Thread: Kruppy Krups!!

lw2

Kruppy Krups!!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Firstly let me apologies if this particularly topic has been covered before but Im new and couldnt find answers to my problems searching the forum.

As background, Ive owned two other under $AU200 expresso machines over the last 3 years or so (one breville and one sunbeam) so am not totally new to the game. A few months ago I bough a Krup XP4020 and GVX2 grinder package and have been having a very frustrating time since then (trying) to make a decent brew. I usually have at least one expresso/short black at home each evening so like it to be jest right - which is rarely the case these days.

Problem 1. More often than not when either making a one or two shot expresso I only get coffee extacted for a few seconds and then its steam, steam and more steam from the top and bottom of the pf. Ive tried adjusting the grind, putting more and less coffee in the pf, tamping the coffee hard, medium, softly and not at all and it doesnt make much difference. When this happens all I get is horrible coffee that has also been sprayed all over the bench, wall, me, cat and anyone else who is nearby. I generally use filtered water, grind every two or three days and keep my beans in a dark sealed container in the cupboard and grinds in the dairy compartment of the fridge (where theyve always been kept).

Ive rung Krups and they suggested a few things: dont tamp at all - didnt work; clean brew head- ditto; descale - but after two months on filtered water that shouldnt be a problem?. Can someone advise me what the hell im doing wrong or should I just give up and dump the machine back to where I bought it and gte a refund???

Problem 2: How does one get micro foam from the "thing" they call a foam enhancer. Ive tried surfing the nozzle, skimming, wooshing, whirlpooling, dunking and even yelling at it and have no luck whatsoever as all I generally get is quite flat hot milk (V. embarassing when friends ask for a cap). HELP!!!

As I said eralier, Im not new to the expresso machine game but this is the most frustrating time Ive had with a machine yet so any help, advice or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

A problem shared is a problem solved!!.

Eternal thanks!!

LW2

Re: Kruppy Krups!!

lw2,

Hi and welcome to CoffeeSnobs....

We spell Krups a little differently around here - replacing the "u" with an "a"....

Seriously they - all of the range that is - arent very good..... and if you do a search on your model on the internet (which I did as I hadnt heard of it).... this model seems to be worse than the rest..... several comments about "lemon" were made in the reviews....

Now as you have used budget machines before I assume you have also used pressurised baskets (which this model ships with - 3 of them!!! :-X :-X)...

They take stale supermarket coffee... the staler the better..... they like a pretty coarse grind or they will choke.... you really dont need to tamp - just level the dose.... and sit back after you have extracted (if it happens to work!) and enjoy the yuck artificial crema covered cr@p in the cup which pretends to be coffee.... :P :P :( :( :( No Im being neither harsh or sarcastic.... they just cant even make a reasonable coffee.

And auto frothers work best when totally removed (if possible) so that you just have a small steam hole at the end... As standard they dont make microfoam..... the stuff they make is more like soap suds in texture.....

So you really need to lose the pressurised "crema enhancing" baskets (and dont ever buy a machine with them unless you can buy "normal" baskets to replace them).... and mod the steam wand....

But having read some reviews of this machine .... I wouldnt bother replacing the baskets or modding.... just take it back for a refund. ;)

By the way to be fair to Krups... they did make a small stainless steel single boiler model called the Vivo (as far as I can recall).... it had pressurised baskets (and even from them the coffee was drinkable) but if replaced with normal baskets and the steam wand auto frother removed (just pulled off) it made quite good coffee and did a good job texturing milk..... and cost less than yours - but I dont think they make that model any more. :(

lw2

Hello JavaB,

Thanks for the welcome and words of "encouragement". I kinda thought that I may have bought a bit of a pig but was hoping that it just had some little idiosyncrasies that needed to be mastered.

The really annoying thing is that one of my friends has since bought a Sunbeam/Breville(?) Cafe Ristretto ($58) that consistently makes a drinkable brew with prepacked, preground supermarket muck, a pressurised basket and minimum fuss. There is no justice!!

