Thread: sunbeam em4800 not pumping water help

sunbeam em4800 not pumping water help

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello all.

Have just found this site as i have just had my sunbeam em4800 simply stop working on me so went looking for a fix and was linked here.
    This is what has happened.

The power light is on however when i turn the dial on the machine to pour nothing is happening
    using my limited knowledge i cleaned the shower head area and removed and cleaned but still nothing
    i then undid the back to see if i could see anything else obvious but thats when i decided i didn't know enough about what i was looking for so stopped there.

i was wondering after search briefly here and not being able to find an answer as yet would anyone here be able to either point me in the right direction to fix this or alternatively suggest a good place to get it looked at here in Brisbane where i am located

Any help will be greatly appreciated and i will thank you in advance for any help given.

cheers.

Hello and welcome,
    I'm sorry to hear you are having problems,your machine ( in my opinion is a fine coffee maker) is never the less prone to fairly simple stoppages and the important thing is not to rush right out and get a replacement, first step back and consider some fault finding.
    Is your machine making any noises while in action brewing?
    If no noises at all ,despite the red light glowing and switch in brewing position, then there is a break in the pump circuit.
    If you have a machine attempting to brew (noise and vibration) then your machine's pump is either blocked or needing priming, straight forward fix.
    Just report back,I have to get to work,I will keep an eye out for your reply and see where you take us then.
    cheers
    Mick
    Last edited by mulquemi; 1st October 2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: typo

Another thought,have you checked your group basket as being clear,not blocked,fairly common problem.
    This has happened to me a few times,coffee works it's way into the double floor of the basket and completely blocks the single hole.
    Confirm this is clear by first emptying the basket and while holding it up to a light source,can you see the tiny hole, if not use your little plastic needle thing located under the water tank and clear it.
    If that's the trouble then you have fixed the problem otherwise,I will await your reply.
    Cheers
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by mulquemi View Post
    Another thought,have you checked your group basket as being clear,not blocked,fairly common problem.
    This has happened to me a few times,coffee works it's way into the double floor of the basket and completely blocks the single hole.
    Confirm this is clear by first emptying the basket and while holding it up to a light source,can you see the tiny hole, if not use your little plastic needle thing located under the water tank and clear it.
    If that's the trouble then you have fixed the problem otherwise,I will await your reply.
    Cheers
    Mick
    Yes group head is ok
    not at home till tomorrow so will report more back then.

Hello and welcome,
    I'm sorry to hear you are having problems,your machine ( in my opinion is a fine coffee maker) is never the less prone to fairly simple stoppages and the important thing is not to rush right out and get a replacement, first step back and consider some fault finding.
    Is your machine making any noises while in action brewing?
    If no noises at all ,despite the red light glowing and switch in brewing position, then there is a break in the pump circuit.
    If you have a machine attempting to brew (noise and vibration) then your machine's pump is either blocked or needing priming, straight forward fix.
    Just report back,I have to get to work,I will keep an eye out for your reply and see where you take us then.
    cheers
    Mick
    Re noise it was extremely quiet i don't think i could hear it sounding much though not 100 % on that tonight so will get back re that after having another listen to it .... It certainly wasn't making the usual pumping noise it usually does thats for sure...if it made any noise it was barely noticeable to the ear Also I'm sure theres no vibration either. And yes red light showing and its in brewing position .

Does you sunbeam flow water when in brew position and group handle disconnected?
    You've most likely checked under the shower screen already for obstruction....just considering other possibilities!

Cheers
    Mick
    Last edited by mulquemi; 2nd October 2014 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Another option.

My sunbeam had simlar issues lately but this was due to an air lock in the inlet to the pump. I stripped mine down and primed it with a cheap clean sauce bottle with water, this was fine until thegroup seal let go, $5 later from ebay all should be good. I think I will take the Silvia camping next time, easier to work, better coffee.

If you need help I am in Brisbane too. Pump is likely to be the issue.

Does you sunbeam flow water when in brew position and group handle disconnected?
    You've most likely checked under the shower screen already for obstruction....just considering other possibilities!

