Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By chokkidog
  • 1 Post By Journeyman
  • 1 Post By chokkidog
  • 2 Post By MrJack
  • 1 Post By Yelta

Thread: New to this all.. want to make cappuccinos for my wife.. please help!!

New to this all.. want to make cappuccinos for my wife.. please help!!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello,
    I have been on the site for awhile and appreciate the honesty of all the posts. I have a few questions. I am new to all of this. My most advanced coffee making ability is using a french press. I want to get a machine that my wife can easily use or learn to use, will last and that she or I could make decent cappuccinos with. I was considering LELIT PL042 EM as I have read on multiple sites it is an excellent machine. Honestly, I am somewhat nervous to make any purchase as I dont want to be overwhelmed with too big a learning curve and reviews seem to be so mixed depending on where you go. I can spend $500 but preferably less. Funny enough I cant even find the price and a place to buy the Lelit model. What do you think? Do you have any other suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Nick Myhre

I used that machine for three years and enjoyed it. Unless you are getting this second hand expect that it will be well over your budget though as it is about $1,000 in Australia.

Don't forget that you will also need a decent quality grinder, which you will need to factor into your price. I know you're after espresso/cappuccino but fresh beans, ground immediately before you use them is fundamental, and will dramatically improve your French press.

Good luck on your mission!

dski raises a good point... although the grinder in the Lelit Combi is okay, I found that there was a massive improvement in espresso quality when I upgraded to a Mazzer Mini...

As near as I can tell from the description, that's a single boiler machine. If you are wanting capps there is going to be a world of pain producing them. You'd be better off with (as above) a separate grinder and a machine that is either dual boiler or dual thermoblock - that way there's no pissfarting around trying to get things back up to temp or pressure so you can do the other half of the coffee making.

For a reasonable price that leaves you with either the Breville or Sunbeam machines. GoodGuys currently have a special on the SB EM6910 with an EM0450 grinder for $499 although I'd go for the SB EM7000 in preference. And probably an EM0480 grinder - the newer ones (EM0500 and EM0700 don't seem to be worth the extra)

If you look around you can probably find a deal on Brevilles as well - try Harvey's, GoodGuys, Myer etc.

Also for grinders, there's the Mahlkonig Vario Generation II that for a little more will do an excellent job even if/when you upgrade the coffee machine.

Definitely a single boiler...

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    For a reasonable price that leaves you with either the Breville or Sunbeam machines. GoodGuys currently have a special on the SB EM6910 with an EM0450 grinder for $499 although I'd go for the SB EM7000 in preference. And probably an EM0480 grinder - the newer ones (EM0500 and EM0700 don't seem to be worth the extra) try Harvey's, GoodGuys, Myer etc.
    I think Webjet or Flight Centre are running specials on flights from Florida! ;-D

Welcome to CS Nick! Hope your time here is enjoyable and that your coffee journey goes to great places! ;-)
    Caffeineholic likes this.

*grins* Oops... Guess who didn't notice the location?
    Caffeineholic likes this.

You're gonna frighten the guy to death telling him it'll be a world of pain without a DB It's not true.

Morning Nick, depends on how fussy your wife is about her coffee and just how involved you want to get.

This could be a case where a POD machine may well do the job, would certainly cost much less than an espresso machine and grinder.

I could get a very respectable latte out of a humble Sunbeam Cafe Crema. Certainly cheaper than going in the pod direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Brevillista View Post
    You're gonna frighten the guy to death telling him it'll be a world of pain without a DB It's not true.
    Especially without pointing out the difference between a 'single boiler' and 'single boiler HX' and 'Double Boiler'.

