Thread: GC Happy happy except for steam

GC Happy happy except for steam

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,
    I have trained myself to produce consistent shaot of excellent quality with a Gaggia classsic.
    Only down side with the machine is it seems to run out of steam half way through texturing milk.
    I have a silvia steam arm.
    I only ever make one double shot flat white have a small ( 250 - 300 ml ) jug but to get good results I often need to stop and let the pressure build up.
    I am happy with the end result for the shot and the milk but is there something I am not doing that causes the lack of steam?
    I always start texturing as the light comes on. Should I leave it longer? Might try that tomorrow am.
    Thanks in advance.
    Mitchell
    Last edited by sawpitcreek; 29th March 2013 at 10:08 PM.

Gaggia Classic steamer timing

Quote Originally Posted by sawpitcreek View Post
    I am happy with the end result for the shot and the milk but is there something I am not doing that causes the lack of steam?
    I always start texturing as the light comes on. Should I leave it longer?
    I read somewhere recently that the best time to start steaming is just before the light comes on.

The theory is that when the light comes on, the heater element has already been switched off, and will not come back on again until the temperature falls enough to trigger the thermostat to turn it on again. So you are operating on the residual heat of the boiler which will lose heat faster with no power input.

If you start just before the light goes out, you will be steaming with power on to the element, and it will stay on for a while, & keep the temperature up for longer.

It would probably take some trial & error to get the timing sorted, but in theory it sounds like it would help if you can get it right.

I have not tried this, so I offer it as a suggestion worth trying, rather than a tried and tested solution.