Thread: Breville BES840 - Help/Advice

apb

Breville BES840 - Help/Advice

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,
    Just joined and hoping for some advice on a new Breville Infuser BES840.
    My trusty old Krups Espresso Bravo finally died after 13 years of service. Made a lousy short black but the latte's i could make from it werent too bad.
    Anyway, decided to buy a BES840 as we have a BES860 at work which i've been pretty happy with - not great but i think supermarket beans probably have a lot to do with that.
    The BES860 has no issues with getting into the ideal espresso zone on the gauge (does this even without coffee in the dual wall filter)
    but the BES840 just refuses to get out of the pre-infusion zone and single shots are warm.
    I've tried supermarket ground coffee (single wall - no rise, dual wall - gets between 2nd and 3rd notch in gauge),
    freshly ground roast coffee - both in single and dual wall (i used the bcg450 on the finest setting as well as the grind we use at work from the BES860),
    double shot in single wall - no rise.
    Was told by Breville help to put the cleaning disc in 1 cup dual wall and run 2 cups - no rise.
    not sure if i have a faulty machine, if the gauge isnt doing it's job properly..
    short blacks are ok, latte's are a bit weak compared to the Krups.
    Overall i'm pretty underwhelmed by this machine...

What did Breville suggest you do in the event that testing with the cleaning disc failed? Does the 840 have anadjustable OPV? Do you get much flow if you run without the portafilter?

apb
    Thanks for the reply Mr Jack.

Breville have now advised to return machine to place of purchase for exchange.

no, i dont think it has and adjustable OPV.

Flow is not too bad without portafiller - guess it's a pressure issue - no pre-infusion and barely rises on the gauge during extraction..

totally different to the you tube clips on the machine..

oh well, hopefully better luck this time...