Thread: Broke my Sunbeam 4800 :(

Question Broke my Sunbeam 4800 :(

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Coffee Snobs,

Nothing like breaking my coffee machine for motivation to sign up to another web forum ...

So after owning my EM4800 for ~2 years I realised it was probably time to descale it ( I'd only read about it recently! ). I followed the instructions in the manual and this all went as expected up till the point I tried to use the machine again.

After pulling ~1/2 a shot the machine something clearly went awry and the machine started spitting coffee around the place. Figuring I may not have replaced the seal correctly I went back a few steps, removing the brewing head and seal and again putting them back in being as sure as I could that everything at least looked right, screws were relatively tight, etc.

Unfortunately upon trying to pull another shot exactly the same thing happened.

Obviously I could be doing something completely wrong with the re-assembly but it all seems to be quite straightforward. Anyone who knows more about these things have any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by seabas View Post
    Hi Coffee Snobs,

Nothing like breaking my coffee machine for motivation to sign up to another web forum ...

So after owning my EM4800 for ~2 years I realised it was probably time to descale it ( I'd only read about it recently! ). I followed the instructions in the manual and this all went as expected up till the point I tried to use the machine again.

After pulling ~1/2 a shot the machine something clearly went awry and the machine started spitting coffee around the place. Figuring I may not have replaced the seal correctly I went back a few steps, removing the brewing head and seal and again putting them back in being as sure as I could that everything at least looked right, screws were relatively tight, etc.

Unfortunately upon trying to pull another shot exactly the same thing happened.

Obviously I could be doing something completely wrong with the re-assembly but it all seems to be quite straightforward. Anyone who knows more about these things have any thoughts?
    Hi seabas

Sounds like your lack of cleaning has built up coffee around the seal and grouphead. Now it is all cleaned out, the unit is leaking badly.

I would suggest you try replacing the seal and / or placing a spacer between the group and the seal to increase the pressure and (hopefully) stop the spraying.

TampIt

Thanks for that TampIt. I knew cleaning it would lead to no good!

Seriously though I'll try getting a new seal. Actually I just read a how to article re replacing the seal which advised not to "overtighten" the seal / filter screw - considering I was erring on the side of "tighter" for putting things back together might this be a contributing factor too?