Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TOK
  • 1 Post By richard_m_h

Thread: PLEASE help... I need advice about which coffee machine to buy :)

PLEASE help... I need advice about which coffee machine to buy :)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I love coffee... I don't claim to know everything...but I do know what I like when I drink it.
    For the past 2 years I've had a Delonghi Perfecta, but after 11 months it began playing up and was eventually sent off for a new grinder and electronic board. It was coming up with the fault reading "LESS COFFEE". When it returned home, it was making weak, pallid looking espresso and tasteless cappuccinos and quickly repeated the "LESS COFFEE" fault. We also noticed that the technician had turned the grinder right up to maximum in an effort to make a stronger coffee(BEFORE IT LEFT HIS SHOP), so I doubt if the grinder was replaced at all.
    I've decided that due to the poor support from Delonghi to have it repaired I want a new machine.
    I'm sad to see our 20th wedding anniversary gift to each other go so soon... but we NEED a good cup of coffee in the morning.

It took about 2 years to pay for that machine, and now with hubby so disabled and ill I know we can't afford any where near that now.

With hubby being Italian, he's very picky about his coffee, me too. Usually we like to get the coffee they import specially into Melbourne, but when we can't get that we drink Merlo. I like Merlo coffee and can buy it locally. I've tried just about every other bean in the supermarket and local shops, but found them either tasteless, stale or just plain disgusting.

My question is, what machine do you think I should buy???

These are the factors that need considering....
    1. I can only afford up to about $200.
    2. Hubby drinks espresso, and I drink cappuccino.
    3. My daily agenda is FLAT OUT... so the coffee machine needs to fast, easy and simple.
    4. Hubby can't stand for long, so another reason it needs to be easy and fast.
    5. The coffee has to taste good. (Please move this factor to #1)

I'm sure there are many more things I should probably need to consider, so please give me as much good advice as you feel you'd like to

Right now, out of sheer desperation, we are using a hand coffee grinder (I hum elevator music to myself at 5am in the morning as I turn the handle round and round to grind) and plunger to get a cup... microwaved plunger latte just doesn't cut it. Still... it's much better than what the Delonghi is putting out :P

Thank you in advance... I appreciate your kind advice very much.
    Retta
    Last edited by Retta; 13th September 2014 at 03:00 PM. Reason: typo

TOK
    Hi there.

Given your 1) quality, and 2) budget, considerations, I cant see anything other than:
    A "macchinetta" (your husband will know what that means....stove top espresso pot) and a reasonable grinder for the set up, say a sunbeam cafe series.

That will fall someone just short of the budget, and will be dependent on the size of the macchinetta you buy (aluminium, not stainless steel, unless of cpourse you want stainless, but just buy a base priced unit as they get ridiculously expensive for no gain other than the fancy trimmings on the outside that dont contribute anything to the brew).

There is no compromise in quality there, its the age old tried and proven espresso stove pot that all Italians are familiar and grew up with.

If you want a milk coffee, you put the milk in a little pot and put it on the stove, and remove before it goes anywhere near the boil. Again......its an age old tried and proven italian style morning milk coffee...the original caffe latte.

I cant see anything else in the stated price bracket doing anywhere near the quality of espresso that you can get that way, and as with everything, there is a right and a wrong way of using the macchinetta. Do it well and it will reward.

Hope that helps.
    Retta likes this.

Thank you very much for your reply TOK
    I had to smile, because this is exactly how we were making our coffee before we bought our Perfecta.

We still have several SS Bialettas here including a 12, 6, 3 and 2 cup models. Here on the Gold Coast I can't seem to find anywhere who carries the seals though.

If it were possible for us to add some more to our budget, what machine would you suggest would be the best in respects to coffee quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Retta View Post
    Thank you very much for your reply TOK
    I had to smile, because this is exactly how we were making our coffee before we bought our Perfecta.

We still have several SS Bialettas here including a 12, 6, 3 and 2 cup models. Here on the Gold Coast I can't seem to find anywhere who carries the seals though.

If it were possible for us to add some more to our budget, what machine would you suggest would be the best in respects to coffee quality?
    Hi Retta

Where are you (State / town, not the whole address)?

Plenty of CS'r's have spare gear, some is posted on "pay it forward" but often it is just stuff they have not bothered to get rid of because it still works.

If you give a general location, you may be surprised what may arrive on your door...

TampIt
    PS: if you are in WA, please send me a PM (private message)and I will see what I can do!

Hi TampIt,
    Thanks for your reply... and thank you for your information
    I am on the Gold Coast, Queensland

Great idea TampIt! Let's see how we can help!! Anyone got any extra coffee gear around that we might be able to help with?? I'll have a look see what I can get together.

Retta out of interest too did you contact DeLongi about your machine under warrantee and also about the dodgy repair jib!!

An aeropress is cheap and makes good coffee. A bit fiddly but not too bad once you get into the routine. I've been using one with a hand grinder for a few months while I'm away from home and while I really really really miss my machine the aeropress makes it bearable.
    But would spending the $200 to get the delonghi sorted be a better bet?
    I'd also chase up the warranty with Delonghi. If the fault was reported under warranty and has come back you could still have a claim.
    mmmcoffee likes this.

Hi Retta have you had any luck with DeLongi and the warrantee??