Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TOK

Thread: Advice Please : Outback brewer wannabe

Advice Please : Outback brewer wannabe

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys,
    well it has been a few years of using a Beville ESP4 and a cheap grinder to make my & the Mrs morning coffee. Also the the family & friends when they come over. I'm sick of having to wait to to refill for more than 2 Cups.

Been looking on here about what to go with ? Seems most people are looking for new buying advice or if it is 2nd hand then everyone says go get them to make you a coffee with the machine, THIS IS NOT an option for us. We are 900 kms from anywhere so its new or online. Now we want xx but cash means yy if you know what I mean Really dont want to spend Much more than $250 for both grinder & machine.
    Now l hope we can get an EM 6910 & EM 0480 for that 2nd hand! But what to look for online to cover myself? or is there another combo that I should consider? I am in your hands HELP?

Let me welcome you to Coffee Snobs while you wait for opinions.

My 2 cents worth is that you'll be taking a big risk buying 2nd hand sight unseen and $250 for both a 6910 and EM480 seems unlikely.

Good luck.

Thanks. I Will Get Soneone To Check It Out If I Can, But Being Where We Are Makes It hard For Us To Check It Out. There Are Some On Gumtree For Close To $250-$300, Hopefully We Can Get A Good One. (

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcfisherclan View Post
    Thanks. I Will Get Soneone To Check It Out If I Can, But Being Where We Are Makes It hard For Us To Check It Out. There Are Some On Gumtree For Close To $250-$300, Hopefully We Can Get A Good One. (
    i tHINK tHERE aRE pROBABLY mORE bAD 6910 mACHINES aT $250 tHAN gOODIES. gOOD lUCK tHOUGH

Im sure youre right. That doesn't really help me with what to look out to look out for? (Ps the capitals are a by product of my tablet not on purpose thanKs QUOTE=Talk_Coffee;520296]i tHINK tHERE aRE pROBABLY mORE bAD 6910 mACHINES aT $250 tHAN gOODIES. gOOD lUCK tHOUGH [/QUOTE]

There have been a number of threads relating to the machine, so doing a search may bring up some common problems.

As mentioned, would be best to get someone to check it out and make sure its working.

Given your budget, perhaps some other brewing method may serve you better?

It will always be risky buying used but if you're a to tinkerer you have more chance of keeping alive for minimal costs.

Cost wise you should be ok, have seen a few at that price and some even much less. Some people just want to off load things quirky.

I don't have a huge amount if experience buy have fixed two 6910s. One was a blocked pipe that prevented the 3 way solenoid relieving pressure (and stopped the gauge from working), another was a dud pump.

I believe the collars wear out also. If you look up inside the group you can see if the ramps a worn.

Do a search, heaps of useful info in here.

Best way of getting a good one is talk to the seller and you will soon get an idea on their knowledge and maintenance/care routines of the machine, as well as the use it's had ( if they are honest obviously).

I reckon it's risky but certainly doable.

Cheers

TOK
    A used Gaggia Classic for machine. For grinder, a used Iberital Challenge. These represent simple pieces of equipment that work *long term* and are usually...easily fixed. Price indeterminate....but certainly there will in my opinion be "less risk" in buying these two items used and sight unseen, than buying either of the two sunbeam offerings. While the comment from TC in post #4 seemed to you to be unhelpful, it is really very helpful. If you are not there in person to run and see all functions working, buy a used 6910 at your peril The only thing that would concern me straight up wrt the Gaggia, would be the amount of aluminium oxide in the boiler. I personally don't like aluminium oxide, and the questions you should directly ask any vendor of a Classic are: a) Are all functions working (ie are there any blockages to the flow of steam and hot water?); what is the colour of the water flowing from the group and steam pipe. Atleast you will then know if the machine is usable straight up or whether an intervention is required by you to make it functional before anything else. And the first thing I would do would be to run the appropriate boiler cleaning solution through it to dissolve out aluminium oxides even if it isn't blocked...otherwise I wouldnt drink anything from it. I only mention these pieces of equipment because of the budget you have given, and I feel this is the best equipment for your budget....otherwise I would recommend a different machine.
    Dragunov21 likes this.

Thank you. l will consider everything that is said here.In still a novice. If the lady in pay it forward is still around I might try fixing a Beville 800 Es

Yeah, a Gaggia classic and an EM450 you should be able to get under $250 easily, not counting shipping.

Hi Mcfisherclan

I have two 6910's I bought "new" (one wasn't actually new, Harvey Norman Belmont did a switcheroo shonky on me). They have been OK in terms of reliability, however the newer one needed a nearby lab to calibrate the thing as the pressure & temp was way off as shipped. To be polite, the coffee it made was "not very good" until I sorted it.

Unfortunately there must be a few backyardies "repairing" 6910's by mixing & matching parts at random (there are several 6910's) and then posting them on evilbay / gumtree etc. at a "too good to be true" price. I have seen over a dozen bought by various friends and rellies that were train wrecks due to botched repairs and mismatched parts. Not just confined to WA, as JM in Bendigo (Vic) had some problems with his "hybrid".

I would not even consider recommending a 6910 secondhand unless I knew where it had been, or I could give it and A to Z checkout first. Not possible in your case, so I would suggest a pass may save you immense grief.

TampIt

Thank you TampIT and also everyone else, Going to try a pay it forward fixer upper first. Cheers