Thread: Another what to buy query

Another what to buy query

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi There

I am upgrading from my moka pot

I am happy with second hand. It is mainly for 2 coffees at a time some espresso but mostly latte style. I have some previous experience making coffee not for a long while now (think backpacking around Europe I had a laugh)

I am happy to spend up to $500 total and have been looking at everything from the Sunbeam 6910 to the Rancilio Siliva which can apparently be had sometimes for about the $500 with a grinder second hand.

I would just like it to be fairly simple to use but I want control of my milk and something that makes good milk.

Any recs please? Or anyone getting rid of something second hand that they would recommend?

Thank you

Hi Pennyc,

Firstly, welcome to Coffee Snobs! I would say to definitely look around for a second hand Silvia and grinder combo (usually Rocky ), which you should get for that price. It's a hard wearing machine which you can easily get parts for, and also has great resale value. There are quite a few Silvias that have changed hands more than once. I bought mine second hand at 7 years old, and it's doing great - and so continue to do so with good maintenance practices. As long as you're not really doing more than 2-4 milk drinks at a time it will be fine. If you have time to look around, a combo week often get listed in the "for sale" section of the forum. Good luck with it! Cheers, Dave

I agree with Dave. While Silvia will need some practice to master it they r a great unit that will pasta long time.

Unfortunately a Silvia and Rocky combo might be hard to get for $500 probably closer to $600. They do come up pretty often in the "for sale section" but warning they do also sell pretty fast.

Welcome and good luck on the hunt

Thanks guys yes I think that was at the top of my list as a combo. Shame about my desire for instant gratification �� a friendhas an old cafe series they are giving me so I can afford to wait for the right equipment. Will look out for the rocky grinder separately as well