Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TOK
  • 3 Post By TC

Thread: Can anyone identify this machine? For sale for $250

Can anyone identify this machine? For sale for $250

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    $_57.JPG

I have found this machine for sale online for $250. They say it is from a hospitality training company that is closing down. They haven't given much info on the model. It looks similar in construction to my parents old exobar machine, I assume that being a commercial type machine it will steam faster than my little sunbeam. I was wondering if anyone here could help identify it so I can do some research.

Thanks!!

TOK
    Keep the Sunbeam and put $250.00 towards something good.
    TC likes this.

Looks DIY...

I'm interested in seeing if anyone can identify...

TC
    Looks early Bezz or Boema to me... Scrap value at best as it has clearly suffered- long term.

The gauge is good indicator of a scale bomb as well.

Should sell well on the 'bay as minimal use only driven to church by a little old lady on Sunday...

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Wega Mini (Mini Wega.....whatever)?

I think I've seen the listing on eBay and It says that it's a saeco in the title. And it also says that there are four different machines available. Best bet is to contact the seller.

Imo it comes down to how handy you are and how good you are at trouble shooting. If you are expecting a machine that you can just sit on your bench and fire up without issue then it might not be the one for you as you will have to fix something at some point. But if you like a project and a learning experience then a small used semi-commercial machine like this can be very rewarding. Most of them are very serviceable if you know what your doing.

TC
    My advice? A venture like this will ultimately cost far more than the machine (dog ugly) is worth and ultimately sell for about what you paid for it. Money and time wasted.

It's an early San Marino CKX / same as Wega MiniNova. Terrible construction, cheap and nasty.

TOK
    Gosh you gave it away CM .....in the day we used to refer to them as san marino (or astoria) "Compact"s.

I was trying to get away with not naming the thing because:

Quote Originally Posted by Gustopher View Post
    ........how handy you are and how good you are at trouble shooting............if you like a project and a learning experience then a small used semi-commercial machine like this can be very rewarding. Most of them are very serviceable if you know what your doing.
    This is where "local knowledge" comes into play. There are some brand/models that were crap when they were new, and are far far worse now. You have to know what will give satisfying performance after it is done up, and what to pass up because it will just be a restored dog.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by TOK View Post

This is where "local knowledge" comes into play. There are some brand/models that were crap when they were new, and are far far worse now. You have to know what will give satisfying performance after it is done up, and what to pass up because it will just be a restored dog.

Hope that helps.
    That is exactly the "knowledge" I was looking for. In the end you cant polish a turd, and in reality it does look like it was made by a high school student.

While I am happy with the little sunbeam my gripe is it takes ages to steam the milk and I like to make coffee's for everyone when we have visitors. Dad got his exobar at the dump shop for $10 with the cord cut off. He put on a new cord sourced a cheap part and it works a treat. Judging by the fact I can find similar, albeit newer looking, machines for sale for around $1500 i figure he did pretty well. I love using that machine when I am over there.

I'd rate myself 9/10 on the handy scale and Dad is an Electrician who is always up for a challenge. Since dads find I've had my eye out for a similar miracle (it's been over a year now haha)

There are two types of machines in the listing, I'll post the other in case it's any better.

I appreciate experts who are willing to share knowledge online, you make the world a better place.

Will

$_35.JPG

The quality is terrible but thats the best there is.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TOK View Post
    This is where "local knowledge" comes into play
    +1 on local knowledge. That's were this forum comes into its own. It's great to see people sharing helpful knowledge and advice in situations like this.

MrSpry keep looking, I'm sure you find am appropriate machine eventually. I think there is something to be said about turning something neglected back into something that is daily useful.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSpry View Post
    Tn the end you cant polish a turd...
    You can actually

Ahhhh Chris....................you're incorrigible!! :-D

I was thinking then.
    Is there anything that I should keep my eye out for?
    If the San Marino is a 1993 hyundai excel then what is the Toyota of coffee machines?

Thanks,

If I ever need to polish a turd now I know how.

Classic/Silvia? :P

Quote Originally Posted by MrSpry View Post
    ...In the end you cant polish a turd....
    But you can roll it around in glitter!

Cheers