Thread: Question/s re: Sunbeam EM5800

Question Question/s re: Sunbeam EM5800

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Back to the future! Yet another question re: semi-antiquated machinery, haha.

Hope this is the right part of the forum and excuse my lack of lingo.

A little while ago I was given said machine. Cleaned and descaled, mostly all good but not pretty in parts (plus steam wand needed a seal).

As I need to have *everything* (prettier wand, 1 cup basket/portafilter, unbroken basketholder? - give that one time) , I bought an EM4800 from Gumtree for next to nix. Cleaned and descaled also.

1. Is there any reason to buy a tamper? Neither of these machines seem to like too much of it so I tend to keep it light. Not a biggy anyway, anything more expensive than General Trader would be worth more than a machine!
    2. I've chosen to use the EM5800 for the auto functions and hot water option and it's shiny.
      Here is the question: after I've pulled either 1 or 2 espressos [edit: from 2 cup basket], water still dribbles through the group head ruining the crema while I'm steaming milk so I have to pull the latte glass out and put another cup to catch it and tip it out. Why may this be happening? Should I be bothered about it? I am but is it worth it? haha

I would switch to the EM4800 but unless I use an espresso glass my attention span goes walkies and it's not as shiny

Cheers - PJ.
    Ps. I posted on another forum thinking it was this one - d'oh!
    Last edited by Peej; 1st October 2013 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Edited to experiment & clarify

1st - You don't mention a grinder. Do you have one and if so what is it?

2nd - do you not have a tamper now? Grinds need to be tamped to restrict the water through them, I think so there is time to pick up the flavinoids and oils. If you're not tamping you're going to need to start again. If the machines don't like tamping, probably your grinds are too fine. Pinch some between finger and thumb and give a squeeze, then look at the grind - do you see a finger print in it? Too fine. Does it immediately crumble back to individual grains? Too coarse. It should make a kind of a patty with some individual grinds around it.

Also, take a pinch and give a gentle rub of the finger and thumb. Shake off the grinds and see if you have some fines caught in your fingerprint ridges. Should be a lot, but should be a little there.

Thanks for that :-)
    I've bought an EM0415 auto grinder but I've mostly been using pre-ground. My thinking that it would be better to use grinds I already have if it was going to be wasted. I did grind some but I'm wondering whether there is a bean to grind ratio [edit: blonde moment - measurement's in the lid!]. Hope that makes sense. I'll have to experiment with what you've said so thanks :-).
    Will also be carrying a spare filter/basket around to find a tamper too.

Mucked around alot with the EM5800 with pretty good results during the week. I think the water issue isn't an issue really. Long black for breakfast!
    Ta.
    Last edited by Peej; 9th October 2013 at 11:24 PM.