Thread: Sunbeam EM4800C Parts

Sunbeam EM4800C Parts

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all. Very new to this "make your own" coffee malarkey but I do like a good coffee

I was recently given a secondhand Sunbeam EM4800c coffee machine and EM0480 (I think?) Grinder. Just using some cheap beans for now till I get it figured out properly.

I'm fairly sure that the seal is buggered on this machine and was wondering where the best place to get replacement parts is online or in store (though I am based in Hervey Bay which will limit my in store options somewhat…). My basis for the seal diagnosis is that when putting the portafilter into the machine, the handle has to be turned all the way to the right hand side to "seal" and if I grind under (roughly) 13-14 on the grinder, I get water spewing out the sides. Hence I can't get the grind as fine as I'd like and the coffee - while probably acceptable to some - is pretty average compared to what I'd like to be getting.

Thanks for any help.

I am not familiar with your model but on mine (EM 6910) the problem of leaking from the seal can be caused by wear on the group head collar. You should be able to see any wear with a visual inspection.
    Re the parts, I have sourced via eBay.

Yep you definitely need a new seal, theres a good vendor on ebay. I really doubt any sponsors sell parts for these machines! If you haven't already you might want to source some single walled baskets too, check out the thread in pay-it-forward.

Ironically, these machines don't seem well suited to actually making espresso. Most people (or at least my parents) seem to force a mug full of water through course grinds . Even with a new seal, after the first few shots you will need to wrench the portafilter to the right to hold the pressure. As mentioned above the collar might also need replacing, but its life can be extended with a spacer as per some threads on the 6910 here. If the collar is buggered I would seriously consider just upgrading. Don't get me wrong, you can get great coffee from these machines, they just aren't build to last.

Thanks guys, I'll check eBay. I'll also have a look at the collar too.

Won't be replacing this just yet. Want a bit more practice first so this will do to get me going

Spacers may sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by grfxninja View Post
    Thanks guys, I'll check eBay. I'll also have a look at the collar too.

Won't be replacing this just yet. Want a bit more practice first so this will do to get me going
    Hi grfxninja

I do not know the 4800 at all, however I own two 6910's. There must be hundreds of 6910 collars out there that did not need to be changed. The 6910 machine beds in & changes the internal spacings initially and then stabilises. There are 0.5mm spacers that go under the grouphead / above the seal that will fix any leak if that is the situation. Using around 160gsm card, you could make your own to test it. If the leak stops, you can adjust the clearances inside the machine in a number of ways if you are willing to tinker.

Another way to make a 6910 leak is to fail to clean the showerscreen properly. A build up of gunk means the pressure varies during the process and it leaks intermittently whilst pulling the shot. Look at the grouphead from underneath, it should have a #2 phillips head screw there. Unscrew it and then remove the showerscreen(s) and see if there is any unwanted gunk. The next piece up should be the seal, take it out and inspect it for tears. Stick a spacer in it before you put it back together and see what happens...

Hope this helps.

Rbn
    Well I hope the OP found a good answer.
    These machines are definitely entry level, but you can make good coffee from them.
    Well let my qualify that, I can make coffee that I like and my friends like.

We have one in our campervan, it was in the house until I got a used EM6910, with 6000+ shots on the clock when we got it.
    Has done probably 3000+ shots.

As with anything, practice makes perfect.
    Techniques needed are a bit different from the EM6910.

Rbn