Nick,

Have a read of this info from site sponsor Di Bartoli for some accurate explanations:

http://dibartoli.com.au/content/choo...%20machine.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Brevillista View Post
    That might be true for an experienced coffee maker, but a novice coming in will not enjoy the experience. Just look at some of the threads on here showing the problems people have with SB machines. And then there are the threads that detail the process users go through to get their first cup of coffee. An example found on many coffee sites goes like:
    1. Turn it on
    2. Wait for the boiler light to go off
    3. Run the steam for 10 secs
    4. Wait for boiler light to go off again
    5. Wait about 30 secs the put the PF in
    6. Run some water through to heat water lines and cup
    7. Wait for the boiler light to go off
    8. Run water through the pf
    9. Wait for the boiler light to go off
    10. Remove PF and dry it and place it back into group head – don’t want it cooling
    11. Grind into container, then dose into the basket and load PF
    12. Run the steam NOT the coffee – the delay means the boiler needs priming (or something again) or maybe it reduces the pressure?
    13. Bleed some pressure from the boiler by opening the valve. Not too much or you’ll have to wait again. Don’t let the boiler light go out or you’ll have to remove the jug and bleed steam till the light comes on again.

On the other hand, here is my procedure with the Sunbeam EM6910:
    1. Turn it on
    2. wait for all lights to come on - prepare milk jug while waiting, top up grinder etc
    3. Grind into basket, tamp
    4. put into group head
    5. Start coffee
    6. Steam milk while coffee is pouring

And that's it. I know which process I would prefer to be doing every time I want a coffee. as far as I know the Breville dual boiler is similar in process to the SB. HX's are also relatively simple. IMO single boilers are for those who rarely drink milk in their coffee.

as far as I know the Breville dual boiler is similar in process to the SB.

?????????? Websites are full of opinion masquerading as fact but.......... some straight facts would be better......yes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq7rMCiPNv0
    TC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chokkidog View Post
    ?????????? Websites are full of opinion masquerading as fact but.......... some straight facts would be better......yes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq7rMCiPNv0
    Yep looks pretty much the same process as the SB, although that link doesn't actually show him making coffee. So were you just confirming my opinion?

Mind you the BES900's START around $1100+ and the 920's are more. The Sunbeam EM7000 is around $750 now the sales are off - it was under $700 a couple of weeks back so it should be possible to get the SB machine and a Vario grinder for the price of the basic Breville. (EDIT: actually Myer have it right now for $680 and the BES900 for $1105 - while that's in Australia it gives a good indication of relative cost of 2 similar (in function) machines)

you could also get a Silvia for less than the Breville, but you're back to single boiler rituals - and that one I posted above is listed as 'Cheating Miss Silvia' on the net - in other words it is the way to get around really long waiting times... but it still highlights the issues of trying to get two different temps and two different pressures from the same boiler.

Yep looks pretty much the same process as the SB, although that link doesn't actually show him making coffee. So were you just confirming my opinion?
    So try this one......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwZ_pjHxoAk

Check it out and maybe line up the running time on the video with your steps 1-13?

Or this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6za8yFA5IsU

Quote Originally Posted by chokkidog View Post
    So try this one......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwZ_pjHxoAk

Check it out and maybe line up the running time on the video with your steps 1-13?

Or this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6za8yFA5IsU
    You appear to have missed the point entirely. That 1 - 13 is for a SINGLE boiler machine such as the LeLit he linked. The Breville is similar to the SB process as far as I know and you seem to be agreeing with me in a disagreeable tone. Have another read of my initial post and I think you will see where you went wrong. i.e. SB = Sunbeam. not Single Boiler.

In the context of a discussion around Single Boilers?.......SB, BDB, HX, DB, what else was I going to think when you haven't been clear?

And try not to read too much into words on a page :-D
    Last edited by chokkidog; 2nd April 2014 at 08:23 PM.

similar in process to the SB. HX's are also relatively simple.
    nor have I ever seen 'Sunbeam' abbreviated to 'SB' AFAICR...... ;-)

IMHO, ;-), a few extra keystrokes can help a thread stay on course.

AFAIAC .... JASIATC.... ;-) DYRM? :-D :-D :-D

Have another read of my initial post and I think you will see where you went wrong. i.e. SB = Sunbeam. not Single Boiler.
    Maybe you should read it again. Looks like your first use of 'SB' was in reference to the problems people have with single boiler machines

Given how little I paid for my used HX Bezzera, I would find it hard to recommend a new Sunbeam or Breville at twice the price or more...
    Dimal and chokkidog like this.

