Thread: Gaggia temperature control

Question Gaggia temperature control

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I think the old Coffee Gaggia Classic (w/o solenoid) that I'm trying to renovate does not produce sufficiently hot water. Measured in a variety of ways with different thermometers, the results all point to a water temperature of 140-160 F.

This temperature range is achieved after the machine has been left to heat up for more than one hour. Whether the thermometer is in a glass, receiving water directly from the brew head or through the pf seems not to matter. The styrofoam cup method produces similar results, as does the temperature taken at the steam outlet with the setting at steam (which I thought would be hotter).

I have so far searched in vain in an attempt to discover if the problem might be anywhere other than in the thermostat and, if not, if the thermostat is adjustable, and if not, is it replaceable?

Any help much appreciated.

Are you are getting steam out of the steam wand? If so I'd suggest your thermometer is faulty.

Thermostat replacement video.
    they show the steam thermostat but same procedure for water/ brew

How To Replace The Thermostat On a Gaggia Classic Espresso Machine - YouTube

Not adjustable, definitely replaceable, for a little more you could get a PID setup (if you're willing to DIY it and aren't worried about aesthetics) that would give you better control and allow you to adjust the temp as you see fit.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJack View Post
    Are you are getting steam out of the steam wand? If so I'd suggest your thermometer is faulty.
    The OP said he used different thermometers, it's unlikely that they are all faulty. If water is coming out at 60-71 degrees (140-160F), it could be the thermostats as others have suggested.

shep236 have you tried probing the temperature on the boiler itself? That is usually where the thermostats get the temps from during operation.