Thread: EM3600 To mod or not to mod

EM3600 To mod or not to mod

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all fairly new to this.

First off my equipment is a breville smart grinder with fresh beans in it, and a sunbeam em3600 with breville single wall baskets.

My tamp dose and grind are consistant but my shots not so much.

My questions are

1 Should I consider modding my machine I was thinking installing a pressure guage, OPV and controling the pump with a rehostat or triac light dimmer or nedle valve (advise on witch way to go please)?

2 Any advice on how to improve temprature control and stability of the thermoblock?

3 For those who would advise a new or second hand machine what would you advise for less than 1500 AUD and why?

Thanks heaps for all your help.

Cranbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Hi Alexander,

Honestly...I would cut my losses and upgrade. You could get a VERY decent machine for <$1500, in fact I think the Breville DB goes for around that which if you wanted to keep it mainstream would be the way to go.
    Otherwise, you've got a lot of options in the second hand range too; and you could easily pick up a nice HX/e61 for that price. Either way you go you'll find that the shot quality and consistency will VASTLY improve.

It also comes down to what you want out of a machine: do you drink with/without milk? is it important to steam and extract at the same time? do you care about the aesthetics??? Once you know what you're after, it then just becomes a matter of finding it.

Hope this helps.

-Aaron

Thanks for the advice
    yes milk steaming is important (my wife must have milk an a step daughter that goes nuts for hot chocolate)
    I have been thinking about the BDB but was wondering if there was anything better out there on the second hand market ( simultaneous steaming and extracting is nice but not necessary) controls over the extracting parameters is what I was after

Get a Gaggia Classic 2nd hand and PID it. Probably cost you $200 odd. And its heaps better than sunbeam.

...or a PID'd Silvia. Secondhand they can go for around the $600-$800 mark, and can give you fantastic control over the extraction, as well as being built strong enough to last you for a good decade+.

Typically anything that doesn't have a thermoblock will give you a much more consistent shot that you can hone your skills towards.

Then you also need to consider boiler size: are you planning to knock out 10 shots in 10 mins? Or are you just planning to make to one/two cup extraction in any one session? Basically, the bigger the boiler, the less recovery time you'll have between shots. Or if you go down the HX path, the bigger the boiler, the more steam you can make while knocking out shot after shot...

There's really a lot of options to consider. It all comes down to what you're really after. Look around, chat to some site sponsors: you'll find something decent in no time.

-Aaron
    Last edited by aaronpratt; 15th October 2013 at 10:05 AM.

Ok more info on my coffee habit generally I just make 2 cups per use most of the time but have been known to drag mu my setup around to friends houses for dinner parties so on occasions could be making 10 plus cops in a sitting. Thanks heaps for the input so far.

Now, 10+ cups in a Silvia (or similar) will take ages as the boiler will certainly need refilling and heating up a good couple of times.
    For your budget I'd still be looking at secondhand HX's or the BDB.

Thanks Aron

Now when will breville hurry up an put the bes 920 on the market I am really interested in having a go on one.