Thread: Gaggia Classic Filter Handle Not Square

Gaggia Classic Filter Handle Not Square

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All, Can anyone help me. I just picked up a Gaggia Classic and the filter handle slots in and when I turn it to lock it in, it won't sit straight forward on the machine it sits to the left like it won't lock in fully. Can anyone help me as to why this is? Has anyone else have this problem with this machine? Also if you put a grain to much coffee in it sticks even further, it's very odd, almost like the filter handle isn't the right size or the shower disc and the shower disc holder where the water comes out is sitting too low. I'm not sure. This is probably a very confusing post, but any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so very much!

My Gaggia portafilter holder is fairly tight to it locks in at about 6 o'clock position and I have a new group head seal just fitted,

You could be over dosing, you want approx 5mm of room from the tamped coffee to the top of the basket once tamped, the coffee should not be touching the shower screen once you have locked it in,
    You can do the 5 cent piece test by placing a 5 cent piece on top of the tamped coffee and lock it in position and then remove it ,the 5 cent piece should just make a very light indent into the coffee , if it has pushed right in then you have to much ,if it has not left an indent then you need a little more coffee,
    This is just an approx guide but will give you something to work with for getting your dose correct,

If you have the correct dose then it must be the group head seal needs replacing or maybe somebody had fitted to thick a seal.
    Last edited by NakiChap; 28th July 2013 at 12:33 PM.

Cadan, what thickness did you go for? I've seen a bunch of different thicknesses available...

The seal I fitted is an 8.5mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie7 View Post
    Can anyone help me as to why this is? Has anyone else have this problem with this machine? Also if you put a grain to much coffee in it sticks even further, it's very odd, almost like the filter handle isn't the right size or the shower disc and the shower disc holder where the water comes out is sitting too low. I'm not sure. This is probably a very confusing post, but any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so very much!
    No - not confusing at all - sounds quite familiar.

It sounds like you it may have a 9mm seal in there, or perhaps just an old one that has gone very hard. I took an old seal out of one Classic that was compressed down to about 8.3mm but it was still locking up just past the 6 o'clock position. I tried replacing it with a new 9mm seal ( because I had one in the spares box) but it was too thick and locked up too early. I had to sand it down to about 8.6 mm to get a good fit, and even then it was stopping before 6 o'clock. The 9mm seals must be for Classics that have had a really long hard life and have badly worn down portafilter lugs and group head cam faces.

As to the dosage, I think that the Gaggia Classic's shower head/screen sits a bit deeper into the basket than some other makes/models, so the standard double basket does not have much headspace when loaded with 14 grams. I have a double Precision basket from sponsors Talk Coffee, which is deeper than the original, and will comfortably hold 16 grams.

Cheers, Deegee

Thanks heaps! This has been a great help and given me slight relief I'll look at changing the seal and see how I go with that. I'm excited to be roasting my own coffee and now have a machine to be able to drink it! Stoke! Again thanks very much!!!