Cheers
    Mick
    No it doesn't flow any water with group handle disconnected
    yes i c hecked the shower screen and cleaned but thats as far as i have gone really

Hi thanks chipboy where are you located in brissy im north side .....Ill see how far i can get with mulquemi's help first if that fails ill then message you for local help.

Hello Megascanz,
    Sounds like you are going well with your machine's fault finding, not far to go now.
    Next is an attempt to prime your machines pump (externally).
    With your machine's power off,remove the water tank and locate the water inlet connection valve.
    Using a means to inject water ( garden hose without connector or similar-with some pressure)into the tank connector valve.
    Once all is ready, position your machine in a location where if water is splashed no domestics will ensue.
    Plug your machine into power point with switch power point on,brew switch to remain off.
    Position your water supply onto the tank valve connector and test some water flow for confirming good sealing,little amount of spray shouldn't matter as long as most water is being directed into machine.
    Now ,with you water supply operating, ( water flowing) turn brewing switch to on position.
    Hopefully, you should now be getting water flowing from brew head shower screen,cease water flowing and immediately switch to off position.
    Clear away water injection arrangement and return full tank onto your machine,confirm correct flow with brew switch on position.
    If the above worked successfully ,you have successfully reprimed the water circuit,if not you will need to remove the rear cover of your machine and do the same again,this time directly into the inlet hose of the water pump.
    If both of the above do nothing for your machine's water flow we can look at plan's E & F (?).
    Good luck and see how you go.
    cheers
    Mick

Thanks mate ill try this out next then get back if in need of further help..

Hello Megascanz,
    Sounds like you are going well with your machine's fault finding, not far to go now.
    With your machine's power off,remove the water tank and locate the water inlet connection valve.
    Using a means to inject water ( garden hose without connector or similar-with some pressure)into the tank connector valve.
    Once all is ready, position your machine in a location where if water is splashed no domestics will ensue.
    Plug your machine into power point with switch power point on,brew switch to remain off.
    Position your water supply onto the tank valve connector and test some water flow for confirming good sealing,little amount of spray shouldn't matter as long as most water is being directed into machine.
    Now ,with you water supply operating, ( water flowing) turn brewing switch to on position.
    Hopefully, you should now be getting water flowing from brew head shower screen,cease water flowing and immediately switch to off position.
    Clear away water injection arrangement and return full tank onto your machine,confirm correct flow with brew switch on position.
    If the above worked successfully ,you have successfully reprimed the water circuit,if not you will need to remove the rear cover of your machine and do the same again,this time directly into the inlet hose of the water pump.
    If both of the above do nothing for your machine's water flow we can look at plan's E & F (?).
    cheers
    Mick

Hello Megascanz,
    cheers
    Mick
    Ok mick back at it finally and I have got this far .....
    I have turned machine on and listened for sound first off.
    when I turn power on and then turn switch to brew position i hear a small click (solenoid?) but no pumping sounds whatsoever

I have removed tank and cover but am not quite sure exactly where you want me to prime so to save time i have done done (as pictured below)
    sunbeam.jpg
    Thus far i removed pipe that needs a pipe spanner to remove (see pics)
    after removing i plugged back in to power (carefully) and turned power on and turned dial to brew again
    click was heard again but no action
    does that mean that this part is stuffed (see pic below)
    sunbeam2.jpg
    or does it mean that this is the part that needs to be primed???
    if it means yes this is what i need to prime do i prime at point a or remove pipe and prime at point b (in the picture below here)
    sunbeam3.jpg

or could it mean one of these parts (pictured and lettered c and d below )could be the problem and / or are faulty?

the other parts i have cleaned as you can see below
    sunbeam handle holder.JPG

sunbeamhandle.JPG
    this is a pic off net but i have removed all and cleaned everything properly inside the above handle here

If your pump was airlocked you would know about it. It's probably the loudest noise a machine like this can make. I don't think this is the problem.

Do you have access to a multimeter? If you do, we can suggest some tests that you can conduct without needing the machine to be on. It would be inadvisable for you to perform testing within the machine when it is on, too many exposed 240V components.

