Thread: Best ~$200 option

Best ~$200 option

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I'm trying to get a coffee machine for a friend- she has a stovetop at the moment.

Budget is $200. Not much I know...

I'm looking at a Breville BED250 or Sunbeam EM4820.

If I find a good deal I MIGHT be able to stretch to a 800ES or EM5600.

Are any of these models notably better then any other? I understand a non pressurised basket will improve things (she uses decent beans), which the breville is listing as supported?

is 2nd hand an option? I have seen a lot of 800ES or the EM6910 selling for around that price with a grinder on Gumtrees...

Only thing is alot of these machines probably need a lot of cleaning up with most of the owners not really know how to use them properly...

Its a present for someone, so would prefer to be new.

OK... gumtree is out then

does she have a grinder? is she a coffee "snob" too...
    reason I ask is if she is not too fussy about at first, you can get the most decent machine you can get at that price range, and let her used store grounded coffee using the pressurised filter basket...
    and if she is really keen on it, then can find non-pressurised filter basket once she gets a better grinder...

last thing you want to do is get all these things for her, and she only use it once or twice a year

She has an ok-ish grinder that will do to start with- not a coffee snob but likes coffee. An old housemate had a semi decent Sunbeam unit that worked well for her. Price wise I think it pretty much comes down to the 4 units I mentioned but I'm not sure how different they really are.

I reckon the 800ES is a decent machine in the price bracket. With the non-pressurised basket (as mentioned) it delivers decent shots. IMO the cheapy Brevilles seem to be marginally better made than the cheapy Sunbeams. The EM6910 seems to have a lot of fans, though I've not used one. You could consider a better grinder, say the Breville "smart" grinder coupled with a quality french press / ceramic pour-over device. Could be better "bang for your buck" if your friend is not set on espresso.

What do you think the 800es iffers over the bes250?

needsto be an espresso machine

Sorry, I was actually thinking of a different Breville machine... I've not used the Bes250, but it may be fairly similar internally, I don't know. There is a thread about it here: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...le-bes250.html

Give the friend a roasted bean 'subscription? Some places offer to send x grams of fresh roasted beans every x weeks for $$ of course!

Or you could keep an eye on the remaining amount of beans and order more when needed, up to the $200. Sometimes it can be hard to use even a small amount of beans as a sole coffee drinker - before the beans get old. Sharing an order can help.

my company had a Sunbeam EM4820, gone kaput after 1.5 yrs. just FYI.

so whatcha end up with?
    and does it still work? :P

Quote Originally Posted by LexiconDevil View Post
    so whatcha end up with?
    and does it still work? :P
    We got an EM5600- and yes it still works .

However... the controls are stupid. It has button selectors and a knob on the side, so changing functions requires using two things. Dumb .

Coffee is apparently good (in comparison to previous stovetop).

We're getting one for someone else as well, getting an EM4820 II this time.

I ended up with the EM4820 II late August last year
    Slammed out at least 3000 coffees since then sprung a bit of a leak over the group handle this morning though

Quote Originally Posted by LexiconDevil View Post
    I ended up with the EM4820 II late August last year
    Slammed out at least 3000 coffees since then sprung a bit of a leak over the group handle this morning though
    100 coffees a week!?! On a ~$200 machine?

it's only about a dozen cups a day give or take more with guests parties ect.is that strange?
    surprised someone hasn't well & truly broken it by now though
    the cup height is reason enough to toss it though I REALLY hate having to juuuuuuust ever so slightly angle the cup to get it under the black gold dispensing holes.
    Like really gets on my tits.Especially on that first one of the day bleary eyed smashed a cpl of cups on it actually.
    I was doing some market research at Hardly Normal before buying online (never supporting the whinger gerry harvey) about cup height clearance and the sales jockey thought I was bananas

Not so much strange as surprising that your machine coped/ survived. A real trooper I'd have thought. I've been very proud of my little Krups, which served me well for about 12 years, but not making more than 4 coffees a day on average.

So yeah, good for you!

"whinger" heh- heh.

yeah not bad.would get another actually but yeah ... that cup issue
    will try Breville this time I think.