Thread: How to power up a PID in Gaggia Classic

How to power up a PID in Gaggia Classic

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I am having difficulty powering up my PID. The wire I am supposed to tap from is hot when the power switch is off and turns off when the power switch is turned on.
    > My gaggia classic is from 08/2012 and the wire I am tapping is white I am following the direction from here: up.picr.de/3043530.pdf ; I followed the exact instructions. I would like to turn the PID on, whenever I turn the espresso machine on. Thank you for any help.

Instructions say to tap a blue wire for classics made after 2006

Should be the blue one on the far right, second from the top (looking from the back of the switch panel), IIRC.

If I recall the wiring of active/earth is arse-about at the IEC connector so make sure you're piggybacking it to the right one (not to the incoming active again)

Go to Jaycar and buy a $10 multimeter; it will be invaluable. Find the terminals that have 240 between them when the switch is on and nothing when the switch is off.

If you still can't figure it out after that let me know and I'll pull the top off mine and take some photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Sindibad View Post
    I am having difficulty powering up my PID. The wire I am supposed to tap from is hot when the power switch is off and turns off when the power switch is turned on.
    That suggests it's a lowside switch. What are you hooking that wire to? (probably hook it to the neutral lead.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hildy View Post
    That suggests it's a lowside switch. What are you hooking that wire to? (probably hook it to the neutral lead.)
    No, it really doesn't.

Thank you for your suggestions, so far no luck, the color does not match. As I said the wires are white not blue on my 2012 US model. When I connect the PID It is always on when the machine is off when I turn it on the PID is off. I am lost. Any idea what is wrong?

Sounds like you have the PID active connected to the normally-closed contact (closed when the switch is "off") rather than the normally open (closes when the switch is flicked "on").

Do you have a multimeter?

*EDIT* US model? Is it rated for 220V or 110V?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Just a thought, is the case or enclosure of your PID metal? If it is, you may want to consider using an AC/DC adaptor between the Gaggia power and the PID.

The PID should be able to run off a 12V DC adaptor. Just check the specs of your PID. It's much safer than running live 240/110v to a diy box.