Thread: Cafe Roma challenge

Cafe Roma challenge

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    In my quest to get the most out of our cafe roma, today I fitted the Krupps non pressurised basket plus a new sunbeam group seal while I was at it, looks identical to the breville seal. The krupps basket lacks the raised ridge of the breville basket, this ridge seems to sit inside the seal dont know if it is to aid sealing or location of the basket.
    Also splurged and bought a Rocky.
    So I did the Rocky zero check and proceeded to "dial" in the grinder. I have the rocky set at 21, with a firm tamp the result is pretty watery, less than 21 and pressure escapes from the seal so its either a gusher or a blown seal. :( I am using the original plastic "tamper" even though this a lowly machine would a proper tamper allow me control the tamp to slow the pour for a better result, I was thinking of a budget $20.00 stainless steel job.
    Maybe the krupps baskets wont hold the pressure like the ridged originals, does anyone have any experience with using these baskets, Im sort of trying to avoid depressurising the originals.
    Any help appreciated.

Re: Cafe Roma challenge

if its not sealing well then no variation of dose/tamp/grind is going to help you. have you tried it with the original basket? if this doesnt work either then perhaps the seal is different or installed incorrectly. If it does work then I guess the basket doesnt really fit. maybe it would be possible to space the basket upwards or the seal downwards to create a stronger seal under pressure?

I think the seal itself is ok it had nice resistance when attaching the pf compared to the old one, the Krups basket lacks the ridge of the original this may be the problem.

try using the factory basket with a fine grind, (fine enough to choke the machine would be good) that way you can confirm or exlude the new basket as the problem.

Vicroamer,

I had exactly the same problem with my Sunbeam when I changed to the Krups baskets. I found (after a lot of mucking around and fine-tuning) that if i ground JUST right, and tamped JUST right.....then most of the time it was ok - but I did still get the odd gusher. A lot of perseverance will probably see you through.

The other solution, which seemed to work better for me, was to get a Saeco basket - Im not sure of the model number or anything - I just took my pf into the saeco repairer just around the corner, and they had one which almost fit (its about a mm too small, so it tends to fall out when I dump the puck). Obviously better too small than too big (at least it still fits in the pf), but it does have the ridge around the edge that youre talking about.

Grand total was about $7 for the Saeco one - might be worth a try.

The downsides: It does still gush if I havent dialled in properly on a new batch of beans, but its nowhere near as common as with the Krups basket. (but it is happening more often lately because Ive got a loose pf anyway, and the seal is just about ready to be replaced too). Also, the ridge is actually slightly bigger than on the original baskets - so if youve got a really tight pf to begin with, it might not suit....

The upside: well, you already know the upside. Thats why you replaced it in the first place.... ;)

hope that helps,

J

Just tried a different bean, and was able to dial down 2 more numbers it held up ok so might be able dial down a bit more with this bean.

Before spending money on a new tamper which may or may not remedy the problem-- and in the end will become redundant if you upgrade-- try finding something else which closely fits the basket. Such as a drinking glass, and try that.

-Robusto

Good Idea I will have a hunt around.

Quote Originally Posted by vicroamer link=1177327688/0#5 date=1177360952
    Just tried a different bean, and was able to dial down 2 more numbers it held up ok so might be able dial down a bit more with this bean.
    adjusting grind/tamp/dose isnt going to help your problem if its not sealing tight enough. those 3 things combine to give you the 9bars of back pressure. grinding courser and tamping harder or dosing more etc, will still give you 9bars if the extraction is right. which means this is the pressure that the seal needs to cope with or your extractions will be compromised.

Re: My Cafe Roma challenge

With the Krupps basket not holding pressure for me I decided to go to plan "B", modify the original basket. Found my old chain saw sharpener in the shed the other day it has a small grind stone and hooks on to a car battery, just the thing for some delicate grinding. The little hole in the original pressurised basket is now a 6mil hole in a now unpressurised basket, dosed it up, whacked it in and success, the seal held. Theres not much room between the inner and outer baskets so will have to keep an eye on it in case the inner basket bows under the pressure and sits against the outer basket floor cutting off flow, it already had a bit of a bow, original or caused by pressure dont know which.
    Am now experimenting with grinds and tamps, first brew was probably the best, must have been holding my mouth right with that one ::) will get some more beens on weekend and keep experimenting.

Interestingly I suggested just what youve done after someone found out that trying to cut the whole bottom section off doesnt work. Oops.

Opening up the single hole to relieve the pressure seemed the simplest idea after that.

Im awaiting further reports of how it goes.

Yep TG, read your suggestion, also read Tasadams warning about drilling and damaging the inner filter. Found the chainsaw sharpener and thought ahh! this will do.

Good onya.

Re: My Cafe Roma challenge, tamper problems

After sorting out the basket I purchased a tamper to replace the bendy plastic thing which came with the machine, bought one of those chinese made highly polished things, looks great, if only it would fit. >:( The thing has tapered sides, as in wider at the top, stupid thing only goes in a few millimetres thats all, why anyone would make a tamper for 53 mil baskets that dosent fit is beyond me. As I see it I will have to continue to use the plastic bendy undersize "tamper" pressing around the edges or use it to prepack the basket and use the pretty one for a final push for the last couple of millimetres but from what Ive read a double tamp is not a good thing.
    Any suggestions any one?
    And yes I am aware of a site sponsors product but this is cheap thermoblock not a long term thing, if I had a decent machine it would be worth the investment.
    Part 2.
    After having a french press, settling down, and getting out the vernier I now realise it is not tapered top to bottom but rather the bottom tapers in allowing a few mil to fit in, the base of the thing is probably a mil to large just enough to stop the rest from fitting in, looks like I will have to file a bit off to make it fit. Any ideas on doing this without a lathe?

Re: My Cafe Roma challenge, tamper problems

Quote Originally Posted by vicroamer link=1177327688/0#13 date=1177745881
    looks like I will have to file a bit off to make it fit. Any ideas on doing this without a lathe?
    Gday VR,

If the tamper handle can be removed via a stud fixed to the base or similar, you may be able to then remove the stud and replace it with a suitable sacrificial bolt or screw that you can then clamp into the jaws of a drill-chuck.... hey presto! One mini-lathe ;). The whole thing would be a lot easier and probably safer to do in a drill press rather than a hand-held power drill, etc. Anyway, just run it up to speed and probably use emery sticks of various grades from coarse through to fine until it is the right size and finish. Maybe polish it off with ever finer wet&dry for a professional looking final job. All the best mate,

Mal.

Re: My Cafe Roma challenge

Since its a bit of a trip to return it, I took to it with a file, an hour later, I now have a hand fitted tamper, and it looks it ::). Maybe I was just unlucky but I suggest anyone buying one of these "Incasa" tampers take a basket with them to get one that fits.