Or maybe not - looks like you're wrong. The first use of SB was in " GoodGuys currently have a special on the SB EM6910 with an EM0450 grinder for $499 although I'd go for the SB EM7000 in preference." which is in my initial post.

SB = Sunbeam is quite common even on CS when talking about coffee machines. Even the context of me saying the Breville being "
    similar in process to the SB" would suggest I was comparing the Sunbeam with the Breville, although it MIGHT have been confusing to the OP. I wouldn't have expected an experienced CS'er to have more than a moment hesitation in realising what was meant, given my comments about dual boilers and single boilers.

I'm left with the impression this storm in a teacup is more about who did the post than any real confusion.

And while you don't tell us what model Bezzera you got, most of them are well over the $2000 so you can't really use a special bargain you managed to find as a marker for what others should aim for - we are talking real world here, not some magic gift that fell into your lap.

I'm left with the impression this storm in a teacup is more about who did the post than any real confusion.
    SIATC quite right JM!........ As to the who......... nope.

I would have posted my query regardless........ the same slang abbreviation with two different meanings in the same post
    is just going to confuse anyone, let alone a newbie.

I just mustn't be experienced enough....... ;-)

p.s. over and out :-D

Wow, do smilies count for nothing these days?

I paid $400 for my BZ99s. From ebay. Plenty of others around the same price when I was looking.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    All I can say is that it's a good thing that Sonny-Bill Williams or Susilo Bambang Yuduyono don't have machines named after them......

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by NickCMyhre View Post
    Hello,
    I have been on the site for awhile and appreciate the honesty of all the posts. I have a few questions. I am new to all of this. My most advanced coffee making ability is using a french press. I want to get a machine that my wife can easily use or learn to use, will last and that she or I could make decent cappuccinos with. I was considering LELIT PL042 EM as I have read on multiple sites it is an excellent machine. Honestly, I am somewhat nervous to make any purchase as I dont want to be overwhelmed with too big a learning curve and reviews seem to be so mixed depending on where you go. I can spend $500 but preferably less. Funny enough I cant even find the price and a place to buy the Lelit model. What do you think? Do you have any other suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Nick Myhre
    Hi Nick and welcome to snobs. Making a couple of caps with a Lelit single boiler is relatively easy and fast. Also, one advantage of the Lelit's brass boiler over a thermoblock is the volume of steam that can be delivered which makes it easier to get silky milk. How complicated you want to make your latte art is then up to you Here's a vid:

I'm not sure where it is available in the US though,

charlie

Very nice looking machine. I was eying one of these up where I buy my beans. Problem being it's just over $1,200, way over my budget and this threads author.

Personally, as nice of a machine as the Combi is I wouldn't buy it
    I'd go with the PL41 (with PID if the budget will allow)
    Lelit Coffee Machines

But check this page frequently for some bargains
    Second Hand Coffee Machines
    I picked up a near new PL60T V2 for less than the price of the new Combi

For a novice user, and to save cash, buy fresh pre-ground coffee in small batches (100-200g) from a local roaster/ cafe, etc
    Then save up and buy a good second-hand grinder (Rancilio Rocky is a great unit for the money) as you will get hooked on making good coffee for yourself or your wife
    then it's a wormhole of upgrades, technique, beans, etc

I know it's not all relevant to the original question,
    but good gear can be had for good prices, and you'll get much better results from a good machine like this over the cheaper offereings.
    I had the EM6910, it wasn;t bad and i could nail really good shots.
    Upgraded to the Lelit and it's far faster to do everything, much better result and built like a tank. (with great after-sales support from Jetblack
    )

Quote Originally Posted by Robbks View Post

But check this page frequently for some bargains
    Second Hand Coffee Machines
    As Chokkidog and Charlie have pointed out, Nick lives in Florida, long way to ship from Oz.
    chokkidog likes this.

No so much for his benefit, but more general info for others in the same situation.
    Also worthy of note is that his $500 USD is probably going to buy more machine than ours.

Seattle Coffee Gear might be a place for the OP to enquire
    Or at least a starting point for a closer store to him.
    https://secure.seattlecoffeegear.com/