Thread: HELP...COFFEELESS IN KOREA

HELP...COFFEELESS IN KOREA

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ive just recently moved to korea from Canada where I had a plethora of coffee options. Ive been here 2 weeks and the best coffee Ive had was at a hair salon!!!! I need to know where I can purchase an espresso maker that has a Korean plug or find out about brands that make products for Korea. Ive asked around a lot but no one seems to know anything. Its all about the tea here and well thats all find and dandy I NEED MY COFFEE!!! Any information would be greatly appreciated!

heidi

Re: HELP...COFFEELESS IN KOREA

I suggest you look up Genesis - they happen to be the manufacturer of the Gene Roaster.

Once you have their address go and see them, they surely will be able to lead you to some beans.

While youre there, tell them that you respresent over 2000 unhappy, and somewhat angry Coffee Snobs who want to see Serge back as the AU distributor for the Gene!

Gday Heidi and welcome to Coffee Snobs.
    I dont think that the espresso culture has quite taken off in Korea just yet, thats not say that you cant help kick it along though.
    Check this link out and go to the licensed national bodies section, theres a contact there for Korea.
    http://<font color="#00cc00">http://...ip.com/</font>
    Otherwise, Coffeegeek is a valuable source of info from all around the world, and youll be bound to locate some like minded people in your neck of the woods.
    Quite a few of the US companies export machines to Korea, however youll want some local service availability if something goes wrong. Make google your friend.
    Good luck in your endeavours.

Quote Originally Posted by heidiurban link=1176611898/0#0 date=1176611898
    Ive just recently moved to korea from Canada where I had a plethora of coffee options. Ive been here 2 weeks and the best coffee Ive had was at a hair salon!!!! I need to know where I can purchase an espresso maker that has a Korean plug or find out about brands that make products for Korea. Ive asked around a lot but no one seems to know anything. Its all about the tea here and well thats all find and dandy I NEED MY COFFEE!!! Any information would be greatly appreciated!

heidi
    Hi heidi and welcome to CS.
    Where abouts in Korea are you? Most of the coffee I came across was the flavored/instant single serve sachet variety. But the hot chocolate wasnt half bad sometimes.

The bigger chains (Emart, Homeplus) might have something to suit, or more likely, somewhere like Lotte - since theyre a little more upmarket, they tended to have a million different home gadgets. But either way, youll probably be stuck with supermarket preground.

If in doubt, just go down the local English teacher haunt - someone there will probably know - or try one of the message boards (pusanweb, obriens bar).

hope that helps
    J

(Ill secretly admit that going to Busan was an adventure, because they had a Starbucks. Yep, thats how bad things were)

oh yeah, I almost forgot - theres always the little ajumma marts...you should be able to pick up a plunger at one of them....

Hi Heidi,
    You might be in a bit of a challenging situation there. The countries nearest to you that could be the most help (HKG & SIN) are both 240V. Perhaps youd like to consider lugging a 110V machine back from home? Or mail ordering one from the US? In the sub-$500 price range Im not aware of any that are optimised for 110V (as most machines are designed for 240V and then modified for 110V). Id suggest checking out some forums in the US for that. coffeegeek and home-barista perhaps?

Anyway, good luck. And enjoy Korea! :)

Casey Jay