Ill try and find/borrow an unpressurised basket to see if it helps. Not sure how to mod the steam nozzle as its a plastic push on thing that plugs into the top of the steam outlet? Might have to go back to Myer and "negotiate" a refund.

Thanks once again!!

lw2

lw2,

Yeah sorry I couldnt be more positive.... but sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind....

There are some good budget machines around..... and some even manage reasonable coffee from pressurised baskets.... but unfortunately most here will tell you the same story re the budget Krups.... for some reason (other than the Vivo which worked pretty well) they dont seem to be able to get it right....

If you want to experiment - try some fairly coarse coffee grinds.... dont overfill (they probably provide you with a plastic measuring scoop)... level the surface (dont really tamp) and give it a try.

At least you might get something out which resembles coffee.

And by the way.... another comment from the reviews.... they need to be cleaned almost constantly or they wont work.... so cleaning / descaling might be an issue.

And to add to your woes.... the GVX2 grinder isnt really a burr grinder as is claimed.... it has dimples on the plates rather than sharp edges.... more like a coffee crusher

Good luck.

Welcome lw2.

I wouldnt put up with it any longer.
    Take it back to Myer and demand a refund because it doesnt do what it is advertised to do.
    Explain that you have owned two previous machines, and are therefore not a novice.
    If they give you any grief ask them to plug it in and show how its done if they think know better.
    I doubt that anyone there will be able to.

Quote Originally Posted by lw2 link=1176198754/0#0 date=1176198754
    As background, Ive owned two other under $AU200 expresso machines over the last 3 years or so (one breville and one sunbeam) so am not totally new to the game. A few months ago I bough a Krup XP4020 and GVX2 grinder package and have been having a very frustrating time since then (trying) to make a decent brew. I usually have at least one expresso/short black at home each evening so like it to be jest right - which is rarely the case these days.
    Some of this has been discussed elsewhere in regards to how good a coffee you will get from how big a price tag a machine will have.

I am a believer that you can get good coffee from a small priced machine. But I dont believe that you can get great coffee from them. You know, those of us who are in the business professionally, dont spend a couple of hundred dollars on a machine. We spend thousands. And even then we probably dont spend enough. My dream commercial machine is over the 10 grand mark (and the rest some would say here!) but my reality machine is a 6 grand machine. My home machine is a second hand (but barely used and very new!) 700 dollar machine. And as it is only for one person, can with a bit of effort and time make a wonderful coffee, all other things being well of course! (including the nut on the end of the portafiller!:D)

Ive rung Krups and they suggested a few things: dont tamp at all....
    Arrrgh! :o :o What shocking suggestion!!

As I said eralier, Im not new to the expresso machine game
    I think you are new to "expresso" machines. I can only say that I know "espresso" machines! (yep, I am particular about that and the word "barista" NOT "barrister" I had a laugh!) ;D :D

When youve owned or had experience on "real" espresso machines, then Ill consider that you are not new to them as sorry but machines under 200 bucks are not real espresso machines. (and Im talking "machines" as defined here, ie machines that use electricity to be operable!) Ive been working as a professional coffee extractor for 12 months now. And I certainly dont consider myself to be a barista! (as you can see under my avatar to the left.) ;) :) So, welcome to the journey. Now well just convert you to purchasing something that is a "real" machine! :D ;D

lw2

Thanks for all your help folks and the photo JavaB. I think that Ill just concede defeat and take it back to Myer for a refund. I probably should have done it a few weeks after I bought it but thought it was a matter of me getting used to a new machines grind and tamp requirements.

By the way Scoota girl "arghh" was also my reaction when Krups said dont tamp but it was worth giving it a go. top see what happened. Also maybe I should have said that "Im not new to toy expresso machines"
    :-) but I just wanted to let the forum know that Id used different "machines" before.

Would be interested in hearing from anyone that has had good experiences with $200 - $250 machines coz I wont be getting a Saeco or Gaggia unless I win lotto.

Muchos Gracias

lw2

Fingers crossed for your lotto win this week, then you can buy an Expobar. ;)

lw2,

Unfortunately not too many here will have knowledge of machines in that price range....

