Thread: EM5900 Not working - no water coming through

EM5900 Not working - no water coming through

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,
    We have a sunbeam em5900 that had been sitting around for a year. It was working fine previously, gave it a wipe over, removed the group head filter screen and filled the reservoir with a vinegar solution, powered it up and pressed the coffee button to cycle through the water, however it only trickled through and then has stopped altogether.

Anyone got any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks,

I've had a good search through the forums and can't find any solution. Is the em5900 similar to em6910, besides only having one thermoblock?

Just some other info, steam and hot water work fine, it's just when switching to coffee mode, no portafilter/group handle, water comes through at a trickle. I'm assuming something must be blocked after sitting not getting used for so long.

When I first started to run the vinegar solution through, it was fine, but then came to a trickle (blockage somewhere???)

Thanks,

Sounds like something dislodged and has blocked the flow completely. Not sure if there is anything you can do, perhaps just keep forcing descaling sln thro as a trickle and hope it clears up eventually? Your aluminium thermoblock might start to corrode with extended exposure to the acid though. I'm afraid it might be a lost cause!

I've just had a kindly donated EM5900 from Darkfalz stripped down in the workshop. From my understanding it seems like your 3 way solenoid may be stuck in the off/default position. The default setting for the solenoid is normally closed. Which means that the brew path is closed but the hot water and steam path is open which is why you are able to use these. From what you described the path may have opened and had some sort of blockage which led to a a trickle and then it blocked completely. If you're game you could try open it up to remove the solenoid and inspect for blockages and clean if necessary. If it's not blocked then the coil on the solenoid may have died which usually means you'd have to source another one. The solenoid for this machine is manufactured by a company called JLT in China and the model you need is. 3T06. Google JLT 3T06 solenoid and you can find them on alibaba.com. I'm still waiting to get a price for one from the supplier but no response. I don't fancy paying $124 from the bigspareswarhouse just yet. I'll hopefully get around to writing a post of how to disassemble the EM5900 soon.