Thread: No Steam Presssure on Gaggia Cubika

No Steam Presssure on Gaggia Cubika

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Coffee Snobs,

Ive recently "washed" my Gaggia Cubika, which involved placing it my large kitchen sink upside down and basically washing it down with water (not sure if it really did much). Anyway after that Ive noticed that im not getting much pressure at all out of the steamer wand. Any ideas on what i can do to fix this?

Re: No Steam Presssure on Gaggia Cubika

You placed an electrical appliance in a sink and washed it with water?

Hmmmm.

-Robusto

Did the manual say something like "do not immerse this applicance in water"? Thats what i find on most manuals.

I think the mere presence of a power cord automatically says that.

-Robusto

nicholasm dont let them scare you off.

Does the machine still work normally other than the steam problem?

i actually didnt wash it in water, i ligthtly sprayed the part where the water comes out of the head with water.

anybody else whod like to post a smart a response makes me wonder who would bother trying to be funny on the internet. if that makes you feel better heres a clap from me

Ah, Nicholasm, as Thundergod says, dont let us scare you off! We all need thickish skin sometimes.

But back to your steaming problem. Is the brew water hot enough, normal temperature? So the element is heating normally....

Has it been descaled? Scale can build up around the element to the extent that its insulated from the water and wont heat properly.

Assuming scale is not the problem, run about 200 mls of water through the group to ensure the boiler is well and truly full, then see how it steams.

-RObusto

ah thanks a million robusto, not a problem about the comments!

Normally i do run about a cup full of water through the group head.

Do you have any recommendations on what type of descaler to use on the cubika? I heard that there are certain types i shouldnt use because of the make of the cubika (aliminium portafilter or something like that!)

I can only advise you NOT to use citric acid. Its great for copper and brass boilers, but corrosive on aluminium boilers.

But again, is your water coming out very very from the group? If it isnt, that may indicate the element cant heat enough to produce steam.

Try that first.

-Robusto

cafetto makes a good espresso cleaner for gaggia machines. Any good coffee shop should have it, otherwise you can get it from coffeeparts (site sponsor)

Hi Nicholasm

Unfortunately I am unable to provide constructive advice re your problem however, as a fellow Cubika owner, I have to ask, have you had the "machine" long?

The reason I ask is that in the 7 montrhs I have endured my "machine", the power switch has failed (bypassed rather than paying 40 bux for another). As well as that, the steamer switch has also failed necessitating the application of a satay stick to keep the switch in so I can get steam for frothing.

Added to that, it seems very underpowered especiall in the task of providing steam for milk frothing, and, as I expressed elsewhere in this forum, the only thing preventing me from placing it upon my driveway and making (almost) inaudible keening noises while I drive my car over it is the fact that, as yet, I am unable to afford a decent machine (note machine, not "machine" as used in describing the cubika).

Also, knowing my luck, I would probably do a tyre while I did it thus incurring a replacement cost far greater than the Cubika is worth.

I find it interesting that it is very hard to find a promo for the Cubika on most of the web pages on Gaggia products.

I feel your pain.

cheers

jeff