Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve82
  • 2 Post By Jimmytheboot

Thread: Gaggia Classic Very Slow Extraction

Question Gaggia Classic Very Slow Extraction

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey All,

I have a Gaggia Classic about 2 years old - I regularly backflush and descale the machine, however the last month or so the extraction time of my shots has increased hugely...

First of all - When no portafilter is fitter the flow of water is smooth and the pump sounds fine.

I can hear the click of the solenoid valve clicking in, and when a blank disk is inserted water still comes out of the overflow silver pipe.

Im not using a grinder - at the moment im using Lavazza Espresso in the black packet with the standard portafilter and pressurised double basket, but i am considering investing in a grinder when i know the machine is working properly.

The time it now takes for a shot to extract is up to 60 seconds - its dripping out at a pretty smooth rate but very very slowly.
    i put enough coffee in to see the indent of the screw in the shower screen and im tamping alot lighter than i use to.

Could it be that the Lavazza is now too fine a grind or perhaps i need to try a bottomless portafilter with unpressurised basket, or that my pump needs replacing? i tried illy coffee and that almost halts the flow all together!

i am reluctant to take it for a service here in london as i have been quoted 80 with an additional 40 if it needs a new pump.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated to get me back on track

Rocky

Try leaving your pressurized basket soaking in some backflush detergent for a day and see how you go...my bet is its blocked.
    Dragunov21 likes this.

Hi Steve

I had the same problem. I did the above mention it helped a lot. My tank was also pulled apart the scale build up and debris in the tank was scary. The seal was leaking alittle and corrosion around the seal needed to cleaned up. Once done the machine worked like new. I took pictures of the wires and label them so they went back where they came from.

It is worth fixing.

Cheers

Good stuff.

Yeah Its funny to think about it, there are probably 1000s just sitting out there that have been used for a while, never any basic maintenance then shoved in garage etc. Applies to lots of things I guess....

No stale (pre ground) coffee should choke a gaggia, the OPV is factory set to 15bar unless that has been changed (which it should)

The bottomless PF will make no difference but could be a clogged up pressurised basket, personally wouldnet use a pressurised basket as it doesn't make the coffee taste any better just gives a fake cream

I used to get an ok shot from my gaggia with an unpressuresied basket an a recently opened tin of illy

Quote Originally Posted by dr.a.j.pickering View Post
    No stale (pre ground) coffee should choke a gaggia, the OPV is factory set to 15bar
    Not quire; 11-13 seems to be the norm and I think 13 is the ESE standard?

The ESE standard is >13

Quote Originally Posted by Dragunov21 View Post
    Not quire; 11-13 seems to be the norm and I think 13 is the ESE standard?
    Any way point is plenty of pressure, too much in fact for good coffee

The ESE standard is >13
    The following quote is from the HB forum:

"Lots of espresso machines are shipped with the maximum brew pressure set to 11 bar, presumably because the ESE standard calls for it."

Not saying they are correct either but since you seem so adamant about the standard being >13 bar, may I ask where you source your information from?

I'll just leave this here...

http://www.eseconsortium.com/eng/are...ssociation.pdf

2.D PRESSURE IN THE EXTRACTION HEAD
    The water pressure measured in the extraction head on the serving during the extraction process must not be inferior to 7 bar.
    Optimal pressure range: between 9 and 13 bar. (minimum value: 7 bar; maximum value: 15 bar).
    The manufacturer must supply the adequate instructions and/or the specific devices to allow the execution of the conformity checks.
    Vinitasse and Dragunov21 like this.

Any which way you read it the classic has plenty of pressure and is factory set above the optimal 9 bar which was my point the OP

Any which way you read it the classic has plenty of pressure and is factory set above the optimal 9 bar which was my point the OP
    Sure (maybe), but the point being made here is that it's best not to make authoritative statements unless they're true and being stock (11-12bar seems to be the norm from my experience and what I've seen quoted by people who've measured their stock pressure), doesn't stop you from making good shots on a Classic. Saying that 9bar is optimal is like saying that 27g in 30 seconds at 93C is optimal - it's subjective (dependent on bean and taste).

Hell, the Peru Ceja de Selva I've got going at the moment (just gotten oily, 4 days old) is best as a ristretto over 50-60sec, to my tastes.

I don't think you'll see anyone arguing that 13 bar is better than 9 bar, but it's not out of the ballpark and unless all your other factors are tight I don't think you'll see a big difference because of it.

Any way back to the op he should have plenty of pressure

I know it sounds so obvious , but it could be that the Lavazza is too fine a grind , and yes it can affect (increase) the extraction time , try a courser grind and see what happens