Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mulquemi
  • 1 Post By mulquemi

Thread: Sunbeam EM3600 does not pumping any water !?

Unhappy Sunbeam EM3600 does not pump water !?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anybody can advise on my below issue on the Sunbeam EM 3600:

I havenít used the coffee machine for a while(almost 1 month) and when I turned it out yesterday it was not pumping any water.
    It used to be make loud noise and vibrate strongly at start up and during making a coffee, but now it is making low noise and vibrating softly.

Your help on this, is much appreciated.

Cheers
    Saeed
    Last edited by Saeed; 16th August 2014 at 03:22 PM.

Hello Saeed,
    I have the same machine and have had other's in the past,wonderfully simple machine to both work on and operate.
    No water......Ok first up check for blockage behind shower screen (remove centre screw) remove shower screen and confirm as clear and unobstructed....Yes.
    Next check that water tank is seated correctly onto outlet valve......yes.
    Next check internally,prior to checking internally ,unplug and confirm machine is isolated from power....yes
    Next check internally,remove water tank,remove rear plastic backing...yes
    Next check connection from water tank outlet valve to vibro pump is connected.....yes.
    Next check outlet of vibro pump,disconnect outlet tube from thermoblock and point away from internal parts (confirm water flow)....yes.
    Next check actual water flowing from vibro pump,to do this you need to refit full water tank onto the outlet valve then switch both front panel power switch and brew switch on....now keep hands clear and reconnect power cable to power point......switch wall switch on and observe pump outlet tube...see the water flowing.....???
    At this point be aware things are alive and uncovered on your machine,switch off at wall and unplug before touching the machine (other then switches).
    Try all of this and see how far you get and please keep me posted as to your progress.
    Any other questions, ask away.
    Cheers
    Mick
    Quote Originally Posted by Saeed View Post
    Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anybody can advise on my below issue on the Sunbeam EM 3600:

I havenít used the coffee machine for a while(almost 1 month) and when I turned it out yesterday it was not pumping any water.
    It used to be make loud noise and vibrate strongly at start up and during making a coffee, but now it is making low noise and vibrating softly.

Your help on this, is much appreciated.

Cheers
    Saeed
    Saeed likes this.

Hi Mick,
    Thanks so much for your advices. I followed your procedure and it failed in this step:
    "Next check outlet of vibro pump,disconnect outlet tube from thermoblock and point away from internal parts (confirm water flow)....NO.

Does it mean pump has gone?

Cheers,
    Saeed

Saeed,
    No,not necessarily a failed pump as long as it makes a noise (solenoid) functioning or check power to pump,using a multimeter,if power at pump input connecters then you need to check thermal switch (on side of pump body) confirm whether its gone open circuit....no.
    Check solenoid (pump connectors) for closed circuit.....yes...that indicated the coil is functioning correctly otherwise your coffee machine would trip your circuit breakers.
    I would believe your pump needs priming,you said (above) that the machine's pump was still making a noise albeit quietly.
    To carry out the following,reconnect the pump outlets as required for usual operation.
    Disconnect the pump (water) input supply (machine off and disconnected) find some means to inject water(basting pump) into this inlet hose/tube .
    Switch your brew pump onto the on position,reconnect power plug into your power outlet although don't turn on..yet,connect your means of injecting water into the pump water inlet.
    With one hand on the bulb of your water injector ,use your other hand to switch the wall power out to "on" position,as your machine begins to pump water inject water into the pump ,hopefully you will hear the pump change to it's usual operating noise as it pumps water through the brew group,now switch off the machine.
    Secure any electrical s and all covers correctly,your machine should be working as usual again.
    See how that goes,if no joy you can consider either replacing the failed pump or as I always do...pull the pump itself apart and remove the internal blockages as found,I've (in the past) found all sorts of matter including broken spring parts,once removed and reassembled good to go again,good luck and keep me posted.
    Saeed likes this.

