Thread: $40 gaggia classic

$40 gaggia classic

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys,

Looking to upgrade by BES250 with a limited budget and I've found a 2003 gaggia classic online for $40.

Assuming the machine doesn't leak, is there anything else I should check?

Not expecting the world from a $40 machine, but it should be better than my BES250 right?

Or should I just get a set of unpressurised baskets for the BES250? I've already got a breville smart grinder to go with either machine.

Thanks!

TC
    Welcome schplade,

For $40, if it works, you're a winner!

I'd say go for it...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by schplade View Post
    Hey guys, Looking to upgrade by BES250 with a limited budget and I've found a 2003 gaggia classic online for $40. Assuming the machine doesn't leak, is there anything else I should check? Not expecting the world from a $40 machine, but it should be better than my BES250 right?
    Or should I just get a set of unpressurised baskets for the BES250? I've already got a breville smart grinder to go with either machine. Thanks!
    First of all I should admit I am heavily biased here. I'm a big fan of theses little machines. I own three of them and have almost all the parts of another.

At that price I would buy it in a heartbeat !!. But that's because I know them well & have some spare parts on hand. If you are DIY handy, then you should just buy it. If not you may need to check a few things first.

Two of the four I bought needed no more than a good group head clean and de-scale to get them working almost as good as new, another needed a new thermo-fuse ($3.50) The fourth one needs a new 3way valve, so I'm keeping it just for parts.
    One is a vintage model close to 20 years old, still works just fine, and still makes good coffee.

They are built like a mini tank, and easy to work on. Most parts are available here in OZ, but some of the prices are pretty steep.
    The three important and most costly bits are the boiler, the pump and the three-way solenoid/valve.

If it gets hot, the boiler is probably OK (except for leaks). If it pumps water through the group AND though the steam wand, the pump is probably OK, and the 3-way solenoid valve is too.
    If it only pumps water through the wand, the group head could be completely blocked up, OR the 3-way may be faulty. Have a look at this thread :-
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...roup-head.html

You will need to learn how to get the best out of it, but it's not all that hard. Their main limitation is their steaming. They will make double espresso's one after another, but they will only steam milk for two latte's at one time. Then you need to re-prime and re-heat the boiler to do two more. It doesn't take long, but will be slow going for more than four. The standard wand is very ordinary too. One of mine has the Silvia conversion, which is way better.

Cheers, D.G.
    Last edited by deegee; 4th November 2013 at 12:57 PM.

$40 gaggia classic

I have a gaggia classic that has been PID enhanced. The shots I can get from it are almost on par with what I got from my R58 rocket. Go for it, they are great machines. Steam wise they don't compete with the big guys but they make excellent shots.

The parts for them don't seem super expensive either

Great, thanks guys.

I'm happy to do some work on it myself so I'll go ahead and pick it up tonight.

Cheap Gaggias are the bomb!
    I have become obsessed looking on gumtree for them to fix up. I found a baby on therr for $25 that just needed to be taken apart and cleaned.

How did you go?

I found the biggest improvement on my gaggias shots came from a precision basket from chris at talk coffee (double, much bigger than the gaggia) and a naked portafilter to fit it

Quote Originally Posted by schplade View Post
    Great, thanks guys.

I'm happy to do some work on it myself so I'll go ahead and pick it up tonight.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    You can do much worse than $40 for the Gaggia Classic. You will be able to sell it for market value if you decide to upgrade later on, easily $100+. Let us know how you go.

I have bought two cheap gaggias (sub $50) seem good value to me.

go for it as they are great machines. bought one for $100 (3 years old) and love it. boiler machine that heats up in few minutes... fitted sylvia steam arm ( fantasic mod as gagia steam arm is plain stupid and hard to maintain),got sunbeam 0480 grinder( shimmed it), opv mod, new 100C thermostat ( instead of 107C). The whole setup under $200 and it pulles great shots.
    parts are so cheap and is easy diy servicable