Thread: Questions on Breville ES 800

Unhappy Questions on Breville ES 800

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, Im new to this page, hope I could get some help for the few problems i've been encountering.

I recently got a second hand breville ES800 which had previously been used only around 10 times (hopefully that reliable!), but i've been getting coffees which are a little sour, even after I had gotten my 5senses beans grinded at the shop to suit the espresso shot. and the shot usually flows really fast, within 8seconds, and even after I had tamped it very hard, there doesnt seem to be any change.

Also, could i get some advice regarding purchasing a blind filter to clean this machine? because it didnt come with one.
    Thanks!

The breville 800 doesn't have a three way valve, so can't be backflushed. No need for a blind filter.
    The sourness could be due to not heating the machine up enough, although I found on my 800 that once I was grinding my own beans, it improved. I'm sure many others will say this too, but try and get a grinder so you can grind fresh at home. Also, the breville comes with dual wall baskets, so try and find single wall ones. The breville, sunbeam and krups 51mm all fit my machine.
    Hope this helps.

Hi that is very helpful! Just a few more questions, so how would I go about cleaning it? Ok, yupp the dual wall basket would mean there's only holes in the centre?

The dual wall basket will have lots of holes on the inside, and only one on the bottom. Replace with single wall baskets asap.

For cleaning I flushed and wiped the steam wand after every use, and ran water through the group and wiped with a damp cloth after every coffeemaking session. I did a descale once, just folloe the instruction manual.

Thanks alot for your help!will try to purchase a single wall basket. One more question, are you using a stainless steel tamper? Because this one came with a plastic one, I'm contemplating if I should get a stainless steel one, considering I'm still just a beginner.

I got mine second hand, with a stainless steel tamper. I haven't used the plastic one, so can't really say how good or bad it is. I would say the single wall baskets would be a better first buy, then upgrade a bit at a time as you learn more.

The plastic tamper is painful to use. JetBlack Espresso sell a 51mm Precisefit tamper. I liked mine so much I bought a new 58mm base when I upgraded my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by erinkate84 View Post
    I got mine second hand, with a stainless steel tamper. I haven't used the plastic one, so can't really say how good or bad it is. I would say the single wall baskets would be a better first buy, then upgrade a bit at a time as you learn more.
    That sounds great!i think i might invest in it, because my coffee has been coming out bad and the shots are runnning too fast!

Quote Originally Posted by MrJack View Post
    The plastic tamper is painful to use. JetBlack Espresso sell a 51mm Precisefit tamper. I liked mine so much I bought a new 58mm base when I upgraded my machine.
    Yeah, i agree it is! and its difficult to tamp with the handle in such a position. Thanks for the tips