Megascanz,
    Thanks for all your images,really thorough fault finding going on here!
    Your image of the pump has it's high pressure outlet disconnected,that fine except that's where the water comes out,you need to inject water into the inlet (the other end of the pump) A or B either would do as both are inlets to the pump itself (or tube end B).
    As you have everything accessible now anyway,I suggest you undo the pump assemble altogether and have it positioned beside the machine for testing.
    Please be aware as all of this is interconnected to 240volts AC,presenting a real life electrocution possibility,don't touch any live conductors.
    The pump,as you describe, is making very little if any noise so it may be blocked and in need of clearing however,testing is necessary to confirm this.
    Inject water into the pump as explained above,make sure machine is plugged in and turned on at plug end.
    Once water is flowing into pump,switch on brewing switch......... hopefully water should flow out the disconnected pump outlet.
    If water is flowing correctly then switch brewing switch off and if you are confident everything is good again reassemble your machine.
    Do not leave machine on, even if brew switch is off because heating element will be active and heating without water being available!
    If no joy with water flow,disconnect all power and disassemble the pump itself...do a google search for UKLA vibration pumps and you will find many examples of how to disassemble /clear/reassemble again,very easy as long as no small parts are misplaced and reassemble is the reverse of disassembly!
    Would be a good idea to confirm(multimeteror wires with light globe (240v)) whether an electrical voltage (at the pump terminals) is present when brew switch is in on position.
    See how you go with all of this,I have parts I could send at postage cost if necessary.
    Cheers
    Mick

Megascanz,
    Thanks for all your images,really thorough fault finding going on here!
    Your image of the pump has it's high pressure outlet disconnected,that fine except that's where the water comes out,you need to inject water into the inlet (the other end of the pump) A or B either would do as both are inlets to the pump itself (or tube end B).
    As you have everything accessible now anyway,I suggest you undo the pump assemble altogether and have it positioned beside the machine for testing.
    Please be aware as all of this is interconnected to 240volts AC,presenting a real life electrocution possibility,don't touch any live conductors.
    The pump,as you describe, is making very little if any noise so it may be blocked and in need of clearing however,testing is necessary to confirm this.
    Inject water into the pump as explained above,make sure machine is plugged in and turned on at plug end.
    Once water is flowing into pump,switch on brewing switch......... hopefully water should flow out the disconnected pump outlet.
    If water is flowing correctly then switch brewing switch off and if you are confident everything is good again reassemble your machine.
    Do not leave machine on, even if brew switch is off because heating element will be active and heating without water being available!
    If no joy with water flow,disconnect all power and disassemble the pump itself...do a google search for UKLA vibration pumps and you will find many examples of how to disassemble /clear/reassemble again,very easy as long as no small parts are misplaced and reassemble is the reverse of disassembly!
    Would be a good idea to confirm(multimeter or wires with light globe (240v)) whether an electrical voltage (at the pump terminals) is present when brew switch is in on position.
    See how you go with all of this,I have parts I could send at postage cost if necessary.
    Cheers
    Mick
    Ok I have connected a hose to the pump inlet but cannot prime water through any further - its as though theres air pressure inside the pump thats stopping the water going in.. i am not confident applying any more pressure than i can by blowing into the hose - (water vs electricity not a good mix)

this is as far as i have gone today ill try to do the pump next if i can but am unsure how to get it out as i cannot access the screws to get it off to pull apart-

Megascanz,
    Not necessary to remove any screws to take out the pump,as per your image (first thing,make sure not plugged in and turned on or zappo!).
    Unscrew the brass nut connecting the outlet hose and slip out through the top rubber mounting.
    Remove the silicone rubber hose off the pump inlet (bottom of pump),this leaves the pump connected by electrical supply wires only,you need the pump energised for conclusive testing (priming).
    Place pump into a position that will allow water connection (with pressure) when water is turned on and flowing ,switch on brewing switch to activate pump.....hopefully you will have water flowing correctly.
    I have not yet found a ukla pump that cannot be disassembled and cleared /made operational again.
    Cheers
    Mick