For example the one I would recommend as a budget machine is the Saeco Via Venezia Coffee Machine or a Gaggia baby .... but thats about the $400 mark in each case.

The real cheap machines will produce some interesting variations in espresso quality - and some may appeal to your taste.... maybe if you have some friends or colleagues who have these machines - have a taste of their espresso and see if you like it....

All these machines will all be a compromise.... but you can probably find one that provides espresso which you like.

lw2

Thanx Thundergod. Ive been keeping them crossed for so long now taht I cant feel the tips. :-)

JavaB - I spose coffee is like wine. Its all about personal taste. By the way someone made me an expresso from a $1500 Saeco machine at a small gathering a few months ago and it was just awful. Goes to show that you can get a crap cofee from a good machine if you dont know what youre doing (although Im not sure quite how he managed it!!)
    The steamer wand on this machine had never been used after around 6 months as they always microwaved their coffee to heat it up after they added cold milk. Oh the shame, the shame!!!

Cheers

Well, Ill put my hand up. I bought an espresso machine for a pricely $70 from the Coles group. It was chinese, called an IQ.

For the price, it came with a real boiler --stainless steel, if I remember, and a vibe pump more powerful than an Ulka.

No 3-way valve, so removing the portafilter prematurely was explosive.

--Robusto

lw2

Robusta,

Thanks for the tip but (and I dont want to appear rude) why did you buy such a cheap and cheerful machine when you have such a enviable assortment of goodies listed at the bottom of your post?

lw2

Gday lw2,

If a suitable espresso machine is a bit out of reach at the moment, why not consider buying a good quality burr grinder and then brew your coffee via another means, e.g. Plunger, Moka-Pot, etc (Ive been using a Plunger for quite a while now while I restore my Bezzera and the brews are first class [smiley=laugh.gif]).

The most important criterion towards achieving an excellent brew is not the ownership of an up-market espresso machine, but the use of high quality, freshly roasted beans that are ground (in a decent grinder) just before brewing. Roasting at home with CS beans ensures freshness but if this is not an option then maybe just locate a reputable artisan roaster close to home and get to know the roast-master (if possible) and buy beans recommended by him/her to suit your preference. Other options are to buy via mail-order or online from other reputable roasters, such as some of our site sponsors, or in future bean-bays there will be an option to buy pre-roasted beans as well as green.

The world is your oyster, er coffee bean, or something :-?. All the best,

Mal.

The cheapest I would recommend is a gaggia cubika, google it, and you may find one for about $300 on a few sites as that seems to be the going price right now. If you are only prepared (or can afford ) to spend 300 bucks or so that is your best bet. You need to be quick as they seem to be going fast.

I have a gaggia classic and the reality is that this is the lowest you should consider. You also need to consider your grinder too. A gaggia MDF or Iberital challenge are excellent entry level machines, though if that is not within your budget constraints for now, try getting a handgrinder. This would be better than the grinder you currently have.

There are some good value ones around and you are best off speaking to a site sponsor.

Oh and keep away from those $1500 fully auto saeco machines. They are dreadful.

AAArrrrrrgggghhhh! Gaggia Cubika.

I have owned a Gaggia Cubika for nearly 12 months now and the only thing stopping me from setting it on the driveway and crushing it with my car while making almost inaudible keening noises is that I cant afford another machine as yet.

My better half got it on special at Myers for $200 - I wouldnt pay twenty for it.

The littany of horrors are:

> very underpowered - takes forever to produce enough steam for frothing - I think it has only got a 750Watt element

> Build quality is an issue - 3 weeks in the power button refused to stay on. Faced with week(s) away on warranty repair versus paying about 38 bux + GST for a new switch, I bypassed it. The steamer button has now failed - I have to jam a satay stick into it to keep the switch in to generate steam.

look on some of the other coffee sites for reviews - they have the same complaints.

