Thread: Naked beville 800es

Naked beville 800es

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I cut the bottom of the porta filter off
    Attached Images Attached Images

Search "bes820 naked" on youtube and you'll see a few videos I made. Makes a big difference in the cup, doesn't it.

Good job. I go naked most of the time with my BES900.

It lets me see how good my dose and tamp is. I can see when I have an even pour without channelling.

Also it is easier to keep the portafilter spotlessly clean.

Enjoy your coffee.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Duncan View Post
    Good job. I go naked most of the time with my BES900.

It lets me see how good my dose and tamp is. I can see when I have an even pour without channelling.

Also it is easier to keep the portafilter spotlessly clean.

Enjoy your coffee.

Barry
    I have a bes900 at in storage on the other side of the planet, in which I only use naked porta filter and vst baskets. With a smart grinder and single wall breville basket I am starting to get some nice shots from the 800es, the tamper I have is too small and I need to dial in the right dose and grind.

Coffee snobs wow espresso beans. My postie quizzed me about them this morning as the aroma was filling the sorting area, he did a double take when I said they roasted less than 24hrs ago and at the price. Enought to write the web address down.

What's the deal with the shower screen, its wavy convex shape

I have to ask why breville has the silly convex and wavy shaped shower screen on the 800es. Was it designed to tamp because they packaged a plastic spoon taper with the unit. I can understand convex shape but not the wave/ripples which causes the tamped/polished puck to be plowed by the shower screen when the porta filter is screwed into the group head.

I tend to agree, but you must be heavily overdosing.

I can only imagine it was either an attempt to get improved distribution of brew water, or perhaps to strengthen the screen to protect against overdosing.

Yes I am up-dosing.

I think the wave is an engineering solution to possibly less metal, eg probably does not have the solid metal disc with holes behind it, if the wave was so great in water distribution they would have taken the innovation to higher end machines. My guess is it is a cost factor.

Might take the shower screen off and have a look, I wonder if any flat screens from other machines fit

Tend to thinks its over-dosing rather than up-dosing if the screen is smashing the coffee on insertion. I must say I have speculated on the rippled shape of that screen before, the earlier models have a concave screen.