Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By nessuno
  • 1 Post By TC

Thread: the pod machine big takeover?

the pod machine big takeover?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    is it just me or has the bottom end of the coffee machine world been taken over by these infernal pod machine things?
    A little window shopping today and asked the good guys floor muppet where the manual coffee machines were today and they pointed to 3 on an out of the way shelf while at least a dozen pod things sat right in front of everything & everyone

Unfortunately convenience wins these days. I work in accounts for an online retailer and occasionally I will have to take an overflow sales call. There have been a few cases where I've been able to up-sell a customer out of Pod world into a EM7000 or a BES 920. However the Pod machine and Jura style machine sales significantly out weigh the Pro-sumer sales.

What is annoying are the people who say stuff "$80 and it makes coffee just as good as one of those expensive machines" boils my blood!
    DoubleRis likes this.

I might also add that in my office, we have a nice big shiny 2 group Bezzera machine and three Jura machines for staff to use. Most staff go for the Jura. I guess no one can be bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by nessuno View Post
    What is annoying are the people who say stuff "$80 and it makes coffee just as good as one of those expensive machines" boils my blood!
    I find it cringe worthy when sales reps come in to demo machines and make statements like "Look at that crema. It's just as good as a cafe machine", when it has the consistency of instant coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by nessuno View Post
    And they also seem to forget to tell you the running costs of around $60 - $80 per kilo

TC
    ....or well over $100/kg depending on what brand you choose. It's a shame that many who use 'em don't think about the waste they create.
    chokkidog likes this.

Not to mention bland coffee, I ask for a tea instead

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRis View Post
    I might also add that in my office, we have a nice big shiny 2 group Bezzera machine and three Jura machines for staff to use. Most staff go for the Jura. I guess no one can be bothered.
    Maybe that's a plus? No plebs using the "real" machine?

that's ok then.for a minute I was thinking perhaps just low store stock or something

I like the introduction of pod machines and the new generation of consumers it is attracting.
    It's a whole new range of equipment to work on and, essentially, make money from repairing.

There's enough high-end pod machines (although they all pretty much taste the same) for me to see them for repair. They're also fun to work on and use, not gonna lie.