Thread: Persistently leaking Krups Vivo

Persistently leaking Krups Vivo

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have an old Krups Vivo which I wish to relegate to office use (replaced by Silvia at home). *However, it has continued to leak at the group head despite a fresh rubber seal. *:-X

The repairman reckoned it needed a new grouphead ($150 including labour costs) and blamed it on inadequate cleaning. *He charged me a non-refundable $39 to tell me this. * *:o

However, I never overfilled the basket, always flushed the showerscreen after use, removed the seal and complete wipe down the group headevery couple weeks, descaled quaterly and always used filtered water. * This for a one cup a day use. *::)

DO I really need to replace the grouphead? *I heard that some people can improvise a shim to build up a worn grouphead. *Can someone explain what materials they use, where to put it and cut it to size.

:(

Re: Persistently leaking Krups Vivo

Maybe you can just bin it and put the $150.00 towards something else. I very rarely say this but Krups=kraps. (sorry)

Quote Originally Posted by lucinda link=1175850580/0#1 date=1175916469
    I very rarely say this but Krups=kraps. (sorry)
    Yep, unfortunately have to agree with you on that.

But if you really must try and fix it (they are probably the best of the Krups range - although that doesnt say much)......

On commercial machines, spacers are used behind the group seal. There are two different types of material... about 1mm or greater they use neoprene..... and for the 0.30-0.80mm spacers it is a paper (stiff cardboard) like material similar to that used for water seals in car engines- probably available in sheets from auto shops.

Both these materials could be cut with a sharp scalpel to the size of the group seal, and the resultant washer installed immediately above the group seal.

Before making the effort, check in the area where the group seal fits if there is much corrosion. If the surface is very uneven, even a spacer might not help.

Good luck if you decide to go down this path.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaB link=1175850580/0#2 date=1175917177
    Quote Originally Posted by lucinda link=1175850580/0#1 date=1175916469
    I very rarely say this but Krups=kraps. (sorry)

Before making the effort, check in the area where the group seal fits if there is much corrosion. If the surface is very uneven, even a spacer might not help.
    Thanks Lucinda,

I dismantled the entire unit just to see what kind of condition it was in. I am not convinced that the repairman was correct about corrosion. There appears to be no significant evidence of this. Do you think he was trying to overservice me?

Image resized to aid viewing, 640x480 pixels is the largest practical size to use.....
    Mal.

Instead I prised this bit of plastic from the rim which seemed in sore need of replacement. Do you know where I can get one of these

Image resized as per above.....
    Mal.

I suppose it depends on how many coffees you make per day at the office. If you just want something that is small and takes up very little room yet still pushes out a good coffee one or two times a day than you could consider a Gaggia Cubika. The baby brother to the Classic.

The problem with the Krups could be anything and spending $150 may be more than the machine is really worth, considering that the issue may not be solved, especially when a cubika costs anything from $265 - $300 which is what the price is when I googled it.

The cubika does have an aluminium boiler, though for something that is just for the office that you do not want to spend a fortune on it could be your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by lucinda link=1175850580/0#5 date=1176090549
    If you just want something that is small and takes up very little room yet still pushes out a good coffee one or two times a day than you could consider a Gaggia Cubika. The baby brother to the Classic.

The problem with the Krups could be anything and spending $150 may be more than the machine is really worth

You might have missed it but Krups got replaced by a Silvia last month. However, I thought I could squeeze a bit more use from my old machine if I did a cheaper DIY job.

I didnt miss it, I was thinking of your comments of the krups being an office machine and a suitable replacement for that size machine for the environment you were thinking of putting the krups into.

Ive often used that make-your-own gasket material JavaB mentioned
    ( always on car engines, never on coffee machines. That should not be an issue because it will sit under the group seal and therefore not come into contact with your brewing water)

It comes in various thicknesses and very easy to cut with a blade or even scissors. Id get a small sheet of that, trace a couple of outlines using your group seal as a template, and stack as many as it takes to get a proper seal.

If that doesnt work it wont have cost much to find out. If it does, and it should providing there is no distortion on the group itself, it will be a cheap fix.

-Robusto

Quote Originally Posted by robusto link=1175850580/0#8 date=1176104365
    Ive often used that make-your-own gasket material JavaB mentioned * *
    ( always on car engines, never on coffee machines. That should not be an issue because it will sit under the group seal and therefore not come into contact with your brewing water)

It comes in various thicknesses and very easy to cut with a blade or even scissors. *Id get a small sheet of that, trace a couple of outlines using your group seal as a template, and stack as many as it takes to get a proper seal.

If that doesnt work it wont have cost much to find out. If it does, and it should providing there is no distortion on the group itself, it will be a cheap fix.

-Robusto
    Thanks for all the advice. *I am going to try a multi-pronged approached. *I am trying some red fibre washers to place between the group head and rubber gasket and alsousing Selleys 401 Silicone (food safe/heat resistant) where the worn plastic inserts were located. *I let you know how it all goes.