Thread: silvia issues

silvia issues

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hey all, long time buyer/lurker here but I thought I'd try and capitalise on the wealth of knowledge before taking my baby for a service

I've got a rancilio silvia, had it for years and it's been flawless every day since.
    Today though the steam switch doesn't appear to trigger the steam temperature in the boiler, as in, the steam switch lights up but doesn't heat the water to steam, and nothing comes out the wand.
    hot water and espresso (thank god) are still working.

any tricks I can try before taking it in?

G'day mate...

The Steam Switch on these and similar machines just shorts out the Brew T/stat, thereby disabling it and allowing the higher temp. Steam T/stat to function. Sounds like the switch might be cactus and needs to be replaced (or a wire has come adrift). Would be a quick enough job for any decent coffee tech. to do while giving your trusty Silvia a rejuvenating service...

Mal.

it's either steam switch or steam thermostat. if you have a multimeter you can measure the resistance across the thermostat (should be low) and across the switch in the on and off positions (make sure it is unplugged before you take the top off, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Hildy View Post
    it's either steam switch or steam thermostat.
    If the Boiler still heats when the Steam Switch is activated but produces no steam, then it's probably not the t/stat...

Mal.

hmm, it's unclear from the original post whether the element lamp lights up when the steam switch is activated - but if it does, but it doesn't get to steaming temperature, it could still be a thermostat problem.

So just a quick status update, I took the lid off, played with the switch connections and it started working again so I'm going with a loose termination on the switch. The lights did turn on hildy.

When I get time I'm still going to get it serviced but for now I'm back brewing, thanks guys.

The trusty and never say die Silvia, lives to fight another day!! Good work Blantant!