Thread: Can anyone identify this Breville?

Can anyone identify this Breville?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Just visiting a friend tomorrow, she wanted me to check out her Breville that carked it. So I thought I'd at least quickly get up to speed with it (parts diagram, wiring, common problems if such exists for such a cheap machine). But I didn't think of asking her the model number at the time and she's not home to ask.

From what I remember it seemed like it was halfway between these two models:

It definitely had the volumetric buttons of the 840 on the right, (I distinctly remember her pressing the double shot button twice for each coffee), but I'm sure there was no pump gauge or integrated tamper.

She used one of those plastic measuring spoon/tamper things and a pressurised basket. She did grind the beans (in a Breville blade grinder), but maybe there was a non-pressurised basket still sitting in the box she didn't know what was for.

I tend to recall the steam had a button rather than the dial on the side. No PID display, definitely not the double boiler, no integrated grinder.

5 or 6 years old maximum.

Any ideas?

doesnt sound familiar, i don't recall any breville machines that meet those exact requirements. closest thing would be a BES820 or 830, pretty much the same physically as the 840 but with no tamper. it does have the hot water/steam switch on the side however, and a pressure gauge.

maybe it's just an extremely rare machine or something?

BES820 sounds pretty likely?

BES820.jpg

I think you both must be right if there aren't any other common models that come to mind.

I've just had a look at the 820 manual and see that the dial on the side is a steam/hot water selector, either on or off, not a variable steam valve as it looked in the pictures and which I would have remembered. I must not have noticed the pressure gauge.

Thanks.

Any typical issues with these things that are worth fixing, or are they throwaway?

Quote Originally Posted by tonypeta View Post
    I think you both must be right if there aren't any other common models that come to mind.

I've just had a look at the 820 manual and see that the dial on the side is a steam/hot water selector, either on or off, not a variable steam valve as it looked in the pictures and which I would have remembered. I must not have noticed the pressure gauge.

Thanks.

Any typical issues with these things that are worth fixing, or are they throwaway?
    i own a BES820 and i think the most common problem with them, and the 800 class machines, (up to the 830) was the "safety valve" at the pump output. some little rubbish plastic valve set that always snapped the thread off, leaving it inside the pump outlet. what happened to your friends machine? did it go bang and then have no pump output, but the pump still runs? if so, i'd bet that valve has been damaged.
    you can buy new ones but what i'd do (in fact, what i did) is remove the safety vale and replace it with an OPV. that way, you remove the chance of further breakage and gain far better results from the machine as it has an OPV.
    the performance of my machine improved dramatically with the OPV installed.
    you can check the thread of my machine and it shows the install, if you wanted to give it a try: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...20-issues.html

I did stumble across your thread and gave it a read. You didn't happen to save the wiring diagram that was posted in it but is now a broken link? Not that I feel the problem will be electrical but it'll give a good overview.

I also noted at that at a big parts site, the safety valve was the part that most people ordered, followed by a metal magnetic valve replacement of the plastic one.

I haven't heard what went wrong yet, but I think she would have mentioned a big bang if it happened. I could imagine if there's lots of plastic parts inside that 5 years of heat has made things very brittle.

So it sounds like it's at least worth opening up.