Thread: Handle blocked

Handle blocked

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have a Sunbeam Cafe Latte EM5600 that I bought new about 2 months ago.
    This morning when I made my usual black coffee the coffee did not come out of the two spouts but sprayed out of the two holes and around the handle.
    I took the handle off the machine and cleaned it out. The bowl of the handle if you put water in will drain the water out through the two pouring holes. But now it wont drain out and obviously blocked.
    I have washed it in cold water as well as hot water without any help.
    Any ideas on how to unblock the handle spouts?
    Thank you.

Welcome Wal,

Your Sunbeam machine has a dual walled filter basket in the handle (portafilter) with a single hole in the lower wall. If this hole gets blocked it can be cleared with the cleaning pin provided. See page 13 in the instruction booklet.

Enjoy your coffee.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Duncan View Post
    Welcome Wal,

Your Sunbeam machine has a dual walled filter basket in the handle (portafilter) with a single hole in the lower wall. If this hole gets blocked it can be cleared with the cleaning pin provided. See page 13 in the instruction booklet.

Enjoy your coffee.

Barry
    Thanks Barry
    I do not have a cleaning pin, did not see one when I unpacked my machine.
    Page 13 shows cleaning the filter that fits into the handle. My problem is the handle itself seems to be blocked.
    Your answer seems to answer my query but the directions in the manual don't.

It appears that your handle has a crema enhancer. I once had a machine with a crema enhancer with fine ducts that blocked. I pulled it apart and removed something to improve the flow. Crema enhancers are made to “improve” the fine crema foam when using stale coffee, such as some supermarket coffee.

A crema enhancer is not required when using fresh coffee which is usually at its best between about 1 and 3 weeks after roasting.

Barry

Thanks again Barry.
    I use the supermarket coffee so will need the crema enhancer.
    Will have to think about it.

Fixed.
    The handle has a screw on the bottom. I undid the screw and took the plastic base inside the handle out.
    The two spouts were blocked with coffee.
    Unblocked and now working normally.
    No crema enhancer visualised.

Hello Wal,

If you want the best flavours from your machine, get away from supermarket coffee where they put a use by date for up to 2 years after roasting as a guide for when to take it off the shelf. By that time it is only useful for garden mulch or for gravelling a path.

Generally CoffeeSnobs will tell you that coffee is at its best between about 1 to 4 weeks after roasting. Many reputable roasters put the date roasted on their packages.

With good fresh coffee it is better if you can get single floored filter baskets. If you live in Sydney, take your handle (portafilter) to somewhere like Coffee Parts to find ones that fit.

Are you using pre-ground Coffee? It is much better to grind it just before use. Get something like a Breville Smart Grinder for about $200 and the flavour will improve.

Barry

Thanks for that advice Barry.
    I am not that particular about coffee.
    I still drink instant occasionally.
    The "old" coffee that I do drink is better than instant.
    But if I want to up my experience in coffee taste in the future I will take your advice.
    Thanks.