coffee. Why not run off to your local roaster or buy from one of the onsite sponsors and try again?

Phil,

Welcome to coffeeSnobs.

I see that you have at least one coffee roaster in Dubbo. The Fast Lane Drive Thru Coffee business roast weekly and sell coffee that would be fresher than the Oxfam beans from a supermarket.

Roasted coffee is usually at its best for about one to three weeks after roasting.

Barry

Re: To much pressure...

Thats great, I never knew that the fast lane roast there own coffee.... I will see them and grab some coffee beans.

When you try freshly roasted coffee from a roaster you will never go back to the super market stuff. Im sure like me, most of us have been there some time in our life buying beans from a super market..

I have seen in the Forum that you can use a Popcorn Popper as a roaster? Will this kill the popper faster that using it for Popcorn. (My kids may not like me killing it)

I was going to mention in my previous message, have you thought of roasting your own? Its fun, i wont say its hard but i wont say its east either. There are many ways you can roast at home and the popcorn maker is a place that most first start with.

To answer your question about killing the popcorn maker it depends if the kinds like coffee popcorn. Alternatively, you can now buy cheap popcorn makers for as little as $20 at target and K mart. If you do some research on this topic of home roasting you might find that its a great thing to try very addictive.
    The good thing is there are heaps of people on here who can give you advice about it, its endless.....

But yes the kids may not be happy with a over used popcorn maker that smells like coffee.

Cheers,

Chris

FWIW Phil, I would suggest you get your Gaggia performing as it should with commercially roasted beans you enjoy before you attempt roasting your own, too many variables all at once make it difficult to pin problems down.
    Once you know what your aiming for it may well be time to start roasting.
    coffeechris and phil like this.

Re: To much pressure...

Yeah ok, I will try the freshly roasted beans fron fastlane and get the macine running right first.

hi Phil

Read all the above and believe your problem is the grinder if you could try a better grinder i am sure you will see a difference. Sunbeam 0480 at a minimum a friend had the same grinder as you have mentioned and same problem running too fast tried a better grinder and it was a lot better.

I have bought Beans from "The Fast Lane" and they roast every Wednesday and they let them rest for 2 days. I Grind some on the finest setting and it makes for a great Espresso, No more gushing it is nice and slow now and a great crema. The coffee is just amazing. I will never go back to supermarket beans again.

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it.

I have bought Beans from "The Fast Lane" and they roast every Wednesday and they let them rest for 2 days. I Grind some on the finest setting and it makes for a great Espresso, No more gushing it is nice and slow now and a great crema. The coffee is just amazing. I will never go back to supermarket beans again.

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it.
    Great stuff Phil, pleased to hear you got you result you were looking for.
    phil likes this.

I am a sucker for a happy ending.

Phil, I was going to say: These Gaggia Classic machines work well with over-dosing – so overfill the scoop until it is nicely rounded, but not spilling. When you place the handle into the group head you should feel it tighten as it comes to the perpendicular position, or just before.

If doing this makes your dosage choke, then just lessen the does a bit.

Good that you are getting a nice crema out of it, thought. Sounds promising. I struggle with mine actually – and pretty much hate the Gaggia Classic for that reason. Will be posting a separate thread on that shortly.
    phil likes this.

See, this is SUCH a good site... I was considering going and buying some nice fresh coffee from a local roaster but also getting a pack of cheap beans from the supermarket so I could get used to my grinder - my Sunbeam EM6910 and EM0480 are less than a day old (to me - got them 2nd hand)

Now, thanks to the smarts on CS, I know that would have been a pretty much pointless waste of money - I'll just buy an extra kind of bean to try from the roasters.

Thanks guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnonetrillion View Post
    Phil, I was going to say: These Gaggia Classic machines work well with over-dosing – so overfill the scoop until it is nicely rounded, but not spilling. When you place the handle into the group head you should feel it tighten as it comes to the perpendicular position, or just before.

If doing this makes your dosage choke, then just lessen the does a bit.

Good that you are getting a nice crema out of it, thought. Sounds promising. I struggle with mine actually – and pretty much hate the Gaggia Classic for that reason. Will be posting a separate thread on that shortly.
    Yeah I just read the how to make the perfect espresso thread, I followed the guide to fill the basket 3/4 full then tap the basket on the bench then keep filling to rounded and Tamp down.
    It was tight when locking the portafilla on the machine. It made a good espresso and took the 30 sec for 30ML, It had nice crema.
    I also did a mod on my Grinder to get a finer grind which worked out nice too.