I sincerely hope my experience is not representative of other Gaggia products but I am not game to try

I hate it.

jeff

Quote Originally Posted by lw2 link=1176198754/0#11 date=1176210568
    Robusta,

Thanks for the tip but (and I dont want to appear rude) why did you buy such a cheap and cheerful machine when you have such a enviable assortment of goodies listed at the bottom of your post?

lw2
    Good question, lw2. *
    Im not regressing from the sublime to the ridiculous though. :o
    We bought the IQ about 3 years ago primarily to test whether wed like making lattes at home.

Bitten or smitten by the bug, we then bought a Silvia * :) gave the IQ to my son * :) and now weve bought the Grimac *:) :)

....Where will it end.... *:-/

-Robusto

Quote Originally Posted by robusto link=1176198754/15#15 date=1176284710
    We bought the IQ about 3 years ago primarily to test whether wed like making lattes at home.
    and now weve bought the Grimac :) :)
    ....Where will it end.... :-/

-Robusto
    Robusto..

Mmmm 3 years from an IQ to a Grimac.....

My statistical analysis of your upgrade path based on your past rate of improvement.....

you will have a Synesso in less than 18 months... ;) ;D ;D ;D

Yes, there is a geometric progression curve there. Funny that for all my life previous to that, there was a plateau, an absolutely horizontal linear graph.

Thats because I associated coffee machines with cappuccinos, lattes and other milk drinks which I never had a desire to have at home. I was very happy with my stove tops. :( Sad isnt it. All those wasted years.

Unfortunately, JavaB, the Syenesso will have to wait. Its going to take me at least another 18 months before I train myself to become consistent with the Grimac ;D ;D

-Robusto

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut link=1176198754/0#14 date=1176282237
    AAArrrrrrgggghhhh! *Gaggia Cubika.

I have owned a Gaggia Cubika for nearly 12 months now and the only thing stopping me from setting it on the driveway and crushing it with my car while making almost inaudible keening noises * is that I cant afford another machine as yet.

My better half got it on special at Myers for $200 - I wouldnt pay twenty for it.

The littany of horrors are:

> very underpowered - takes forever to produce enough steam for frothing - I think it has only got a 750Watt element

> *Build quality is an issue - 3 weeks in the power button refused to stay on. *Faced with week(s) away on warranty repair versus paying about 38 bux + GST for a new switch, I bypassed it. *The steamer button has now failed - I have to jam a satay stick into it to keep the switch in to generate steam.

look on some of the other coffee sites for reviews - they have the same complaints.

I sincerely hope my experience is not representative of other Gaggia products but I am not game to try

I hate it.

jeff
    Okay then
    STAY AWAY FROM THE CUBIKA

The classic is a great machine as it the baby etc, Obviously the cubika is a dog.

what a week Ive had, but my trusty $150 sunbeam something or other it doesnt have a name on it has at times been good to me.
    Today I recvd my gaggia grinder and what a night it has been, grinding away merrily the beans that the above mentioned wingnut gave me, and OH THE DIFFERENCE (caps are really justified here).
    Now heres the strange part, I was finally able to place a ring on my girlfriends finger last night and that was awesome, even thou weve been unofficially engaged since June 05, so she is very excited about her sparkly new thing as am I about mine, still looking at what was more exciting (yes the official engagement won) but still......
    Next is a gaggia classic(within price range, hey I just finished paying off a ring!)
    Then its onto something bigger better and shinyer!
    I can still hear the distant Tim the toolman Taylor grunts of MORE POWER needed.

Cheers
    Steve

Congratulations Steve.

When the time comes to upgrade from the Sunbeam youll be able to remind the little woman that she got the sparkly new ring and now its your turn.

well i do have a birthday coming up, only thing is hers is 9days later!
    although she is already looking at catalogs saying is this machine any good, or this one or this one
    sorry to hijack the thread

Steve

lw2

Hi folks,

Thanks for all your tips, advice and brutal truths.

Initial vigorous negotiations for a refund were unsuccesful but Myer were sympathetic. Said they couldnt do anything until it came back from the Krups hospital with a diagnostic report so I should hear in a few weeks. Borrowed friends $60 cafe ristretto a few days ago and it behaves very well and makes a shot no worse tasting/looking than the Krups.