Mick,

You are champion! I found one broken spring inside the pump, replaced it and it is pumping water now, however I have got another problem and it is leaking/splashing water from where the outlet tube connects to thermo block. I pushed the screw as much as I can; still I caa feel tube is sliding in the thermo block. Did I lose an O-ring or something similar?

Thanks again for your kind advices.
    Cheers
    Saeed

Saeed,
    Yes,the high pressure tube must be fitted together with the brass "olive" and black "O" ring and secured with the screw,if you need to tighten excessively then you have misplaced the "o" ring,should be able to get a suitable replacement from any bearing stockist/engineering supplies etc.
    Cheers
    Mick
    Mick,

You are champion! I found one broken spring inside the pump, replaced it and it is pumping water now, however I have got another problem and it is leaking/splashing water from where the outlet tube connects to thermo block. I pushed the screw as much as I can; still I caa feel tube is sliding in the thermo block. Did I lose an O-ring or something similar?

Thanks again for your kind advices.
    Cheers
    Saeed

Mick,

I found the O-ring and put back, no leakage.A couple of new issues:
    Sometimes when I turn the dial to make a coffee the water does not come instantly, it takes couple of minutes and after that it is Ok.
    Second issue is the steam output is so poor which is not able to whirlpool the milk properly.
    Is any thought?

Cheers,
    Saeed

Mick, I forgot to mention something : when I change the knob from Steam to Water and turn the dial to steam, it makes the steam incredibly which I haven't experienced it before(I think it is mixture of steam and water, please watch the short movie attached).

PS: I have already De-scaled it 2times with vinegar solution.
    Cheershttps://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=f94XW3v-74k

Steam to water

Mick, I forgot to mention something : when I change the knob from Steam to Water and turn the dial to steam, it makes the steam incredibly which I haven't experienced it before(I think it is mixture of steam and water, please watch the short movie attached).

PS: I have already De-scaled it 2times with vinegar solution.
    Cheershttps://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=f94XW3v-74k
    Usually occurs to vent (into waste tray) built up pressure.Knob position to off from steam/brew should vent away pressure ,made up by steam /water.
    Poor steaming pressure may occur if micro switch is not working correctly and therefore does not activate pump cycling (when switching to steam position ,both steam circuit and pump energising should happen simultaneously.
    Can you hear the pump pulsing during steaming?
    mick

May I ask how the pump is dissasembled? Same issue either blocked pump / air lock and / or calcified thermoblock. As it can be pulled apart I will celan it out.

Chipboy,
    Do a google for ulka or espresso vibration pumps,like me ,you will find so much information, very easy to disassemble /clear/clean and get working again.
    Cheers
    Mick

Re: EM3600 pump dissassembly?
    Originally Posted by chipboy
    Thanks, got to taking out the glass cylinder that is the pump mechanism and decided it was ok, jury rigged it up and primed it with a cheap sacue bottle and hey presto, pity about the group seal though, major blast of grounds, that explains wht the machien was full of them,

Matt

How did you get the metal collar off, the four folded tabs got me in the end. I am camping so very few tools looks like it needs a vise and some serious work?

Originally Posted by mulquemi
    Originally Posted by chipboy
    How is it achieved? Looks like removing the top yoke off the metal clamp and then pull it apart?

Many thanks,
    Matt

Matt,
    Yes,you have the idea,watch out for the tiny ball valves and s/steel springs,I find as you disassemble to photograph each stage using a s mart phone or similar,keep track of everything,give me a call if you get into trouble.cheers Mick.

Matt,
    Yes the tabs are a pest,some pumps are just screwed together,tabs are best handled with a cold chisel or similar and gently tap each bent tab to straighten to allow the yoke to slip out,you will need to do all four "tabs", one at a time.
    Once cleared and reassembled just slide the yoke back into place and tap the "tabs" back into their gripping positions,done!
    See how you go,worked for me and if your good ,very little damage too.
    Cheers
    Mick