Ill let you good people know what happens next.

BTW - Congrats to Sullo!!!

Ciao

lw2 which state are you in.

I wouldnt take that kind of response from Myer here in NSW.

Check on the consumer laws for your state.
    Theres an expression, "fit for purpose".
    If it wasnt working as expected and Myer cant prove its your fault then here they would have to refund, replace or repair and I get to choose which one.

Your transaction was with Myer not Krupps.
    Myer should refund you then go complain to Krupps that they were sold a faulty unit and demand refund or replacement.

I dont like it when retailers try to "send it to the manufacturer for diagnosis".
    In NSW its illegal.

I had a company try that with me with a different kitchen utensil - complained to the manufacturer and they sent me out a better newer model and rapped the other company over the fingers.

lw2

All is good folks - my coffee journey continues :-)!!

Krups service agent confirmed that my coffee machine had gone to meet its maker and is irrepairable (will ring Monday to find out details). *Myer were happy to give me a refund, exchange or replacement Krups (noo way even with another bonus grinder!!!) so I looked around and saw the EM5600 that looked ok with no extra outlay ($20 off normal price plus $30 cash back from Sunbeam) and I get to keep the grinder (for what its worth). *Have made a few SBs & Lattes since Saturday and seems to be OK and foams milk well.

Id like to try using non pressurised baskets so if anyone has bought some in Perth recently please let me know.

Ciao
    lw2

Good to hear youve had some success.

At least if the EM5600 carks it youll have a nice looking clock. ;)

With all the debate about low end machines I reckon you are better off with a Presso pump (not that cheap at $240 but will last for just about ever), an ubrik and a millk whizzer., The grinder is another story.

Not much point in a second rate steam wand. I heat up the milk on the stove in an ubrik so I can see it starting to steam at about 60 degrees and give it a whiz. The whiz works best with fresh batteries and you can almost get microfoam with practice.

It seems like the trouble with machines is that they get all scaled up and funny tasting after a while, loose their oomph. I expect the presso to be pretty consistent as it ages.

Yep, can apply my knowledge to this Krappy Krups. Have had two XP4050 and the "burr" grinder. All returned after a short life in the household of only 3 months, due to a crappy drip tray and nil response from the customer service line.

I get perfectly good coffee from the Krups, at least as good as I can buy anywhere. FWIW, two Choice reviews so far have rated a 200-300 Krups machine as best on flavour by blind taste testers, the last test had a comparison $1500 machine and supposedly experienced person driving them all.

I have a Krups 2200+ (type 965).

The Krups auto frother is junk. Bialetti stovetop milk frother produces perfectly good microfoam at least as good as any coffee I have been served at the best coffee shops anywhere.

The 15bar Krups is sensitive to grind/tamp and certainly store ground is hit and miss variable, but I suspect that is no different to any other espresso machine. Even local store coffee ground by specialist coffee roasters supposedly specific for the Krups is not ideal. Have gotten acceptable results with preground coffee but have to be sensitive to grind/tamp/coffee depth (to get the right flow resistance) to get a good shot. Fine coffee - less of it, lighter tamp. Coarser coffee - more of it, heavier tamp.

Now using Ascaso iMini and with current relatively low-cost setup have no compelling reason to upgrade.

Serious foodie spouse and sister with better taste buds than mine vouch for the quality of results.

(I did try removing the plastic parts to see how the machine would perform as a bottomless portafilter but coffee sprayed everywhere.)

(The spraying problem at top of thread suggests a poor portafilter seal/leak.)

I must agree with you BlueToo. I had a Krups 2100 for about 8 years before it died and "had" to be replaced with a Silvia. It was certainly no Silvia, but I found it to be a pretty good machine in its class.

It seems to be the same basic design that was used for other low-end Sunbeam and Breville machines, but with the bonus of having unpressurised baskets (at least they were on my machine), and a steam preheat setting. Also they were pretty much the only cheapie machine available way back then!!

I cant comment on the newer models, but I reckon these older models werent too bad - it just depends what you are comparing them to.